LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Step decks are used to make the board flex when on the nose, thus straightening out the rocker in the board giving you more speed and a little more performance feel in the nose. The type of log you get is really dependent on the way you want to surf and the style of the board. There are some noseriders like a David Nuuhiwa that has little nose rocker and a large amount of tail rocker. Seeing as you are getting a couple hundred dollar security deposit back I would recommend stopping into Beach House or Heritage and taking a look at some of their logs. Bing makes a couple of user friendly noseriders that will do everything you described above. Don't fall into the whole east coast/west coast crap a board is a board, some are for different waves/conditions, but ideally waves on both coasts are the same.

Flex is a result of a step deck, but the purpose is to strategically place volume while not affecting performance. And you couldn't be more wrong about waves being the same on both coasts.

Images
    a board is a board
    not all boards are created equal...

Mahady- that is one sweet pintail...

3. Please explain to me the difference in waves from east coast to west coast. In my opinion for every wave on the west coast there is an identical on the east coast.

Please explain to me the difference in waves from east coast to west coast. In my opinion for every wave on the west coast there is an identical on the east coast.
    Answer me this, what's the average wave period on the West Coast vs East Coast?

The theory behind a stepdeck is to make the nose rocker flatten when nose riding and to swing the nose around quicker since there is less swing weight up front.
    As for there is no difference in waves on the west and east this is not true. I surfed California and every year I surf on the west coast of Mexico, these waves are totally different, they are more relaxed open faced waves, perfect for a flatter rocker board like Bing, Hobie, Hansen etc. Here in Jersey where I lived my whole life and surfed is a whole different animal. steeper pitchier waves most of the time, the swell never lines up and you have to take what you can get. This is where you need a east coast designed board with more rocker to handle the steeper drops and late take offs. I've been surfing for 39 years and building boards for over 10 years, not just shaping, building them start to finish whether it's poly or epoxy and I do full restorations on all the old time classic boards. I think I'm more than qualified
    Last edited by Mahady Surfboards; May 8, 2012 at 08:16 PM.

If not, talk to Ron at Spellbinders in Allenhurst.
    great shop to get wax or maybe a leash....but if you want a custom board...well lets just say I and many others have had less then good experiences there

Please explain to me the difference in waves from east coast to west coast. In my opinion for every wave on the west coast there is an identical on the east coast.
    Are you being serious in that question? Size, frequency, type of swell, the difference is the Pacific and the Atlantic. In your opinion what are the identical waves to Maverick's, Rincon, Black's (Just to name a few)?

Also to the OP, I would definitely check Craigslist. While it's cool to support your local shops they can be kind of pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by austinj215 View Post
    While it's cool to support your local shops they can be kind of pricey.
    Surf shops make very little money off surfboards. Actually, when you consider overhead costs and rack space they practically make nothing on them. The boards are what draw you in to buy other goods with 100%+ mark-up. The highest mark up on a shortboard I know is $125, which works out to around 25 - 30%. Go directly to the shaper, build a relationship, and save a few dollars. Then go to your local surf shop, oogle some boards and buy some wax, a leash and a T-shirt.

9. So is that to say boards built on the west coast are not good for the east coast? I understand the philosophy of where boards can be tailored to say a wave in jersey, but in the grand scheme of things boards made in California seem to have been working on the east coast for years. When you travel the east coast the waves vary, a rocky point break in the north isn't the same as a heaving beach break in the south. Point being that there are similarities in waves. East coast shapers like to think that west coast boards are taboo for our waves, while frankly they are not. Tom there is no doubt in my mind that you can tailor a board to the waves in jersey, i firmly believe you have that ability. But if someone wants to hop on a bing/hobie/etc. then thats their choice. Its just annoying at times when every post seems like a sales pitch to buy from one of the local jersey shapers.

10. +1 For Beach House those guys are awesome. Too bad that you weren't around this past weekend they had a swap meet with a lot of really nice boards at some incredible prices! Craigslist is also a good resource for finding some good deals as well!