LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    How about keeping your eyes open. Actually I'd rather surf around most kooks than most good surfers. You can surf around them, get a lot more waves - they're slow and predictable and miss most waves they try for, and usually give up pretty quickly.

i dont mean to judge you bodyboard dude but how/why are you surfing with your back turned? also it sounds like this happened rather quickly, if you didnt have time to see him how could he have time to see you? if by chance you were turned around performing the ancient hawaiin sign of respect to the ocean for granting you waves, respect and i apolagize, if not your story is full of holes just like your board and there was more than one kook in the water.

My back was turned because im regular footed cutting right on a wave so i would not see anybody who is standing behind me who was probably watching me ride the wave

Accidents happen but you put yourself in these situations. Look around... where was this? certain breaks have higher kook population densities, like first street and kook-a-tan (or croatnam if you will). Find your own peak and you can go back to worrying about surfing.

If it's high tide or a weak swell and I have to surf a crowded spot I just give everyone around me sh*tty looks from the get-go and rarely have problems. Ever since I grew a beard the kids stay out of my way. I think I remind them of their abusive fathers....

Nice Lee, the beard helps. A shaved head and a Pagans MC head tattoo helps as well!

http://kehayaphoto.com http://www.southendsurf.com/
    Images
    I feel like this is something that happens to every surfer at one point or another and it gets more risky out there as the water and weather warm up. The results of this type of thing range from a near miss, to a dinged board, or someone loosing and eye, Yes, I saw that happen, but I was not involved. This situation could have been much worse.

On the other hand the guy should have offered to pay for your ding repair and apologized. It's hard to make a clueless person understand that the person riding has the right of way. Especially hard when they are facing a pricey ding repair. It seems like nobody wants to take responsability for their actions anymore. Hopefully this story will teach people that they need to do so. The guy was just a kook and a coward, afraid to admit he was wrong and pay for it.

On the flip side of the coin if you see someone down the line who can not get out of the way then you should always try to avoid hitting them if you can.

Also...look where you're going lol!

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardNJ View Post
    My back was turned because im regular footed cutting right on a wave so i would not see anybody who is standing behind me who was probably watching me ride the wave
    how do you hit someone who is standing behind you? sorry dude but this story does not add up and leads me to my original conclusion.

I've never really had that happen to me, But It was crowded one day & Ponce inlet fl, and the surf was starting to push overhead & A bigger set came in and I was to far inside So I had to duckdive it but I timed it wrong by about a second nd I was trying to hold onto my board but It got ripped out of my hands, and Some guy caught it. I was kinda scared. I said I was sorry like 15 times . I was like 13 at the time though .

Images
    When your his age you wont give a crap either and you'll be the one tormenting people........two wrongs dont make a right so forget about it and move on.

remember, folks: the rider on the wave has right of way. it is not his/her responsibility to avoid you, it is YOUR responsibility to avoid the rider! if that means paddling into the whitewater & taking the wave on the head, so be it!
    you have it backwards - the person surfing is the one responsible for avoiding the obstacle