LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    i get scared all the time in big surf... too many times to remember which time was the scariest. Although, Puerto Escondido sets on the head and rogue sets at Waimea Bay Shorey come to mind. Also, seeing a crocodile in the water in Costa was a bit spine tingling.

If you don't have any fear surfing, your not pushing yourself enough.

Frisco pier one May.... when it was actually a working pier. Solid 3'-DOH breaking on the third bar waaaaaay out. It was me with two other friends and a bodyboarder approaching sundown and the ocean was alive. All of a sudden we hear frantic screaming from the end of the pier and look to see three fishermen with their rods doubled over. Turns out they had a trio of Black Tips in the 150+ lb range hooked up. This is when we turn to look in towards the impact zone to see Bluefish jumping straight out of the water (not a common sight).... then the frenzy erupts. Fins everywhere within 50 feet of us and we were caught on three sides by the pier, open ocean and the sharks between us and the beach. All four of us huddled together laying on our boards with our feet and hands out of the water, it's getting dark now. Set comes, and we all take the same wave but I get detonated by the foam explosion, at least I think I did--it didn't feel like the normal whitewater blowup... My board just wasn't beneath my feet all of a sudden. This was before the second bar, so it was really deep and I got pushed down and drug, pitch black underwater in the feeding frenzy impact zone. Luckily I was dragged to the second bar where I finally could yank my leash and push off the bottom directly onto my board just as a foam burger was coming my way to take me all the way to the sand. I got to the beach and my friends plus the bodyboarder were standing there completely freaked--they knew I went down and could not see me since it was dark. Turns out all three pier fishermen got their catches to the beach and were getting ready to load them in a truck. They were huge. Needless to say, many beers were drank that night and not a whole lot of talking. To this day I still wonder if I hit a shark after making the drop on that wave and how on earth I could get pushed into the middle of them dragging behind my board like a big lure and not get bit.

That was freaky.

Then again, I was surfing Mase with a group of 5 or 6 friends in the middle of the summer on a chest high crumbly day with no cloud in the sky and crystal clear water when I was around 13 years old. One of my friends was paddling towards me from about 20 yards away.... in a school of mullet. All of a sudden he screams and is pulled off his board. Comes up "I got ****ing bit!" over and over again. We scramble towards him, the water is getting red. Pull him to the beach, wrap his arm, get in boat and haul ass to Seapath (this is before cell phones) where we got some serious first aid started and called the ambulance. 40 something stitches and nerve damage that is still not fully healed to this day, all on a lazy summer day in ideal weather. No one ever saw the shark but they thought it was a Sharpnose or a Spinner
    Last edited by Erock; May 14, 2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

Duck reasearch pier always gave me the heebie jeebies as well

Images
    Monster Hole...southside Sebastion Inlet, 1/2 mile paddle out, 3 ft. overhead and a slight offshore wind, sounds good right.....at first light, first one out, trust me, they dont call it monster hole for nothing, huge sharks there. Did feel a little better when others paddled out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    The creepiest situation I have ever experienced happened right near home, Assateague Island to be exact. I arrived at the beach first thing in the morning to perfect conditions. A friend was right behind and we kept commenting that this was too good to be true, I mean perfect conditions, solid surf and no one out. Turns out we were right to be concerned. We suited up paddled out and caught a few good waves but the feeling was always there, like the shoe was gonna drop and it was hard to relax. Then we saw it, it was huge like 10 feet long with a giant fin. It was circling just outside of us right as a set approached. We turned hoping to catch the wave and get away but it seemed to catch the wave and was coming right at us. We felt a mixture of fear and annoyance all at once. Not only were we afraid for our life but it ruined a perfect set. Just as it got close it lost momentum and then just sat there. Finally it struggled to it's feet, moaned something about getting old, grabbed its paddle and made it's way back to the outside. I got a good look at it as it paddled away. I would put it at around 55 years old with a greyish paler to the skin and a clueless look to it's face. I will never forget that morning.

lol you had me going... was picturing this shark! haha

Images
    1st sketchiest moment actually. nicaragua a couple months ago. while coming back from a surf saw a board floating out there with the nose moving but tail staying still. looked for 10 seconds dropped my board and swam out. when i got to the board i took a breath and pulled on the leash, saw a leg come up from the bottom and then grabbed the guy and pulled him up, waved people to come to the shore and help him out. he was unconscious and at the bottom so i knew it was probably too late. i swam him in and let some guys do cpr on him, but it was too late, he broke his neck on the bottom and drown, he was a good surfer too, RIP Philipe

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    The creepiest situation I have ever experienced happened right near home, Assateague Island to be exact. I arrived at the beach first thing in the morning to perfect conditions. A friend was right behind and we kept commenting that this was too good to be true, I mean perfect conditions, solid surf and no one out. Turns out we were right to be concerned. We suited up paddled out and caught a few good waves but the feeling was always there, like the shoe was gonna drop and it was hard to relax. Then we saw it, it was huge like 10 feet long with a giant fin. It was circling just outside of us right as a set approached. We turned hoping to catch the wave and get away but it seemed to catch the wave and was coming right at us. We felt a mixture of fear and annoyance all at once. Not only were we afraid for our life but it ruined a perfect set. Just as it got close it lost momentum and then just sat there. Finally it struggled to it's feet, moaned something about getting old, grabbed its paddle and made it's way back to the outside. I got a good look at it as it paddled away. I would put it at around 55 years old with a greyish paler to the skin and a clueless look to it's face. I will never forget that morning.
    if i was the head staff at surfermag,you would have won everything lol,great story.i dont have a scary story like the rest of yall,but one time a few years ago,i used to go down to gunnison (hook hook if anyone knows) and youd see a lot of scary **** down there.one time i was tanning when i looked up and saw a nice rack followed by the biggest pepe i have ever seen.another time i was trying to hook my friend up with one of the swingers when there husband came out the tent and chased me away saying he was going to break my nose lol.a lot of fun but weird times,iv surfed that beach for years with not a single surfer in sight,havent been there in 3 summers,but im sure its still the same.everyone should experience it sometime in their life

getting caught inside on a DOH+ day at a rocky pointbreak in rhodie during the katia swell. took some serious beatings that day. also got some rediculous rides. Or maybe solo session on capecod stomry conditions with thick fog and nobody out but me and some seals. definetly some sharky vibes that day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by germanguy View Post
    Well, was just thinking about it.

Which was the spot that really scared me ?

and i DONT necessarily mean scary judging the wavesize. could be scary/eery atmosphere, gross marine life or other hazards too.

for me it would be a Day in may in northern france, brittany. The last days was severe storm, and allthough it was sunny, the air was crisp and cold.

To avoid crowds, Me and my brother packed the SUV and went looking for some nice spots along the coast. Brittany is a place of dozens of unknow breaks, hidden in small coves or protected by cliffs and rocks.

after looking for an hour we found a deserted beachbreak, in front of some large rocks. The water was really cold and foamy. Waves were overhead+ with some large sets coming in and we were only ones in water. Perfect A Frames, but long paddle out.

I was just paddling out, and realized that the paddle out was even longer than we judged from the beach, and once we made it to lineup we both just got this eery feeling:

to much rocks in the water, a pounding inside filled with kelp, no one at the beach, no town around you for miles, long walk from beach, and you just dont want to know what else is swimming around in the water.

besides that the water was deep blue and rich in sediments, so you had like no vision whats beneath the surface.

got some nice waves there but wiping/paddling/sitting for sets was no fun at all, because of this constant sinister feeling.
    was that Point de la Torche?

if i was the head staff at surfermag,you would have won everything lol,great story.
    LOL, I wonder if there are any awards on swellinfo?