LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is it???

I'm not intolerant of new surfers. I'm intolerant of ANY surfer who doesn't understand etiquette and puts the safety and enjoyment of others in jeopardy. Unfortunately, most of the time, those are new surfers.

When I first started out, I WOULD NOT paddle out into a crowded break, even with my friends. I knew that I didn't have enough control over my board to be around that many people. So for a few months, I surfed alone at a place a little further down the beach where there was barely anyone else out. After I got comfortable and in control of my board, I paddled out with the rest of the pack.

There is nothing wrong with learning to surf, but I wouldn't recommend paddling out into a crowded break until you:

A: Know your limits

B: Know etiquette

C: Can control your board

Just some advice. Best of luck to you.

in my 25 years of surfing, I've had waay more problems, mostly being dropped in on, but overly aggro exerienced surfers than beginners. I can't remember the last time a beginner got in my way. I've been dropped in on twice in the past week by guys who either weren't looking or didn't care.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBshredneck View Post
    Everything is up to individuality. If the kook is a **** head he\SHE needs to be taught a saftey lesson. If the kid asks for help be responsive. Like the admin says..."Be a leader". Treat people how you want to be treated even if you dont get it back. It's good karma and a good way to live.
    No need to say anything else...........Karma

I help kids all the time, and some adults haha,

Images
    Yeah, If i see someone who is obviously starting out I give em a few pointers on paddling and let them know to avoid the rest of the pack and watch to see who has priority on the wave. Of course if I vibe that they are an ass hat then no...I'm going to paddle around them an be on my way.

Growing up 35 minutes from my local break i was treated as an outcast, even if I was first in last out of the water. Local-ism is not cool, go get ****ed if you think you own a break. I get that seniority plays a role and wave priority is key, but I ****ing hate it when I'll be in the water for an hour and some twat paddles out and completely disregards rotation or wave priority.

Respect, and quit being a twat.

Images
    here on the gulfcoast the waves are few and far apart.i think that plays in good surfers not
    helping anybody with tips or help,cause they have been dropped in on good waves by said
    learners.when we do get surf it breaks the same 300ft down the beach as it does where
    most people are sitting and beginner's don't seem to understand that.as a pro photographer
    i have seen this happen.
    ronindex.

7. Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    your first mistake is assuming that surfing is a 'peaceful relaxing brotherhood'. very bad assumption.
    so we should all be vikings? and cause mayhem and not help the people that need the help. i dont kno where u surf but its all about being mellow not some jerkoff but if thats how u role i respect but pretty ****ty

8. Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool View Post
    When a beginner needs to be talked to, I will talk to them, when they need to be yelled at, I will yell at them, if they nod and say good morning, I will nod and say it back. I COMMUNICATE whether in a negative or positive context. I am old, big, mean, and mean looking. I get the point across. The key to a safe session is to communicate through talking, through body language and through your surfing. When I see other locals ignoring the other people in the lineup (shoobs, bennies, Massholes, beginners, what have you) it creates a dangerous situation. Guide them, don't treat em like speed bumps. if you are really the overseer of the break, then oversee it.
    Very true two thumbs up for this reply

9. Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    "Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool
    When a beginner needs to be talked to, I will talk to them, when they need to be yelled at, I will yell at them, if they nod and say good morning, I will nod and say it back. I COMMUNICATE whether in a negative or positive context. I am old, big, mean, and mean looking. I get the point across. The key to a safe session is to communicate through talking, through body language and through your surfing. When I see other locals ignoring the other people in the lineup (shoobs, bennies, Massholes, beginners, what have you) it creates a dangerous situation. Guide them, don't treat em like speed bumps. if you are really the overseer of the break, then oversee it."

What is with this Localism!?! A talking too? I understand saying something to keep others at the break safe is required but everything else is just playing into your ego. Your big, old, mean, and mean looking but for the most part are just an AVERAGE!!!, surfer just like the rest of us. You want to communicate to make yourself feel important at your local break...thats just plain lame! Locals are super lame on the east coast. If you call yourself a Local of any break you are a loser because there are so many other great waves on any given swell. Travel and explore. I'm sorry I just have a big gripe with this style because your not actually getting your point across. Dont get me wrong, I will let someone know too but only if it is required. And rather than trying to intimidate them (which never works anyways) have a conversation and TEACH not speak at them. It only takes 30 seconds to explain bad manners and why it is dangerous to us all. Simple, keep that lame A*S localism at your mediocre east coast beach break.

To the kid who started the thread...if you want advice...ASK!!!! A Closed mouth does not get fed! There are plenty of people who are willing to help, they just need a little push not to be scumbags. Shaka
    i started this post because ive seen this happen to new guys i wanted the peoples input on it. but thank you for ur input

Quote Originally Posted by usmcchristian12 View Post
    so we should all be vikings? and cause mayhem and not help the people that need the help. i dont kno where u surf but its all about being mellow not some jerkoff but if thats how u role i respect but pretty ****ty
    you bought into the hollywood portrayal of surfing. in reality its a dog eat dog scramble to getas many waves as each person can get. hopefully within the boundaries of etiquette.