LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting to Shape Boards

I am going to shape my first surfboard at the end of the school year and I have been watching videos and stuff like that, but I don't know all the materials I need. I know I have all the tools. If you guys could show me how glass a board from start to finish or if there are directions online. I don't know if I am in the right forum. I joined like 2 minutes ago.

check out swaylocks.com they have all the information you need..

PM me... I teach a board building class at Brookdale Community College. The next class runs in August. I know you don't want to wait that long, but I have a materials list I give the students that I can send you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman9398 View Post
    If you guys could show me how glass a board from start to finish or if there are directions online.
    I glassed my first board with no real previous glassing experience other than some ding repair knowledge, and by methodically following the instruction on this video Glassing 101by John Carper:

http://www.swellinfo.com/store/?rout...product_id=294

My board came out fine, and so will yours if you follow his instuctions precisely. This all assumes you are already somewhat capable of doing ding repair and know your way around cloth/resin/catylist etc. If you dont know how to do that stuff, then glassing an entire board isnt the place to start.
    Last edited by mitchell; May 17, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks guys and lbcrew. I will most likely be attending your August class at the college. Is there an age limit? I am 13.

No age limit, but you'll be working with power tools, so your parents should be made aware of that.

13!!! Hell yeah man. Way to get an early start. Good for you and good luck dude. Thats sick

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    13!!! Hell yeah man. Way to get an early start. Good for you and good luck dude. Thats sick
    Awesome! the next generation of shapers is among us!

Yeah my dad said I can shape the boards in the garage. I'm just slightly confused on the glassing process and how fully smooth out the board after shaping.

Shaping boards in the garage

HAHA, Dad's gonna flip the first time you glass a board and he's sees all the hardened resin on the floor. I remember how PO'd my Dada would get when I used to chang the oil in my Gen 1 Rx7 in the garage and didn't throw down some kitty litter. Ventilation is highly overrated too, you won't need those brain cells, they grow back. I just cleaned out my Father-In-Law's board shed. He's got it split into two rooms, one for shaping and sanding, one for glassing. I'd cleaned it out right before Christmas too. I filled up an entire trash can with foam dust and scrap (F.I.L's a dirty ol' bird ). I don't even try to get the hardened resin up any more in the glass room, that's character. You might want to put an old shower curtain down before you start and a fan in the garage door blowing out. I guarantee you, both those measures will turn out to be inadequate, but they're better than nothing. Not that I'm advocating eitehr of those things. I better put in a disclaimer, don't try this at home. You might want to go beg a local shaper to let you watch in return for cleaning and what not. I believe back in the day this was called an apprenticeship. Different than a schooner. I personally took the easier route, I married a shaper's daughter, but I still end up cleaning the shop. I myself am not a surf board shaper. I am a hobbyist.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 13, 2012 at 07:58 PM.