LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kook Advice

Kook Advice

Opening up for comments. Newbie, 6'4", using a Surftech August What I Ride 10'.
    When popping up I am getting caught with both feet too far back on the board.
    Been at this a bit longer that I'd like to admit. Trying to avoid going the SUP route,
    prefer to paddle. Not a fan of SUP, but love the ocean. Lining up schedule for lessons has been a challenge. Located in the Northeast. Any tips would be appreciated. Reasonably fit, no problems with pushups.
    Thanks

Images
    just keep doing it, the only way to get better is practice... repetition. know your limits and just have.

Try positioning yourself further up on the board, and when you are popping up try to bring your feet forward underneath you. It seems your not moving your feet when you pop up at all, so when you attempt to get up on the wave, how ever far back they are on the board is where you end up standing and thus sinking the tail and losing the wave. Take a look at this video on how to pop up, see how he brings his front foot way up? hope this helps a little http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLfd_fwGfY

Images
    foot placement is so critical for me...even after many years, i don't always get it right. if i keep my stance wide and get my back foot in the right place, i can do anything. if i don't, i spend the rest of the wave trying to adjust and compensate.

Images
    Sounds like you're pushing yourself up to the back of the board instead of pushing your chest off the board and bringing your feet underneath you...........Keep practicing........and watch oldsouls video.....

STOP EATING MEATLOAF! fatty.

Do pop ups everyday on the ground. 3 sets of 10 minimum.
    I know it looks corny but this helped a buddy of mine that just started.

http://nohosurf.com/

dont do anything. quit.

Another option...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSoul View Post
    Try positioning yourself further up on the board, and when you are popping up try to bring your feet forward underneath you. It seems your not moving your feet when you pop up at all, so when you attempt to get up on the wave, how ever far back they are on the board is where you end up standing and thus sinking the tail and losing the wave. Take a look at this video on how to pop up, see how he brings his front foot way up? hope this helps a little http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLfd_fwGfY
    First of all, I agree with everything above and if that works for you, great. But if not, position yourself a bit further forward as OldSoul suggests and try coming up first with just your left leg and foot (if regular footed) and then pivoting onto your right food. You should be able to do this on a 10 foot board. I have taught a number of people to surf this way and based it on a wrestling maneuver called the inside leg stand up. I wrestled for years (high school, college, etc.) and really only picked up surfing at the age of 39 after spinal surgery from a wrestling injury. After practicing standing up like this, eventually you will get the pop up. The attached video is a wrestling demonstrationof the inside leg stand up. Good luck!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FzqIM9Or-8

The rule of thumb I use to get into the paddling/popping up sweet spot on a longboard is to position myself so the tip of the nose is only about an inch above the water when paddling. The nose will plow through chop, so if it's choppy keep this in mind. The video by surfer23451 looks spot on for practicing popping up.

Once you get the hang of that you can try trickier stuff like dragging your back foot in the wave face as a pivot point (meaning you only have your front foot on your board). Classic. Or do a headstand instead of standing up, that's pretty cool too.