LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: Why do some short boarders insist on not wearing a leash?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • They have an acute need to show everyone they are the best surfers ever to grace the beach

13 41.94%
  • According to them, they NEVER EVER EVER lose their board

8 25.81%
  • They are self-important narcissistic phvktards

9 29.03%
  • Gruvi doesn't wear a leash, so why should they?

5 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leashes

Leashes

Was at Mase yesterday and almost got a board between the eyes while paddling out. The perp was one of the semi-local (I think actually a MB local) "shredders" who many have seen in vid edits posted here and on other sites in the past. I have gotten into it with this kid a couple times over the past few years because he is a complete douche in the water. This was just par for the course for him--no regard for anyone around him. That said, I wanted to pose this question.

Discuss

BTW, I'm not talking about longboarders.

Idk if you guys have a lifeguard where you surf or not there yet, but if you do just talk him about the kid and say he's causing a dangerous situation for anybody in the water.

This is on an uninhabited island. Let me also clarify, by "kid" I mean in his early 20's.

Images
    i dont wear my leash when its small becuase i do feel it drag when i surf. but when its good i wear a leash. not wearing a leash makes some people commit more to landing their turns. that could be it

all of your choices are bs. personally, i rarely wear a leash when it's small b/c i simply do not like the feel of the thing on my ankle & hate how it gets tangled around my leg.
    yea, if it's really good or crowded (i actively avoid crowds whenever possible), i'll wear one (except on my log). but generally, if it's head high or smaller, i'm not wearing a leash.

do i lose my board now & then? yea, of course. but to make the assumption that anyone who doesn't wear a leash as a witless ****tard is more than a little presumptive & ignorant. by your own account, this happened at an uninhabited island, so it couldn't have been crowded. i'm also a bit skeptical of your assertion that you almost took the board between the eyes. how so? were you paddling out & didn't see the board bouncing in the whitewash? did the guy flick it over the back of the wave? your story is currently lacking the necessary details.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; May 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Images
    long boarding i never wear a leash, and since i change boards so often it is more of if i have a leash in my car i use it if not oh well, just have to be more cautious, i kick out more without my leash and understand your surroundings. don't put yourself or others in danger.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by a2tall View Post
    long boarding i never wear a leash, and since i change boards so often it is more of if i have a leash in my car i use it if not oh well, just have to be more cautious, i kick out more without my leash and understand your surroundings. don't put yourself or others in danger.
    If you want to keep others from danger you would wear your leash........right??? When was the last time you could swim fast enough to catch a loose board in a wave.......It shouldnt matter what kind of board you ride. Always wear a leash. Just makes sense.

As for Mexsurfer who said he doesnt wear one in small surf because he could feel the drag...........sure you do.......Come On Man!!!

Some people can pull it off

I usually wear a leash, unless I forget it, then I just paddle out. Problem is, takes me at least two times swimming after my board to change over to a "I'm not wearing a leash" mode. Just habit, like putting in ear plugs and on sun screen. However, the guy who shapes mandala boards surfs were I do. He rides some 5 and a half foot round nose, planed down, chopped in half long board with two fins (actually his designs are brilliant, check him out: http://www.mandalacustomshapes.com). I've seen him lose his footing once in the 9 months I've been surfing this break. He didn't even glass a leash plug into that little board. Some people can pull it off.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I usually wear a leash, unless I forget it, then I just paddle out. Problem is, takes me at least two times swimming after my board to change over to a "I'm not wearing a leash" mode. Just habit, like putting in ear plugs and on sun screen. However, the guy who shapes mandala boards surfs were I do. He rides some 5 and a half foot round nose, planed down, chopped in half long board with two fins (actually his designs are brilliant, check him out: http://www.mandalacustomshapes.com). I've seen him lose his footing once in the 9 months I've been surfing this break. He didn't even glass a leash plug into that little board. Some people can pull it off.
    I've had a mini simmons (pretty sure thats the "chopped in half longboard" - actually a pretty accurate description ive shaped two of them - your describing) for a year now that has no leash plug. I've probably surfed it at least 30 seshs and i'm sure its never come close to hitting anyone. Surf it in small waves, surf in control, grab a different board if conditions indicate losing the board into others is a possibility. The poll makes no sense...those arent the reasons most people skip the cord.