LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethics

Hybrid View

Ethics

Simple issue: When you are selling a used board, specifically on craigslist or another forum, if the buyer is clearly uneducated about the board you are selling-they want to buy, do you inform them and risk loosing the sale or just sell it and expect the buyer to due diligence?

For example, if you are selling a 6'2" thruster and some one who has never surfed, wants to buy your board, do you tell them "hey man, you need something bigger-this isnt for you", or do you just take the money and run? what if his name is benny joe from brooklyn? does that make a difference for you?

Sell or not to sell?
    Last edited by HaoleNJ; May 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Images
    It's happened a bunch to me, and I always tell them it might not be the best board for you...and not a single one has walked away from buying it.

Images
    Don't tell them just sell it. Most used boards are sold so low that they will be able to get their money back if it's wrong for them. I don't feel like it's the sellers responsibility to inform every buyer whats right or wrong. Most buyers want what they want and might not appreciate your advice. Saying something like "this board might not be right for you until you loose a few pounds" might not go over too well, lol.

caveat emptor

Images
    I normally post (Not a begginers board) or (good for a begginer) in my add. I feel Ive done my part after that.

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    I normally post (Not a begginers board) or (good for a begginer) in my add. I feel Ive done my part after that.
    Same here, but I like keep my karma positive, I'll speak up if it's a mis-match, but usually they still take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Same here, but I like keep my karma positive, I'll speak up if it's a mis-match, but usually they still take it.
    +1
    I firmly believe if your dealing with others is on the shady side, eventually karma will come back to bite you in the a$$. If the board (in my case it was a waveski) is a mismatch, I tell the person. If they don't want to heed my advice then it's on them.
    You reap what you sow...

if you have to ask the question here obviously you feel convicted about it so do your self a favor and tell the prospective buyer what you think. As stated above they most likley wont listen- seen it a thousand times in surf shops:

"you need to start on something different like this" well meaning employee points to funshape

"but I want to ride something like this" non-surfer points to potato chip

"if you were learning to fly would you start in an F-16 or a Cessna?"

"yeah but I ride motocross at home in Kentucky so I do't need one of those big boards"

Quote Originally Posted by HaoleNJ View Post
    Simple issue: When you are selling a used board, specifically on craigslist or another forum, if the buyer is clearly uneducated about the board you are selling-they want to buy, do you inform them and risk loosing the sale or just sell it and expect the buyer to due diligence?

For example, if you are selling a 6'2" thruster and some one who has never surfed, wants to buy your board, do you tell them "hey man, you need something bigger-this isnt for you", or do you just take the money and run? what if his name is benny joe from brooklyn? does that make a difference for you?

Sell or not to sell?
    Agreed with Wailer.- If you got to ask,it sounds like you found your answer.Your not feeling to good about it so you should tell them.I myself just throw my boards at a surf shop on consignment so I try not to deal with it.
    Last edited by GoodVibes; May 21, 2012 at 03:08 AM.

Are you selling a board, or board advice?

If he's asking for advice, give it to him straight. But if he's just looking for a board, and wants what you're offering, sell it to him. You don't know what his intentions are.