LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaping a Board

Hybrid View

Shaping a Board

Alright guys, i really want to shape my own board! Pretty exciting times. I am a dedicated guy, and once I start something, I plan on succeeding. I just really need some guide lines. I have been doing some research and came across http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/ great site, just seems a bit pricey on resin. But then again, that resin may go along way. Anyways I would appreciate any/all advice, comments, ect. Thank guys! Easy day

ive shaped 4 boards, all using supplies and techniques from greenlight, all of which came out ride able. they'll give you everything you need to know and support if you have issues along the way...and theyre all cool as hell. hit them up and go for it!!

Thanks man!!! Can you email me vbbutton@gmail.com to explain some of the things you have learned? Thanks man, surf on!

double the thumbs up on Greenlight. Brian's prices on epoxy are about the best I've found, same on glass cloth by the yard. Definintey use Resin Research epoxy and NOT West System from West Marine. The stuff is durable, but very expensive and sands like concrete (my brother works on boats).

You will not find a more enthusiastic cheerleader than Brian at Greenlight.

How long does lets say a 48oz of resin last? there are so many options. http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/epoxyresins.aspx What do you think?
    Last edited by vbbutton; May 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Using epoxy, which is mixed 2:1 part A to part B, I buy one gallon of A and 1/2 Gallon of B. I can do two shortboards (7-0 - 7-6) with that quantity. I like to use 6oz glass, two full layers top, one bottom with a small tail patch and two hotcoats.

For the epoxy which is part a and part b?

Images
    For RR Ce and KK the blue is part A the clear is part B, it is a 2:1 2 parts resin 1 part hardener. 96 oz kit will be enough for 1 full board, 1.5 gallons as mikey said will be enough for 2 and ding repairs usually, and is cheaper than buying 2 96 oz kits. hope this helps

Awesome!! Thanks Guys!

how far will a 30 yard roll of fiber glass get me?