LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Nobody owes you anything

All of this dribble about how surfers are expected to help beginners, and expected to wear leashes because some swimmer or beginner might get hit.... and talk of suing people..

I am calling you out!!! STOP SURFING, IT'S NOT FOR YOU. This isn't a team sport, take up softball. Surfing is what it is because generation after generation surfers have led the rebellious front against society. Only lately have surfers become "athletes" and respectable members of society. Good for the pro's, but stop trying to subject me and my like-minded brother-en to this pussification of surfing. Some "benny / kook / tourist /whatever" buys a funboard and all of the sudden that person is a surfer? THAT is who would call the cops because they got in the way of another, better, surfers board. THAT is not a surfer, and THAT is not what surfing is about. Leashes didn't even exist until the 1980's, and let me re-assure you, IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH KIDDIES ON THE INSIDE, it was so that Gerry lopez could stop swimming through the urchins after his board in G land.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    all of this dribble about how surfers are expected to help beginners, and expected to wear leashes because some swimmer or beginner might get hit.... And talk of suing people..

I am calling you out!!! Stop surfing, it's not for you. This isn't a team sport, take up softball. Surfing is what it is because generation after generation surfers have led the rebellious front against society. Only lately have surfers become "athletes" and respectable members of society. Good for the pro's, but stop trying to subject me and my like-minded brother-en to this pussification of surfing. Some "benny / kook / tourist /whatever" buys a funboard and all of the sudden that person is a surfer? That is who would call the cops because they got in the way of another, better, surfers board. That is not a surfer, and that is not what surfing is about. Leashes didn't even exist until the 1980's, and let me re-assure you, it had nothing to do with kiddies on the inside, it was so that gerry lopez could stop swimming through the urchins after his board in g land.
    thunderous applause!!! can we also add those who feel entitled to surf however they want, wherever they want without consequence.

I am with Lee. It seems like it is not just surfing that is going through a "pussification" but the whole country. I know I will be accused of old fartism here but it WAS different when I learned. (late 70s, early 80s). You didn't dare go anywhere near the older, seasoned guys. It was like showing up at a Pagans MC run on a Vespa. You had to fall in with your own pack of buddies and as you got older you took over. It was fun, it was safe, it was REGULATED by those in the water. No F%cking lawsuits or cops.
    Now, everyone wants to claim their right to surf no matter their age, skill level, or type of craft. Is change always a good thing?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool View Post
    I am with Lee. It seems like it is not just surfing that is going through a "pussification" but the whole country. I know I will be accused of old fartism here but it WAS different when I learned. (late 70s, early 80s). You didn't dare go anywhere near the older, seasoned guys. It was like showing up at a Pagans MC run on a Vespa. You had to fall in with your own pack of buddies and as you got older you took over. It was fun, it was safe, it was REGULATED by those in the water. No F%cking lawsuits or cops.
    Now, everyone wants to claim their right to surf no matter their age, skill level, or type of craft. Is change always a good thing?
    Damn Earl...nicely said

favorite thread ever

Dear Kyle,
    Sorry for the late reply to all of your wisdom. I was surfing then working. Please don't call me a Neanderthal because I explained how it WAS when I first learned to surf. I never said it was right. It was just the REAL WORLD back then. When I said regulated, I meant you surfed at the next sandbar down from the more experienced guys. It wasn't like Da Hui pounding Rick Kane but close. Even if it was only dirty, smelly, rude, crappy NJ, it was just where I happened to be born. I also was stating the obvious that the problems lee stated are a microcosm of lots of issues our great country is having. You seem like an enlightened liberal telling everyone what is RIGHT. We seem like ignorant conservatives, telling everyone to F%ck off.
    I simply stated that back in the day (old fart alert) it seemed safer in the water when there wasn't all these newcomers and new types of craft at every break all year long. (except mid-winter). I have never had a physical altercation over waves in America. (One in France when I was in my 20s) It is all about fun, but it aint fun when it aint safe. Kyle, sorry to use the word aint, I know a nice liberal fellow like yourself will correct me.

Dear Kyle,
    Sorry for the late reply to all of your wisdom. I was surfing then working. Please don't call me a Neanderthal because I explained how it WAS when I first learned to surf. I never said it was right. It was just the REAL WORLD back then. When I said regulated, I meant you surfed at the next sandbar down from the more experienced guys. It wasn't like Da Hui pounding Rick Kane but close. Even if it was only dirty, smelly, rude, crappy NJ, it was just where I happened to be born. I also was stating the obvious that the problems lee stated are a microcosm of lots of issues our great country is having. You seem like an enlightened liberal telling everyone what is RIGHT. We seem like ignorant conservatives, telling everyone to F%ck off.
    I simply stated that back in the day (old fart alert) it seemed safer in the water when there wasn't all these newcomers and new types of craft at every break all year long. (except mid-winter). I have never had a physical altercation over waves in America. (One in France when I was in my 20s) It is all about fun, but it aint fun when it aint safe. Kyle, sorry to use the word aint, I know a nice liberal fellow like yourself will correct me.

I'm a registered Libertarian, just think before I speak, didn't know that made me a liberal. Yes, it may have been safer in crappy NJ when you were a kid, but you can't stop people from progressing i.e. paddleboarding, sponging, etc. so ok, yeah, back in your day when there were a) less people b) less private beached and c) it was less popular, I'm sure it was better in your hazy recollection, but your REAL WORLD back doesn't apply now and you just sound like an old asshole.

Yes, I will consider myself enlightened person, if by that you mean, I understand that the world progresses, and with that comes more people. Do you go home at night and complain about all the traffic, people, and prices of everything everyday? Because it's the same thing, you call it the "*****fication of America" I call it realizing we are not the best or only people on this Earth, kinda like you "old guys" thought about your break back in the day.

Your time has passed, let some groms catch some waves.
    Last edited by Kyle; May 23, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Earl, dude....it has never been like that weekend in Sumatra....we need that vibe back in Jersey..these young dorks need a wake up call...chill out and feel the vibe young brothers...see ya at the point next monday. Remember to bring the masks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy arthur brownfire View Post
    Earl, dude....it has never been like that weekend in Sumatra....we need that vibe back in Jersey..these young dorks need a wake up call...chill out and feel the vibe young brothers...see ya at the point next monday. Remember to bring the masks.
    seriously, these young bucks are stupid. i was sitting on the inside along the jetty and called a kid off a wave and he got mad. what a doofus

he got mad cuz he has not kissed a girl yet and sleeps with his 5 fin fish...lol, seriously though...I may not be what I was back then...but I always showed respect and I deserve it now...I even show it to the young guns at times just to drive home a point. My children show respect in the break, as they should...and they in turn, get it back from the line up.