LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    If you're cool, and shut the F up, and watch, and listen, and take your licks, you'll be fine. I'll show you around, I'll give you some pointers, I'll give you waves, but don't get cocky and stupid. Stay humble, watch, and learn. That's about it. The Johnny Come Latelys who don't get it will sell their gear and move on to some other activity. They are the speed bumps in the water. The folks who fall in love with and respect the sport will stick around, and I'm OK with that.

2. I love the guys that let surfing/life piss them off to the point of ranting about other people and lawsuits. Don't worry you're only on this planet for a short time, its worth hating every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    If you're cool, and shut the F up, and watch, and listen, and take your licks, you'll be fine. I'll show you around, I'll give you some pointers, I'll give you waves, but don't get cocky and stupid. Stay humble, watch, and learn. That's about it. The Johnny Come Latelys who don't get it will sell their gear and move on to some other activity. They are the speed bumps in the water. The folks who fall in love with and respect the sport will stick around, and I'm OK with that.

Like this...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUtah View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AetjEXXjFMs

I'll listen to Lopez any day over you numb nut haters.

you know, sometimes spreading, or sharing, the aloha involves calling people out on their behavior. as someone else mentioned, it's all in how you approach the transgressor.
    while i am not shy about correcting people who do stupid things in the water, i refuse to get upset or loud unless the transgressor puts me or someone else in a potentially life-threatening situation. that just doesn't happen often in nj.
    but spreading the aloha doesn't necessarily mean that it's ok to drop in on someone or get in their way while paddling out. it's more about taking steps to ensure that you don't mess up someone's ride or endanger them. b/c, honestly, how would you feel if the situation were reversed? would you just be ok w/ it? i highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Like this...
    Pumpmaster, notice he says "The Johnny Come Latelys who don't get it will sell their gear and move on to some other activity. They are the speed bumps in the water." I agree totally. I just don't let speed bumps make me lose my **** and rant on forums.

You act like what Salt said only applies to surfing, those values apply to life as a whole. That's what I'm trying to tell you, quit trying to hide your disappointment with society as a whole, behind a surfing rant.

And as for PeaJay, get over yourself, "Surfing defines every part of my life" So am I to be penalized because I don't live and die with my board by my side? Because I like to travel and do other things? Yes, I play golf and yes I moved away from California, because I didn't want to surf every second of everyday (and the money is better here for me), I like being well-rounded and I'm terrified of becoming a 40+ year old man that still judges his life by how well he surfs.

there has to be some kind of code in the lineup or you get chaos and everyone loses. the code we have evolved over decades and is what it is because it's what works best. there are times when the code doesn't prevent conflict but this really doesn't happen that often. it just seems that way because it's posted about and argued over on a public website.

just be nice and try and see things from other people's perspective:

1. beginners are frothing and desperately want waves even though they can barely surf and don't know the code

2. locals surf a spot their whole lives and all year long and don't like giving up waves to new people who don't know what to do with them.

locals need to be more patient and not get angry unless someone is clearly an unrepentant azzhole. beginners need to recognize that they have to earn their way on to the peak through practice and experience and in the mean time need to find another less good spot to surf. on good days this usually sorts out itself but on small crappy summer days things can get out of hand.

for me, getting angry over a crap wave is not worth it and should be beneath a 'good' surfer. but on the other hand, beginners should recognize when they are wasting waves on good days and getting in the way of better surfers who have been waiting perhaps months for swell.

it's never gonna be perfect but a little empathy goes a long way.

7. I am what you'd consider a summer surf kook, i'm from Annapolis, MD and I live in OC all summer, I DONT consider myself a local, cause i'm not... but I do think I deserve respect from the OC community because I repsect OCMD and the surfers and locals in it. And I surf year round, just obviously not all the time because of the travel. But, i'm a junior in high school, and recently over the past year i've seen so many fake posers rise up from the grave. Being able to rent a board and take lessons, or using a SUP has made all these kids from my school think they are surfers. I understand everyones frustration with this having experienced it. I've only been surfing for about 4 years and i'm still grasping it. Surfing is close to being as "uncool as rollerblading". But all these stupid kooks will never gain the same feeling from surfing as we will, nor will they earn any respect from anyone, if someone is just sitting in the lineup wasting space, and acting all hard cause they can paddle around in one foot shore break, I will be an asshole to them. Call me a kook, call me whatever you want, but we need to do something to these posers because they are destroying this beautiful lifestyle us surfers have been shaping for decades.

kyle, the rant is more about the people who feel they can do whatever they want whenever they want in the water. its the sense of entitlement. as stated numerous times on this thread, the newb who is humble and respectful will get help. I operate that way too and will offer advice to anybody who is cool and respectful. Those people who understand their actions will affect the other surfers deserve the help they get. the ones who dont give a crap are the ones who should be regulated. The lawsuit thing (as brought up in the leashes thread) really does bother me since the last thing we need is cops and lawyers involved in surfing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    there has to be some kind of code in the lineup or you get chaos and everyone loses. the code we have evolved over decades and is what it is because it's what works best. there are times when the code doesn't prevent conflict but this really doesn't happen that often. it just seems that way because it's posted about and argued over on a public website.

just be nice and try and see things from other people's perspective:

1. beginners are frothing and desperately want waves even though they can barely surf and don't know the code

2. locals surf a spot their whole lives and all year long and don't like giving up waves to new people who don't know what to do with them.

locals need to be more patient and not get angry unless someone is clearly an unrepentant azzhole. beginners need to recognize that they have to earn their way on to the peak through practice and experience and in the mean time need to find another less good spot to surf. on good days this usually sorts out itself but on small crappy summer days things can get out of hand.

for me, getting angry over a crap wave is not worth it and should be beneath a 'good' surfer. but on the other hand, beginners should recognize when they are wasting waves on good days and getting in the way of better surfers who have been waiting perhaps months for swell.

it's never gonna be perfect but a little empathy goes a long way.
    Well said my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    kyle, the rant is more about the people who feel they can do whatever they want whenever they want in the water. its the sense of entitlement. as stated numerous times on this thread, the newb who is humble and respectful will get help. I operate that way too and will offer advice to anybody who is cool and respectful. Those people who understand their actions will affect the other surfers deserve the help they get. the ones who dont give a crap are the ones who should be regulated. The lawsuit thing (as brought up in the leashes thread) really does bother me since the last thing we need is cops and lawyers involved in surfing issues.
    The problem is you don't see the entitlement you're showing by thinking you own any part of the ocean, or some unwritten code is gospel. No one like to involve cops with anything, so guys are asses that do, but is something like giving up a wave or wearing a leash that big of an offense to you.

Sorry, it's just not for me.