Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 374
  1. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    post of the year.
    Might well have been. But I couldn't read it. I see a block of unbroken text like that and my brain freezes. Paragraph breaks are your friend. I think I'm going to write a book, "Punctuation for Surfers."

    One more point. The original post mentions lawsuits and people suing each other. Has there been some recent case of a surfer suing another surfer or something that I missed? Just curious. Anybody got a link?

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    4,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    Might well have been. But I couldn't read it. I see a block of unbroken text like that and my brain freezes. Paragraph breaks are your friend. I think I'm going to write a book, "Punctuation for Surfers."

    One more point. The original post mentions lawsuits and people suing each other. Has there been some recent case of a surfer suing another surfer or something that I missed? Just curious. Anybody got a link?
    its from the leashes thread where somebody said that they would sue if hit by a board with no leash.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    Might well have been. But I couldn't read it. I see a block of unbroken text like that and my brain freezes. Paragraph breaks are your friend. I think I'm going to write a book, "Punctuation for Surfers."

    One more point. The original post mentions lawsuits and people suing each other. Has there been some recent case of a surfer suing another surfer or something that I missed? Just curious. Anybody got a link?

    Nope, basically just a bunch of grumpy old guys complaining about something one guy said one time in a forum. Don't worry I've been out surfing a few times the past week and haven't been threatened with a lawsuit yet. But then again I'm considerate and wear a leash.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Out on the island
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Pumpmaster, notice he says "The Johnny Come Latelys who don't get it will sell their gear and move on to some other activity. They are the speed bumps in the water." I agree totally. I just don't let speed bumps make me lose my **** and rant on forums.

    You act like what Salt said only applies to surfing, those values apply to life as a whole. That's what I'm trying to tell you, quit trying to hide your disappointment with society as a whole, behind a surfing rant.

    And as for PeaJay, get over yourself, "Surfing defines every part of my life" So am I to be penalized because I don't live and die with my board by my side? Because I like to travel and do other things? Yes, I play golf and yes I moved away from California, because I didn't want to surf every second of everyday (and the money is better here for me), I like being well-rounded and I'm terrified of becoming a 40+ year old man that still judges his life by how well he surfs.
    Nobody is penalizing you Kyle, you can live life any way you want to. What i was trying to say is if you can't grasp how surfing can influence life choices than I don't believe you to be a surfer. my opinion not fact. I have other influences but besides my parents none have been around as long as surfing has. I work for a company that is reducing energy use. I come from an environmental/conservational background because my love for surfing( and fishing and hunting) spawned a love for the planet and its finite resources. The choices i make on what i put in the garden are influenced by what i don't want running off into the water. i chose to eat organic and live healthier for many reasons, one being so i can surf. the othe reasons include so i can play ball with my children and love my wife like i did when we were kids. i met my wife doing the environmental work that was influenced by surfing. I know more about weather than most people and why do you think that is. Surfing.

    like it or not surfing is self regulated and it is not changing. it isn't just hassling someone for snaking or dropping in. Ever see someone step in when someone is getting overly hassled by a more expericened surfer? it happens. you ever see a local tell a younger surfer to pick up his trash? have you ever seen a more expercienced surfer give a wave to a leeser experciened one? It happens. You come from places like the pacific northwest and California. I've been there and self regulation happens there too. Maybe even more so. and you will see it in Jupiter and other plaves in FLA believe me.

    FYI after my last post yesterday i shut the computer, the whole family worked in the garden( i'm planting CORN!), ate dinner, went to the beach and got some waist high little waves that the whole family could ride, and then got italian ices before bedtime. tonight i'm going fishing. tomorow i'm playing softball. How's that for well rounded? and I am almost 40.

    I shouldn't had been rude. you are not nobody. I'll just call you Kyle. you can call me PJ. How's that?

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    Nobody is penalizing you Kyle, you can live life any way you want to. What i was trying to say is if you can't grasp how surfing can influence life choices than I don't believe you to be a surfer. my opinion not fact. I have other influences but besides my parents none have been around as long as surfing has. I work for a company that is reducing energy use. I come from an environmental/conservational background because my love for surfing( and fishing and hunting) spawned a love for the planet and its finite resources. The choices i make on what i put in the garden are influenced by what i don't want running off into the water. i chose to eat organic and live healthier for many reasons, one being so i can surf. the othe reasons include so i can play ball with my children and love my wife like i did when we were kids. i met my wife doing the environmental work that was influenced by surfing. I know more about weather than most people and why do you think that is. Surfing.

    like it or not surfing is self regulated and it is not changing. it isn't just hassling someone for snaking or dropping in. Ever see someone step in when someone is getting overly hassled by a more expericened surfer? it happens. you ever see a local tell a younger surfer to pick up his trash? have you ever seen a more expercienced surfer give a wave to a leeser experciened one? It happens. You come from places like the pacific northwest and California. I've been there and self regulation happens there too. Maybe even more so. and you will see it in Jupiter and other plaves in FLA believe me.

    FYI after my last post yesterday i shut the computer, the whole family worked in the garden( i'm planting CORN!), ate dinner, went to the beach and got some waist high little waves that the whole family could ride, and then got italian ices before bedtime. tonight i'm going fishing. tomorow i'm playing softball. How's that for well rounded? and I am almost 40.

    I shouldn't had been rude. you are not nobody. I'll just call you Kyle. you can call me PJ. How's that?
    Fair enough.

    I understand self-regulation. Just don't think you're the cops, judge, and jury.

    But please tell me PeaJay, what is a surfer then? I go out, and without a chip on my should surf as much as the next guy, respect the ocean and others around me. What else is missing so I can fit into your "surfer" label?

    I work for a charitable organization but I don't walk around calling myself a philanthropist, what makes you a "surfer" and me not one? Just sounds like you love to have that label attached to you, I could care less.
    Last edited by Kyle; May 24, 2012 at 04:15 PM.

  6. #116
    I might print this entire thread out and use it as toilet paper....

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    58
    Images
    10
    you guys crack me up with your expertise of "what is hardcore" and "who should or shouldn't be in the water". What a joke.

    The words that come to mind are "delusions of grandeur".

    Every one of you guys was a "newbie" or "kook" at one time, and every one of you "got in someone else's way".

    Tough talk on the internet is lame and sad.

  8. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Well said my friend.
    thanks but do you agree that if someone is blowing wave after wave and getting in the way of others who aren't falling, they should go somewhere else?

    i'm a proficient surfer who doesn't fall very much and even i will take it down the beach if i know it's too big or fast for me to make many waves when others are. even good surfers need to know their limits and abilities and stop clogging up the lineup when they're in over their head. beginners even more so.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Out on the island
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Fair enough.

    I understand self-regulation. Just don't think you're the cops, judge, and jury.

    But please tell me PeaJay, what is a surfer then? I go out, and without a chip on my should surf as much as the next guy, respect the ocean and others around me. What else is missing so I can fit into your "surfer" label?
    try not worrying what i think
    but i think you do have a chip on your shoulder.

    if you understand self regulation then you understand that with it you do not need cops, judges, or juries because everthing will sort itself out.

  10. #120
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    291
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post

    FYI after my last post yesterday i shut the computer, the whole family worked in the garden( i'm planting CORN!), ate dinner, went to the beach and got some waist high little waves that the whole family could ride, and then got italian ices before bedtime. tonight i'm going fishing. tomorow i'm playing softball. How's that for well rounded? and I am almost 40.

    I shouldn't had been rude. you are not nobody. I'll just call you Kyle. you can call me PJ. How's that?
    Good man! I really respect this.