LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 375
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Out on the island
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Fair enough.

    I understand self-regulation. Just don't think you're the cops, judge, and jury.

    But please tell me PeaJay, what is a surfer then? I go out, and without a chip on my should surf as much as the next guy, respect the ocean and others around me. What else is missing so I can fit into your "surfer" label?
    try not worrying what i think
    but i think you do have a chip on your shoulder.

    if you understand self regulation then you understand that with it you do not need cops, judges, or juries because everthing will sort itself out.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    293
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post

    FYI after my last post yesterday i shut the computer, the whole family worked in the garden( i'm planting CORN!), ate dinner, went to the beach and got some waist high little waves that the whole family could ride, and then got italian ices before bedtime. tonight i'm going fishing. tomorow i'm playing softball. How's that for well rounded? and I am almost 40.

    I shouldn't had been rude. you are not nobody. I'll just call you Kyle. you can call me PJ. How's that?
    Good man! I really respect this.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    try not worrying what i think
    but i think you do have a chip on your shoulder.

    if you understand self regulation then you understand that with it you do not need cops, judges, or juries because everthing will sort itself out.
    I'm not worried what you think, I'm just looking for a foundation for your argument, to which I see none.

    You did a very good job of being civil with the post before; however, it was obviously backhanded and cheap to say I'm not a surfer.

    Well...Mr. PJ please define it for the rest of us in your opinion what a "surfer" is, so we have something to aspire to.

    Chip on my shoulder, I'm not the one on a surf forum trying to project myself as someone with a higher level of understanding about surfing, I'm not here trying to prove I'm a surfer or telling other's they are not. I don't know who made you the "judge and jury" on who is a surfer, but please, save it. There's a million of your older gentlemen out there looking to blow smoke up my ass about themselves.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    What else is missing so I can fit into your "surfer" label?
    Nothing. Being a "surfer," or being "core," in terms of the depth of the term and not just the superficial surface meaning of whether you surf or not, has less to do with how much you surf, where you surf, what you ride, what you wear, how you talk, etc. etc. ad nauseum... than how you see the world.

    As soon as you attempt to create a definition to attach to the term... a mold to stuff yourself into... you necessarily erase the true meaning of what it is to be a surfer. You can't do... it simply can't be done.

    That's why judging and comparing yourself to others is meaningless... except maybe to yourself.
    Last edited by LBCrew; May 24, 2012 at 06:05 PM.

  5. #125
    i'm gonna take a dump on this thread...

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Out on the island
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm not worried what you think, I'm just looking for a foundation for your argument, to which I see none.

    You did a very good job of being civil with the post before; however, it was obviously backhanded and cheap to say I'm not a surfer.

    Well...Mr. PJ please define it for the rest of us in your opinion what a "surfer" is, so we have something to aspire to.

    Chip on my shoulder, I'm not the one on a surf forum trying to project myself as someone with a higher level of understanding about surfing, I'm not here trying to prove I'm a surfer or telling other's they are not. I don't know who made you the "judge and jury" on who is a surfer, but please, save it. There's a million of your older gentlemen out there looking to blow smoke up my ass about themselves.
    maybe you can't find a foundation for my argument because I'm not building an argument.
    you do not need to be judge and jury to have an opinion. i respect yours

    you posts make me think you are on a surf forum trying to project yourself as someone with a higher level of understanding about surfing. thats ok so am I. we can both be full it and it wouldn't matter.

    i couldn't begin to define to everyone what a surfer is but i know one when i see one.

    yes. a chip on your shoulder. i think you have one. i never said i didn't have a chip on my shoulder. i have many. surfing is how i treat that particular condition

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    you know, sometimes spreading, or sharing, the aloha involves calling people out on their behavior. as someone else mentioned, it's all in how you approach the transgressor.
    while i am not shy about correcting people who do stupid things in the water, i refuse to get upset or loud unless the transgressor puts me or someone else in a potentially life-threatening situation. that just doesn't happen often in nj.
    but spreading the aloha doesn't necessarily mean that it's ok to drop in on someone or get in their way while paddling out. it's more about taking steps to ensure that you don't mess up someone's ride or endanger them. b/c, honestly, how would you feel if the situation were reversed? would you just be ok w/ it? i highly doubt that.
    I just figure that there are enough waves for everyone. I'm fortunate to have work gigs in the So LA coutny area and it just seems like geezers there respect the "common bond" for the sport. Just like everyone on this forum, I had SUP's and body boards annoy the crap out of me but but why not share the stoke--they "get it" too and I cant recall a single time of being dropped in when the guy paddled back and said "sorry man" afterwards so everyone lighten up and if happens 3 times tell the geezer "you mind sharing this wave me dude" -- done... No more localism--its just a waste of energy.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm not the one on a surf forum trying to project myself as someone with a higher level of understanding about surfing, I'm not here trying to prove I'm a surfer or telling other's they are not. I don't know who made you the "judge and jury" on who is a surfer, but please, save it.
    do you not believe there are people 'with a higher level of understanding about surfing' than you?

    because that's the problem with a lot of all this. surfing has existed for a long time. it did not begin when you or anyone else got a board. there are people who have surfed since before you were born. it pre-exists you so you don't get to call the shots. that frustrates a lot of people.

    let me offer you a little surf philosophy; surfers wish for a wave. if they are fortunate a wave comes. they ride the wave as it exists however imperfect or perfect it may be. they have no control over the wave no matter how much they wish they do. it is a reactive experience. this applies to the conditions surrounding the wave as well. it is all beyond your control and you must accept this or you don't surf.

    that's surfing and life. it's rarely how you want it but you do the best you can. this will sound cheesy and hokey to a cocky young grom but trust me, this is how it works and you see and appreciate it more as you get older..

  9. #129
    Wow, Holy crap, I haven't been on the computer in almost 24 hours (working, surfing, coaching T-ball, etc) and I see this thread is still going. It is actually pretty cool to see such strong opinions being voiced on both sides. Except for Kyle calling me an A$$hole about 8 pages back, it seems like everyone is trying to keep it civil. And Kyle, I believe you actually voiced the most important questions that outline this whole mess of a thread.
    What is a surfer?
    How do we define what is OK and not OK in the water when we all interact?
    IS it OK for surfing to be the know-all, be-all of someone's existence?
    I'm almost 50 and have 3 children and I wife. They are my existence. Surfing is a large part of our bond, but not even close to the only part.
    In only voiced my opinions that I base on my experiences in life and in the water be it in the 70's and or now. I'm not some grumpy old man in the water, or waiting in traffic like Kyle labeled me. I'm quite the opposite.
    but when an SUP almost decapitates my 12 year old son because he bailed and let it shoot through the line-up like a rocket or when i have my daughter and all her friends in the car and some numbskull almost puts me into a guardrail, then yes, I get angry. That's a normal reaction. Do I beat up the SUP guy? Of course not. should someone 'help' him understand the consequences of his actions. Sure.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    180
    Images
    38
    Well said, Common courtesy is a miss in today's society. That includes all forms of it (SUP,Short/Long or Boogie).
    It comes down to knowing your limits and being aware of your surroundings. Have I fought in the line up. Yes. Have I helped others learn about wave placement and timing. Yes.

    Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.