LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    "You humans are so petty...and tiny"

-Thor

The other day I was shooting toward the inside...wave was a bit fat and a longerboarder was in front of me attempting to pull his board over the shoulder. I probably wasn't on the right board for the conditions and I was bogging a bit as I attempted to push through--maybe he thought he could get through the wave, or believed I was going to get caught up in the whitewater/fall....regardless he continued to paddle straight out. Half of his board made it through the face of the wave, but he wasn't able to pull it all the way through....as I was passing by him I grabbed his board (as it was in my way) and gave it a push over the back. The push threw me off balance and I fell...about 5 feet from him. I got back on my board and paddled out. I then....????

How should have I responded? Guy was able to catch waves from what I saw, but was in the wrong place at the wrong time...I could have been injured if I didn't give his board a push. Discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    The other day I was shooting toward the inside...wave was a bit fat and a longerboarder was in front of me attempting to pull his board over the shoulder. I probably wasn't on the right board for the conditions and I was bogging a bit as I attempted to push through--maybe he thought he could get through the wave, or believed I was going to get caught up in the whitewater/fall....regardless he continued to paddle straight out. Half of his board made it through the face of the wave, but he wasn't able to pull it all the way through....as I was passing by him I grabbed his board (as it was in my way) and gave it a push over the back. The push threw me off balance and I fell...about 5 feet from him. I got back on my board and paddled out. I then....????

How should have I responded? Guy was able to catch waves from what I saw, but was in the wrong place at the wrong time...I could have been injured if I didn't give his board a push. Discuss...
    Stuff happens and sometimes it's nobody's fault, it's just comes with the territory IMO. I think how you handled it was fine, and if it were me i'd probably have a laugh with the guy afterwards and i'm sure we'd both be more aware of each other moving forward and it most likely wouldn't happen again.

Yes....(pause, squint at the camera)....yes I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    come on are you really Lairds acting coach?

Images
    after reading this thread I'm no longer wearing my hollister shirts and spiked hair. I'm pretty embarrassed to be a "surfer" right now

what's the difference between "a surfer" and "a person who surfs"?

This whole thread can be summed up with rule #1 ...Treat others the way you want to be treated...that goes for surfing, and life. If you respect others, then you will be respected. If you drop in on people without a care, expect to get dropped in on or yelled at or knocked the F*ck out. There are always going to be instances like live4truth's scenario, accidents happen...it's just a part of life. I've been surfing for years and i literally can only think of a handful of incidents, and even those were just blown off.

Definition of a Surfer ----> the guy/girl having the most fun.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    come on are you really Lairds acting coach?
    He'll always be Lance Burkhart to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    There are always going to be instances like live4truth's scenario, accidents happen...it's just a part of life.
    +1 koki....my response to the situation I noted above was silence. I paddled out past the guy toward the jetty we were surfing, and i didn't even look in his direction. To be very clear, he said nothing to me and frankly I didn't care if he did. He realized what he did without me evening saying a word (evidence by the amount of space he gave me--moved to another peak). After my session, i notiiced he parked next to me and we chatted in a friendly manner for a few minutes. Both us with smiles...glad to have opportunity to jump in before work.

Overall, In most situations your surfing does the talking in a line-up...and when it doesn't a conversation is always way more effective than an attitude, threats of violence, or actual violence.

Kyle glad to see your So level headed...and I appreciate your perspective and responses. Hope there are more people like you in the water of the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    All of this dribble about how surfers are expected to help beginners, and expected to wear leashes because some swimmer or beginner might get hit.... and talk of suing people..

I am calling you out!!! STOP SURFING, IT'S NOT FOR YOU. This isn't a team sport, take up softball. Surfing is what it is because generation after generation surfers have led the rebellious front against society. Only lately have surfers become "athletes" and respectable members of society. Good for the pro's, but stop trying to subject me and my like-minded brother-en to this pussification of surfing. Some "benny / kook / tourist /whatever" buys a funboard and all of the sudden that person is a surfer? THAT is who would call the cops because they got in the way of another, better, surfers board. THAT is not a surfer, and THAT is not what surfing is about. Leashes didn't even exist until the 1980's, and let me re-assure you, IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH KIDDIES ON THE INSIDE, it was so that Gerry lopez could stop swimming through the urchins after his board in G land.

Lol get off the internet while your at it. It didn't exist till the 90s. The internet makes for pussification of all who use it with your fat fingers and blood shot eyes. Gerry Lopez used to use carrier pigeons to send messages from HI to the main land. Fooking kooks these days.

He also used to scribble his text on stone tablets with his fingernails. Growl. he was a true waterman that guy....TRUE waterman. surfing as a sport with athleats who are in shape? OMG the insanity of people. I hope my kids sit inside all day on the internets and play xbox with cheezdoodles and soda candycains and poop fingers.
    Last edited by JMD; May 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM.