Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 374
  1. #191
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ryukyu Islands
    Posts
    515
    I don't have fear and rage. I've said already that I don't carry a knife because I'm worried about people being jerks. I carry one for the same reason I carry one when I'm on my sailboat or kayak or any other watercraft. When I'm in the water there's potential for myself or others to get caught up in leashes or underwater snares or all kinds of other **** that might be a serious problem. And I know it's unlikely, especially in the northeast, but if a shark attacks me, as much as I love sharks and would hate to hurt them, I want something better than my hands to fend the thing off. I know, blood in the water yadda yadda, but the sharks species up here are usually solitary so I'm not very concerned, and if it's come to using the knife there's blood in the water anyway.

    But if someone tries to fight me in the surf, damned right I'm gonna take it as a threat to my life and safety. Like I said, if I get knocked out or held under in the water those are easy ways to drown. I'm not unreasonable to consider somebody physically assaulting me with fists in the surf to be a threat to my life. I really don't want it to ever come to that and that would really make me sad to put someone in the hospital or grave, but just don't assault people in the ocean and it won't ever be a problem. The ocean's not the place to get confrontational and enraged. The ocean is a dangerous place and it's flat out not okay to knowingly threaten others physically in that environment.
    Seriously, you carry a knife in the water? Dork. From here on out nothing you say can be taken seriously. A knife... In the ocean... To stab sharks or people that **** with you. I wish I had the power to ban you just based on the pure gayness of that statement alone. I'm sure you have another 2 paragraph reply validating the need for carrying a knife while surfing but don't bother I won't read it. Your utter kookness has been exposed.

  2. #192
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Massapequa, New York
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Seriously, you carry a knife in the water? Dork. From here on out nothing you say can be taken seriously. A knife... In the ocean... To stab sharks or people that **** with you. I wish I had the power to ban you just based on the pure gayness of that statement alone. I'm sure you have another 2 paragraph reply validating the need for carrying a knife while surfing but don't bother I won't read it. Your utter kookness has been exposed.
    Dude. How does carrying a knife in the water make me a dork or a kook? I carry knives with me everywhere else I go, why not in the water when I have an awesome Spyderco folder with the completely rust-proof H1 steel and titanium clip so the whole thing's completely impervious to the ocean?

    I don't know why it's ridiculous to you. Knives and the ocean for me just seem like an obvious pair. They've been a pair for thousands of years for mariners and other ocean-goers. Why it's unheard of to you is something that boggles my mind.

    I can think of situations where it would come in quite handy to have a blade when surfing—situations where I'd be sad to not have it. For the whole three ounces the thing weighs and how easy it is to slip into a wetsuit (or board shorts in warmer water) with a retracting SCUBA retainer so I don't lose it, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it.

    Look man, I collect knives with a passion just like I surf with a passion. If you're gonna be a jerk because I choose to carry a knife in the surf, that's fine. But I don't really see how it makes me a kook. It's a free country and I'll carry what I want into the surf. Doesn't change how I surf or how long I've been surfing. And I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks, man. It's not going to change what I do.

  3. #193
    I didn't read much in this thread except for a few posts, but the board I mostly ride has no leash box. I feel more natural and in tune without a piece of velcro around my ankle. And if i do happen to lose my board, then I just swim, its just fun to be in the ocean in general. But then again I get to surf almost everyday there is waves all by myself or with a few friends.

  4. Carrying a knife what a puss bag, Mommy and Daddy taught you well

    Reading things like this thread further solidifies the fact uneducated people watch too much tv and listen to falsities that protray everything in a bad light.

    Something to take into consideration, the world really isn't a bad place, its morons that cant deal with situations that give **** a bad rap. Since I have started surfing I have seen only a handful of arguments, only one that escalated into a fist fight, and its usually between some aggressive dude (like yourself) on a funshape/longboard and some little kid on a shortboard.

    This ain't hawaii "brah" you're not gonna be put into a life or death situation on the east coast, leave your weapons in the Hummer and smile a little.
    Last edited by surfingwasteland; May 26, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

  5. #195
    That's it...from now on I'm surfing with an assault rifle.

  6. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    Dude. How does carrying a knife in the water make me a dork or a kook? I carry knives with me everywhere else I go, why not in the water when I have an awesome Spyderco folder with the completely rust-proof H1 steel and titanium clip so the whole thing's completely impervious to the ocean?

    I don't know why it's ridiculous to you. Knives and the ocean for me just seem like an obvious pair. They've been a pair for thousands of years for mariners and other ocean-goers. Why it's unheard of to you is something that boggles my mind.

    I can think of situations where it would come in quite handy to have a blade when surfing—situations where I'd be sad to not have it. For the whole three ounces the thing weighs and how easy it is to slip into a wetsuit (or board shorts in warmer water) with a retracting SCUBA retainer so I don't lose it, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it.

    Look man, I collect knives with a passion just like I surf with a passion. If you're gonna be a jerk because I choose to carry a knife in the surf, that's fine. But I don't really see how it makes me a kook. It's a free country and I'll carry what I want into the surf. Doesn't change how I surf or how long I've been surfing. And I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks, man. It's not going to change what I do.
    you carry a knife into the water when you surf???? I think you've seen too many movies. I also suggest a citizen's ban on you from the forum! lol. Now watch.... I get caught up in the ocean with my leash and am in a situation that I need a knife!
    As far as the shark... if a shark comes to get you... you eithe wont have time to react or you'll be dead... so the knife doesnt really help there.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    That's it...from now on I'm surfing with an assault rifle.
    I got a board we can mount a turret on.

  8. #198
    Could not agree more with this thread- never has been a team sport. Personally, I would love to see the Corporate World get out of surfing. I'm old enough to remember surfing without leashes. Made the sport different when you learned - you had to be able to swim the distance you paddled out. Actually, that is still a pretty good rule of thumb.

  9. #199
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Massapequa, New York
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    you carry a knife into the water when you surf???? I think you've seen too many movies. I also suggest a citizen's ban on you from the forum! lol. Now watch.... I get caught up in the ocean with my leash and am in a situation that I need a knife!
    As far as the shark... if a shark comes to get you... you eithe wont have time to react or you'll be dead... so the knife doesnt really help there.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    Carrying a knife what a puss bag, Mommy and Daddy taught you well

    Reading things like this thread further solidifies the fact uneducated people watch too much tv and listen to falsities that protray everything in a bad light.

    Something to take into consideration, the world really isn't a bad place, its morons that cant deal with situations that give **** a bad rap. Since I have started surfing I have seen only a handful of arguments, only one that escalated into a fist fight, and its usually between some aggressive dude (like yourself) on a funshape/longboard and some little kid on a shortboard.

    This ain't hawaii "brah" you're not gonna be put into a life or death situation on the east coast, leave your weapons in the Hummer and smile a little.
    First, what's the obsession about me being a "puss" or the like about? I surf because I enjoy it, not because I feel some need to have a **** contest with other dudes or flaunt for everyone to see how masculine I am.

    A shark attack would only kill you without time to react if it hit enough large blood vessels to make your mean arterial pressure to drop instantly to such a low level that you lose consciousness and have simultaneous organ failure immediately. That doesn't actually happen with most shark attack victims, who are often bitten on the leg where the only real concern is the femoral artery, severance of which requires immediate clamping and subsequent medical attention but is unlikely to lead to immediate unconsciousness. You'll have time to react in most cases.

    Look, surf doesn't need to be insanely high for you to get tangled in something. I don't know what type of beach you surf at but where I surf there's tons of **** that washes up on shore, including lumber and concrete with loads of ropes attached. I hate to tell you but those things are underwater too. Yeah it's unlikely that I'll be ensnared but to say it could never happen is just naive. It's rare that whitewater kayakers get ensnared in **** like that and drown too, but it's common practice for them to carry knives too—fixed blades at that. I think the risk is lower for surfers, but still there. I also make compromises for my mobility so I carry a folder (albeit fairly large) and just tuck it into my wetsuit.

    As far as I'm concerned, the ocean's dangerous by its nature not by its particular geography. Some places might be more or less dangerous in different ways than others but I think to say that the ocean isn't dangerous in the northeast is just plain stupid. People die all the time in the North Atlantic, and they're not all Lobstermen . . .

    I have a question: It's light, doesn't impede my mobility, and is cheap security . . . why are you reaming me out for carrying one? Why not just let well enough alone and do what you want and let me do what I want and take the chances in my life that I'm comfortable with instead of imposing your personal valuations on me?

    Don't go looking for fights and my decision won't ever impact you, so why are you making such a case about it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Topo View Post
    Actually, that is still a pretty good rule of thumb.
    Was gonna say . . . you've gotta be an idiot to paddle out further than you can swim back. It doesn't take but a bit of thought to realize that's a bad idea. Doesn't mean you should put other people in danger because you refuse to wear a leash for whatever reason when surfing a crowded break. If you've got the beach to yourself, by all means do whatever you want. But I'm sorry, in a civilized society you do have a responsibility to not take unnecessary risks with other people's safety.

    The same people who get pissed about wearing leashes are the same people who will ***** about the unsafeness and irresponsibility of people who drop in on them . . . Either people have responsibility to others out in the lineup or they don't . . .
    Last edited by Sloop John B.; May 26, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

  10. #200
    I'm not saying it's a damn hippie bongo circle out in the lineup but you are responsible not to endanger the other people who have the same right to be out there as you just because think you feel "inhibited" by a leash. Just like you don't have the right to scream fire in a movie theatre. If you lose your board and it hits somebody there could be consequences the least of which should be you feeling terrible because your sense of entitlement caused someone else easily avoidable harm.

    For the safety of everyone inexperienced surfers should learn somewhere uncrowded but this doesn't give anyone the right to assault somebody.

    If you see someone in real peril and don't do what you can, within the limits of your own safety of course, to help them you are a sociopath. Tell everybody "you didn't owe them anything" and "weren't going to miss your waves brah" when the body washes up on the beach.