LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    he got mad cuz he has not kissed a girl yet and sleeps with his 5 fin fish...lol, seriously though...I may not be what I was back then...but I always showed respect and I deserve it now...I even show it to the young guns at times just to drive home a point. My children show respect in the break, as they should...and they in turn, get it back from the line up.

how can you guys argue when theres been waves everyday? why aren't you guys surfing? what da hell? i've only been working, surfing, and partying for the past week. haven't even been on the internet in a week.

Get a grip bozos and go for a surf before its gone.

I don't have fear and rage. I've said already that I don't carry a knife because I'm worried about people being jerks. I carry one for the same reason I carry one when I'm on my sailboat or kayak or any other watercraft. When I'm in the water there's potential for myself or others to get caught up in leashes or underwater snares or all kinds of other **** that might be a serious problem. And I know it's unlikely, especially in the northeast, but if a shark attacks me, as much as I love sharks and would hate to hurt them, I want something better than my hands to fend the thing off. I know, blood in the water yadda yadda, but the sharks species up here are usually solitary so I'm not very concerned, and if it's come to using the knife there's blood in the water anyway.

But if someone tries to fight me in the surf, damned right I'm gonna take it as a threat to my life and safety. Like I said, if I get knocked out or held under in the water those are easy ways to drown. I'm not unreasonable to consider somebody physically assaulting me with fists in the surf to be a threat to my life. I really don't want it to ever come to that and that would really make me sad to put someone in the hospital or grave, but just don't assault people in the ocean and it won't ever be a problem. The ocean's not the place to get confrontational and enraged. The ocean is a dangerous place and it's flat out not okay to knowingly threaten others physically in that environment.
    Seriously, you carry a knife in the water? Dork. From here on out nothing you say can be taken seriously. A knife... In the ocean... To stab sharks or people that **** with you. I wish I had the power to ban you just based on the pure gayness of that statement alone. I'm sure you have another 2 paragraph reply validating the need for carrying a knife while surfing but don't bother I won't read it. Your utter kookness has been exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Seriously, you carry a knife in the water? Dork. From here on out nothing you say can be taken seriously. A knife... In the ocean... To stab sharks or people that **** with you. I wish I had the power to ban you just based on the pure gayness of that statement alone. I'm sure you have another 2 paragraph reply validating the need for carrying a knife while surfing but don't bother I won't read it. Your utter kookness has been exposed.
    Dude. How does carrying a knife in the water make me a dork or a kook? I carry knives with me everywhere else I go, why not in the water when I have an awesome Spyderco folder with the completely rust-proof H1 steel and titanium clip so the whole thing's completely impervious to the ocean?

I don't know why it's ridiculous to you. Knives and the ocean for me just seem like an obvious pair. They've been a pair for thousands of years for mariners and other ocean-goers. Why it's unheard of to you is something that boggles my mind.

I can think of situations where it would come in quite handy to have a blade when surfing—situations where I'd be sad to not have it. For the whole three ounces the thing weighs and how easy it is to slip into a wetsuit (or board shorts in warmer water) with a retracting SCUBA retainer so I don't lose it, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it.

Look man, I collect knives with a passion just like I surf with a passion. If you're gonna be a jerk because I choose to carry a knife in the surf, that's fine. But I don't really see how it makes me a kook. It's a free country and I'll carry what I want into the surf. Doesn't change how I surf or how long I've been surfing. And I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks, man. It's not going to change what I do.

I didn't read much in this thread except for a few posts, but the board I mostly ride has no leash box. I feel more natural and in tune without a piece of velcro around my ankle. And if i do happen to lose my board, then I just swim, its just fun to be in the ocean in general. But then again I get to surf almost everyday there is waves all by myself or with a few friends.

6. Carrying a knife what a puss bag, Mommy and Daddy taught you well

Reading things like this thread further solidifies the fact uneducated people watch too much tv and listen to falsities that protray everything in a bad light.

Something to take into consideration, the world really isn't a bad place, its morons that cant deal with situations that give **** a bad rap. Since I have started surfing I have seen only a handful of arguments, only one that escalated into a fist fight, and its usually between some aggressive dude (like yourself) on a funshape/longboard and some little kid on a shortboard.

This ain't hawaii "brah" you're not gonna be put into a life or death situation on the east coast, leave your weapons in the Hummer and smile a little.
    Last edited by surfingwasteland; May 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM.

That's it...from now on I'm surfing with an assault rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    Dude. How does carrying a knife in the water make me a dork or a kook? I carry knives with me everywhere else I go, why not in the water when I have an awesome Spyderco folder with the completely rust-proof H1 steel and titanium clip so the whole thing's completely impervious to the ocean?

I don't know why it's ridiculous to you. Knives and the ocean for me just seem like an obvious pair. They've been a pair for thousands of years for mariners and other ocean-goers. Why it's unheard of to you is something that boggles my mind.

I can think of situations where it would come in quite handy to have a blade when surfing—situations where I'd be sad to not have it. For the whole three ounces the thing weighs and how easy it is to slip into a wetsuit (or board shorts in warmer water) with a retracting SCUBA retainer so I don't lose it, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it.

Look man, I collect knives with a passion just like I surf with a passion. If you're gonna be a jerk because I choose to carry a knife in the surf, that's fine. But I don't really see how it makes me a kook. It's a free country and I'll carry what I want into the surf. Doesn't change how I surf or how long I've been surfing. And I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks, man. It's not going to change what I do.
    you carry a knife into the water when you surf???? I think you've seen too many movies. I also suggest a citizen's ban on you from the forum! lol. Now watch.... I get caught up in the ocean with my leash and am in a situation that I need a knife!
    As far as the shark... if a shark comes to get you... you eithe wont have time to react or you'll be dead... so the knife doesnt really help there.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    That's it...from now on I'm surfing with an assault rifle.
    I got a board we can mount a turret on.

Could not agree more with this thread- never has been a team sport. Personally, I would love to see the Corporate World get out of surfing. I'm old enough to remember surfing without leashes. Made the sport different when you learned - you had to be able to swim the distance you paddled out. Actually, that is still a pretty good rule of thumb.