LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    you carry a knife into the water when you surf???? I think you've seen too many movies. I also suggest a citizen's ban on you from the forum! lol. Now watch.... I get caught up in the ocean with my leash and am in a situation that I need a knife!
    As far as the shark... if a shark comes to get you... you eithe wont have time to react or you'll be dead... so the knife doesnt really help there.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    Carrying a knife what a puss bag, Mommy and Daddy taught you well

Reading things like this thread further solidifies the fact uneducated people watch too much tv and listen to falsities that protray everything in a bad light.

Something to take into consideration, the world really isn't a bad place, its morons that cant deal with situations that give **** a bad rap. Since I have started surfing I have seen only a handful of arguments, only one that escalated into a fist fight, and its usually between some aggressive dude (like yourself) on a funshape/longboard and some little kid on a shortboard.

This ain't hawaii "brah" you're not gonna be put into a life or death situation on the east coast, leave your weapons in the Hummer and smile a little.
    First, what's the obsession about me being a "puss" or the like about? I surf because I enjoy it, not because I feel some need to have a **** contest with other dudes or flaunt for everyone to see how masculine I am.

A shark attack would only kill you without time to react if it hit enough large blood vessels to make your mean arterial pressure to drop instantly to such a low level that you lose consciousness and have simultaneous organ failure immediately. That doesn't actually happen with most shark attack victims, who are often bitten on the leg where the only real concern is the femoral artery, severance of which requires immediate clamping and subsequent medical attention but is unlikely to lead to immediate unconsciousness. You'll have time to react in most cases.

Look, surf doesn't need to be insanely high for you to get tangled in something. I don't know what type of beach you surf at but where I surf there's tons of **** that washes up on shore, including lumber and concrete with loads of ropes attached. I hate to tell you but those things are underwater too. Yeah it's unlikely that I'll be ensnared but to say it could never happen is just naive. It's rare that whitewater kayakers get ensnared in **** like that and drown too, but it's common practice for them to carry knives too—fixed blades at that. I think the risk is lower for surfers, but still there. I also make compromises for my mobility so I carry a folder (albeit fairly large) and just tuck it into my wetsuit.

As far as I'm concerned, the ocean's dangerous by its nature not by its particular geography. Some places might be more or less dangerous in different ways than others but I think to say that the ocean isn't dangerous in the northeast is just plain stupid. People die all the time in the North Atlantic, and they're not all Lobstermen . . .

I have a question: It's light, doesn't impede my mobility, and is cheap security . . . why are you reaming me out for carrying one? Why not just let well enough alone and do what you want and let me do what I want and take the chances in my life that I'm comfortable with instead of imposing your personal valuations on me?

Don't go looking for fights and my decision won't ever impact you, so why are you making such a case about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Topo View Post
    Actually, that is still a pretty good rule of thumb.
    Was gonna say . . . you've gotta be an idiot to paddle out further than you can swim back. It doesn't take but a bit of thought to realize that's a bad idea. Doesn't mean you should put other people in danger because you refuse to wear a leash for whatever reason when surfing a crowded break. If you've got the beach to yourself, by all means do whatever you want. But I'm sorry, in a civilized society you do have a responsibility to not take unnecessary risks with other people's safety.

The same people who get pissed about wearing leashes are the same people who will ***** about the unsafeness and irresponsibility of people who drop in on them . . . Either people have responsibility to others out in the lineup or they don't . . .
    Last edited by Sloop John B.; May 26, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

I'm not saying it's a damn hippie bongo circle out in the lineup but you are responsible not to endanger the other people who have the same right to be out there as you just because think you feel "inhibited" by a leash. Just like you don't have the right to scream fire in a movie theatre. If you lose your board and it hits somebody there could be consequences the least of which should be you feeling terrible because your sense of entitlement caused someone else easily avoidable harm.

For the safety of everyone inexperienced surfers should learn somewhere uncrowded but this doesn't give anyone the right to assault somebody.

If you see someone in real peril and don't do what you can, within the limits of your own safety of course, to help them you are a sociopath. Tell everybody "you didn't owe them anything" and "weren't going to miss your waves brah" when the body washes up on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    I'm not saying it's a damn hippie bongo circle out in the lineup but you are responsible not to endanger the other people who have the same right to be out there as you just because think you feel "inhibited" by a leash. Just like you don't have the right to scream fire in a movie theatre. If you lose your board and it hits somebody there could be consequences the least of which should be you feeling terrible because your sense of entitlement caused someone else easily avoidable harm.

For the safety of everyone inexperienced surfers should learn somewhere uncrowded but this doesn't give anyone the right to assault somebody.

If you see someone in real peril and don't do what you can, within the limits of your own safety of course, to help them you are a sociopath. Tell everybody "you didn't owe them anything" and "weren't going to miss your waves brah" when the body washes up on the beach.
    I completely agree.

I'd add that I really don't care what happens in the water, you don't get the right to assault someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    I completely agree.
    Great- now we just need to work on your misconceptions regarding the Trayvon Martin farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    Great- now we just need to work on your misconceptions regarding the Trayvon Martin farce.
    Hah. I feel the same way about you, but I don't particularly think our differing opinions on that has much relevance to the water.

I don't disagree with many of the things said, but please spare us the tough talk with no consequence. Louder the bark the less people need to worry

I surf strapped with my 9mm so I can shoot the less prepared knife wielding ripper. Just kidding, but one time, I had to pistol whip Earl when he got to cocky with his political tyrants during a hurricane swell in Rhode Island.

Images
    i carry weapons

Bump,Bump,and Bump.Lets see if we can get another 10,000 views out of this thread.

This thread is a train wreck! Let me write Leethwhatever's final chapter; Lethwhaterer suites up, looks in the mirror and says "I'm the best surfer in the world and no one will ever be better", he then paddles out into the nothshore's 30' waves, makes the line up, charges a wave, wipes out, eats coal and all the kooks laugh at his chewed up body as it washes up to shore...there, this story has an ending.