LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Images
    hello, Some of your info is incorrect. The first leashes came about in 1970, way before anyone even surfed G Land. The first commercial one had a suction cup on it that was meant to be attached to the nose of the board. This was marketed by Dale Dobson, a surfer from Cal who came up in the long board era. The leash then changed to tail mounted. We made ours from bungee cord and just tied a loop in the bungee to go around the ankle. In big surf you had to reach down and hold the loop in your hand to lessen the pull on your ankle. We glassed a loop of fiberglass on the tail of the board to tie it to. Say what you will about the leash but when surfing near rocks,reefs,and cold water I will take it. When surfing 1/4 mile out to sea in DOH I will also use one. It is also a safety device when surfing around swimmers and people who are wading so your board does not hit them when you lose it, and you will lose it. Anyone who doesn't use one in that situation is just irresponsible and should stop surfing. Here in Kitty Hawk the only way we convinced the town council to allow surfing at all beaches all of the time was to have a leash law. I learned to surf at the Steel Pier in Virginia Beach in 1968 where we all had to crowd into a 1/4 mile section of beach. No fun and dangerous.
    Everyone was a beginner. It never hurts to give a word of encouragement to those who want to learn anything if you can. I will submit that you should soften your outlook. Why be angry over something that is supposed to be fun?
    Sincerely, Greg Hamby

A+ kittyhawksurf, thats terrible that you could'nt surf a part of beach, I'd prolly do it anyways unless it was privately owned. I wish I lived about 60 years ago or so I'd post up camp on my favorite break, squatters rights!

the last time I saw Lee charge a monster, he ripped it and then rode the re-form to the beach in a soul arch...nothing but class JohnnyUtah...Lee is currently killing it in Mission Beach. Peace Lee man, save travels...

primo...love the post...remember, that hairy guy from Philly, has a hot S. Philly babe watching you show him up.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy arthur brownfire View Post
    the last time I saw Lee charge a monster, he ripped it and then rode the re-form to the beach in a soul arch...nothing but class JohnnyUtah...Lee is currently killing it in Mission Beach. Peace Lee man, save travels...
    Nobody's killing it in San Diego Co. right now. Surfs been in the crapper last two days. Pretty today though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    Dude. How does carrying a knife in the water make me a dork or a kook? I carry knives with me everywhere else I go, why not in the water when I have an awesome Spyderco folder with the completely rust-proof H1 steel and titanium clip so the whole thing's completely impervious to the ocean?

I don't know why it's ridiculous to you. Knives and the ocean for me just seem like an obvious pair. They've been a pair for thousands of years for mariners and other ocean-goers. Why it's unheard of to you is something that boggles my mind.

I can think of situations where it would come in quite handy to have a blade when surfing—situations where I'd be sad to not have it. For the whole three ounces the thing weighs and how easy it is to slip into a wetsuit (or board shorts in warmer water) with a retracting SCUBA retainer so I don't lose it, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it.

Look man, I collect knives with a passion just like I surf with a passion. If you're gonna be a jerk because I choose to carry a knife in the surf, that's fine. But I don't really see how it makes me a kook. It's a free country and I'll carry what I want into the surf. Doesn't change how I surf or how long I've been surfing. And I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks, man. It's not going to change what I do.
    I surf with a beer in my hand every so often. I never litter though, that's why board shorts have pockets and aluminum cans collapse. The whole thing weighs 12oz. and comes with a pop top. Look man, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it everywhere I go?
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 27, 2012 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I surf with a beer in my hand every so often. I never litter though, that's why board shorts have pockets and aluminum cans collapse. The whole thing weighs 12oz. and comes with a pop top. Look man, I don't really understand why I wouldn't carry it everywhere I go?
    12 ounces is way heavier, and beer's not useful for unexpected situations.

Making fun of me doesn't mean that you make any sense.

Solid Beryl swell today

Lets go surf!

Images
    If you violated the surf law you would be ticketed and your board was impounded. Va. Beach still has surf laws. Here on The Outer Banks the only surf law is that you use a leash.

Images
    I like to carry a spear gun