LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

I ride a longboard

Are there any other longboarders on this site?

I'm pretty sure the fact that where I surf dictates what I ride and I definitely live in a longboard dominated area but I've longboarded predominantly shortboard breaks and enjoyed it just the same.

I don't want to get into a big discussion of why longboarders are kooks and how bad they suck. I guarantee everyone of us (everyone on the site) sucks compared to others out there somewhere.

So who rides a longboard?

Images
    i love longboarding i just never do it. i think itd be sick to get an early take off on a DOH winter day and just cruise through a barrel!

I ride a longboard about 90% of the time. I like the glide, I like getting into the wave early, and I like the longer rides. Recently, I was surfing at Witch's Rock in C.R. with some friends (who are all shortboarders), but I still had a great time in 6-8 foot surf on my 9'0" performance longboard. I have great respect for my shortboarding friends and try to lay off the peak in cases like the one mentioned above, but when it is all said and done, I usually catch more waves and have more fun on a longboard. To quote Allan Weisbecker in his book "In Search of Captain Zero": "I've taken to riding a longboard nearly exclusively these days,... Truth is, 90% of all surfing is done in the less than ideal conditions of size, speed and power that best suit most shortboard surfing."

In smaller surf, I ride an 8-foot 7S Superfish XL. I rode a longboard for awhile and loved its wave-catching ability but, truth be told, i never could get the thing to turn. I mean, like, at all... The Superfish markets itself as being able to "paddle like a longboard and turn like a shortboard" and in my experience it pretty much performs as advertised. If you can get over the fact that the 7S Superfish rolled off a factory production line in Thailand, I've found it to be a really fun board to ride.

And if anyone has any advice on how to get a 9 foot Robert August design longboard to turn, I'm all ears. It's an absolutely beautiful board, i just feel like I'm surfing on an aircraft carrier...

Stay stoked.

Images
    i longboard. i have a 9'10'' tim nolte performance noserider and a 9' walden epoxy magic model. those are the only two boards i have currently so i use them in everything haha. i also like the glide, early entry, and long rides

fins fins fins

just change to a narrower fin and a little extra wumph on the bottom turn and it will turn just fine. fin choice makes a HUGE difference in longboard performance. it can make a dog of a board into something really fun when you get the right match!
    try the "wingnut" model fin or something similar, fairly narrowbase, very narrow in middle, then a bulb shape at end. plenty of hold for even my 10 footer, but way loosened up over the original fin.
    Last edited by pmoos; May 27, 2012 at 01:50 AM.

i ride a 8'6 wavestorm about 50% of the time. thats kind of like longboarding right? i took it out while i was between fish and fell in love. next step is picking up a real 9'+ longboard YEW! where i live, 50% of the time its just not worth it to ride something small. peace

grew up a short boarder, got older and fatter, took to the longboard...love it, I go back to a thick, longboard inspired custom 7 plus shorter board at times...and when I feel fit, I dig out my kids 6'10", but I love the glide of my 9 footer. I take it on the big days. Yes, sometimes, I wipe bad, but oh well, it is part of the experience. As long as I dont get in the way of my brothers. And I too was inspired by my good friend Captain Zero. He can tear up the long board..just as long as he stays quiet and does not preach...lol...sorry Alan. Anyway, longboard keeps the old school vibe relevant. A good day on the big boy harkens back to my youth at the piers of 1970s SoCal. That my friend, is a true surfing moment now a days...flashback to the carefree funloving soul of the thing.

Images
    Good to know theres a couple of us out there on the interwebs. I love the glide getting on the nose then back to the tail for a nice arcing turn or catching the wave far out then felling the speed build and build into a floater or something... I think I'm still stoked from today, thanks beryl.

This was the best longboard I've ever ridden. It was shaped for the Mexican pipeline. The swallow tail made it turn like a shorter board, then when you ran to the nose, it just settled in. Super responsive front or backside. I could ride any wave on it. Simply magic.

I'm hoping to repair, or replicate it.

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/asset...5&d=1337532967