LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    This was the best longboard I've ever ridden. It was shaped for the Mexican pipeline. The swallow tail made it turn like a shorter board, then when you ran to the nose, it just settled in. Super responsive front or backside. I could ride any wave on it. Simply magic.

I'm hoping to repair, or replicate it.

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/asset...5&d=1337532967
    Couldn't see the pic.

I've got a 9'1'' firewire with a swallow tail with a 5-fin set up. I've been riding it as a quad for a while but thinking about a 2+1 set up. I'm interested in how that will affect it because it can definitely turn on a dime.

I've been riding my 9'0'' Hunt Custom lately, just a plain single fin and loving it again. I get excited about all different kind of boards but keep coming back to this one.

Chicks like Big Fat Sticks!!!!!

I surf longboards almost exclusively. I have a custom 9'4" SOD that I surf most days, but when it is bigger than chest to shoulder, I have one of Tony Sylvagni's old 9'0" Perfections that handles the drops and holds on the the face a lot better.

Images

i have a big stick....

i have a 9'"4 dewey weber performance that had a big 9inch flag-style fin and it was like being on a rail... hahaa...it only went straight. i changed it out to a 9 inch standard and it loosened a bit but was still slow to turn. my friend suggested a banana shaped fin made out here by harbour surfboards called their HP-1. http://www.shopharboursurf.com/shop/hp-fin-harbour-fin/
    the thin middle flexes on a turn but the fin is long enough (9.5) to add stability on the straight. my board turns like something 2 feet shorter. i LOVE it. if you wanna loosen yer stick, try the banana....

I love long boarding. Short boarding is great too. Just depends on the day. Tomorrow it's gonna be 2-3' with 5 knot winds in the morning. Personally, I can't catch that on a 6'1". I only pull that out on days when it looks like the side of an empty kidney bean swimming pool. I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 205lb. I need a board with some draft if there's no speed and the waves aren't meaty. Gonna grab the old 8'6" S. Coastie Noserider and treat her like the sponge she is. Duck dive that plank through D'OH, twist on a dime on the bottom and slide around on the lip, no bull. She still floats in ankle biters down in Aransas Pass. Anybody who rides her loves her. Need a new one, she doesn't quite glide like she used to. It was nasty on thurs. evenin'; grabbed a 7'6" swallow tail I bought off the old man for a C$ from his personal stack. Bad weather/bigger wave short board. Took her out in overhead, closed out, crossed up sw/nw swell with 15-20k winds blowing from anywhere on the left of he compass. You ever have one one of those days you paddle out and you think you've forgotten how to surf? Yeah, that was thurs, caught four rough rides and took the last one in. Haven't surfed in 2 days. Conditons have just been garbage. Nobody else has been either. Maybe grab the 9'2" in the morning. Everybody needs a longboard or 3 in the surf shed, what else do you fish off of?

Oh yeah, I gotta get an MRI at 10:30am tomorrow (on a Sunday, seriously!) for a follow up on my bum knee. Get a sesh in early so I can lay in that tube for 30 without gettin' all twitchy. Prolly not gonna be layin' into any tubes on the reef, but hey you never know, the Red Sox won a world series, conditions could somehow miraculously improve. Anyway, I just don't want to go under the knife again, recovering from all this has been a long and harrowing road. Send some good vibes my way and wish me luck.

PEACE
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 27, 2012 at 05:41 AM.

Images
    If you enjoy surfing.... Period.... You should have a Longboard in your quiver. I ride a "Local Shaped" 9' HP Quad SurfCulture..........Can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    the thin middle flexes on a turn but the fin is long enough (9.5) to add stability on the straight. my board turns like something 2 feet shorter. i LOVE it. if you wanna loosen yer stick, try the banana....
    I had a similar epiphany. For the last four years that I've had it, I've been riding my longboard with a lone single fin, and last march I was cleaning out the car and found the side bites that came with it, I said what the heck and slapped them on and it made a world of difference. I can turn much smoother and casual and I don't bog down on the mushy stuff as much as I used to.

I need to do more experimenting with fins

Images
    Currently all of my boards are shortboards. When I used to live within walking distance to the beach I loved longboarding on the small days, but now that I live inland and can't fit a longboard in my car I just stick with the shortboards. My wife and I are hoping to move back to a beach town this year and I would love to pick up an old school noserider. They make the small, mushy days much more fun.

i have a 9' but mostly ride a 9'4" and am going up to 9'6" I also have an 8' Walden. i don't go out when it's much over waist anyway.

yo zaGaffer,

been under many a knife, currently battling knee **** again..both knees and feet are shot. Trouble getting up on board...but the Sea is our medicine...I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers or whatever works for you. Feel good soon brother.