LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    some years ago...a dude across the street from my parents house saw me skating on a visit, and asked if I still surfed. He proceeded to open up a dusty garage and bust out a late 60's Hansen cardiff. He bought it new years ago to impress a girl. Could not fit it in his convertible MG and hung it up in the rafters. Only saw the water two times...mint...cherry, sweet. 40 bucs for a board that I have been offered several thousand dollars in the water. It is big and heavy and I only bust it out on special days. It is scary to strap that on top of a car and haul it down the mountain to the drink. But man oh man, they dont make um like that. It catches everything. I even bombed big storm swells. Taught my lil brothers to surf on it. It hangs above my bar and is still an eye catcher. Maybe she should see some water time soon. We call her "Big Red" and a million dollars would not fetch her from my clutch.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lalit View Post
    i have a 9' but mostly ride a 9'4" and am going up to 9'6" I also have an 8' Walden. i don't go out when it's much over waist anyway.
    I don't know what your situation permits but you should definitely head out in some bigger waves. Theres a learning curve with the more powerful waves but the acceleration and opportunities to get better with bIgger waves is huge. Try to get out there on the next bigger day if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Are there any other longboarders on this site?

I'm pretty sure the fact that where I surf dictates what I ride and I definitely live in a longboard dominated area but I've longboarded predominantly shortboard breaks and enjoyed it just the same.

I don't want to get into a big discussion of why longboarders are kooks and how bad they suck. I guarantee everyone of us (everyone on the site) sucks compared to others out there somewhere.

So who rides a longboard?
    This has my vote for the most etarted thread I've seen. Who cares about a lonely longboarder?

Images
    i have spent some time on a longboard.... Got a sweet 9'6 Jed Noll custom pintail and a 9'4 dewey weber stylist... big hatchet fin. the only way to ride them in on the nose...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    This has my vote for the most etarted thread I've seen. Who cares about a lonely longboarder?
    Cool, thanks for coming out tonight. The exit should be in the top left corner whenever you're ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    Sniffer, plenty of people...question is, can you handle a longboard, or are you a frustrated lil boy who bunny hops around all day looking frustrated during small summer swells? Can you drop in on double overhead on a 10 foot, 40 year old log?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    i have spent some time on a longboard.... Got a [....] 9'4 dewey weber stylist... big hatchet fin. the only way to ride them in on the nose...
    my hatchet looks like this, http://usvsa.com/auction/APUserImages/U2F4JQFRGLKJ.JPG, but with more flag...definitely stable

Quote Originally Posted by crazy arthur brownfire View Post
    Can you drop in on double overhead on a 10 foot, 40 year old log?
    Im sure you drop in on those all the time. Stop giving good longboarders a bad rap, you really sound like a schmuck. This forum has gone to the dogs, see you all in the fall....

I rode shortboards exclusively for a long time, because I didn't have money for a quiver, and my theory is, if you only have one board, you want it to work good when the waves are good. If it's crap, it's crap, and you just deal with it.

But now that I have a full quiver, it includes a 9'3 single fin. I'll admit I only ride it when it's small... waist high or under. And even on many of those days I'll ride a fish.

But for me, longboarding is all about noseriding. If it wasn't for noseriding, I wouldn't longboard at all. I mix it up with some soul arch or drop knee turns, and a good old fashioned layback in the pocket along a fast backside wall is really fun. Old school logging is great. But it shouldn't be a crutch, just because you're old and fat. It should be done for what it is... "performance" of a different kind.
    Last edited by LBCrew; May 28, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

i don't like you guys too much.