LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Ok check it out,under 3 feet is beginner.3 feet to 5 feet is intermediate. Head high and over is above intermediate ..Providing you can surf the wave well.
    its hard to judge skill with wave height because of the different conditions that play into it. 3 foot teahupoo is going to be a lot harder to surf than 6 foot trestles

Images
    Here is a breakdown I got off the net. I think it's pretty accurate. Going by this I would be at the beginning of level 4. Although I don't think the size part should count because as we all know it hardly ever gets big here and when it does it's hardly ever good. But if we go by the size thing all I would need is a year in central America on some of those points i surfed last month and I would be solidly in level 4, lol.

Level 1 - complete beginner, learning to stand, trim and carve maneuvers in the white water.
    Level 2 - paddling out the back, starting to catch unbroken waves and surf across the face.
    Level 3 - comfortably trimming across head high unbroken waves and learning to perform basic cut backs, fades and floaters.
    Level 4 - comfortably surfing in double over head waves and learning to link maneuvers together with speed power and flow.
    Last edited by Zippy; May 29, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    More like Zippy is honest sh*thead, lol. In 35 years of surfing I have learned one thing, most people are completely deluded about their surfing abilities.
    Well said........

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Ok check it out,under 3 feet is beginner.3 feet to 5 feet is intermediate. Head high and over is above intermediate ..Providing you can surf the wave well.
    So a circuit surfer on a 3' wave is a beginner...........You should most likely rethink this.........

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    So a circuit surfer on a 3' wave is a beginner...........You should most likely rethink this.........
    I like the chart Zippy found,Im kind of comparing waves to mountains.Green,Blue,and Black.There's not to many beginners out there that can surf a head high wave well just like alot of beginners can ski or snowboard a Black Diamond.

6. 11 year

I have been surfing for 11 years and iv been on a HP shortboard for about 9 years. I just reached intermediate about two years ago. Intermediate in my jurisdiction is being able to power surf with solid hacks and cut backs and also to have a beginning airial game(air reverse and frontside air)

Quote Originally Posted by surfthewall11 View Post
    Intermediate in my jurisdiction is being able to power surf with solid hacks and cut backs and also to have a beginning airial game(air reverse and frontside air)
    I've never seen Tom Curren do either an air reverse or a frontside air.
    Last edited by Bronze Whaler; Jun 9, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Images
    Just don't be an asshole or a kook with other people and don't be a liar with yourself. I've been surfing for 19 years now and would label myself "knowledgeable, but always learning" if I had to. I don't give a crap about what tricks people can or can't do. I'm more impressed when someone knows not to drop-in, as it is becoming more and more rare.

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by stoneybaloney View Post
    Just don't be an asshole or a kook with other people and don't be a liar with yourself. I've been surfing for 19 years now and would label myself "knowledgeable, but always learning" if I had to. I don't give a crap about what tricks people can or can't do. I'm more impressed when someone knows not to drop-in, as it is becoming more and more rare.
    Wholeheartedly agreed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    10,000 hours of shotty practice is no good. It's gotta be 10,000 hrs of good practice. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
    The downfall to this quote is that no one is perfect. Practice doesn't make perfect - correct. There is no such thing as perfect practice, therefore practice makes nearly perfect.