LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I ride a shortboard

I like going fast. I like to straight up the wave, turn close 180 degrees (or more) on a dime and come back down. I like to fit three in turns in on a waist high wave. I like to throw backside buckets one after another.

Do I have to pump it somes times just to milk enough speed up to do one good turn- yeah I do and it's more fun than just standing there when I take the top off that mushy slop.

I like knowing that if I ran into Luke, Joel or Mick (pros about my size) they might say "that board looks sick mate- you wanna switch with me for a few waves?"

What's with the passive-aggressive thread loaded with thinly veiled scorn for longboarders? The longboard thread definitely did not take that tone, so why are you getting so defensive about it?

I love short boarding. Don't bother in anything under about 4' though. Need some real waves to make it fun. I'd say I only short board about 4 out of 10 days I surf, most of those in the winter. These days, I either sport a 6'6" x 20" x 2.5" that was a gift from my father in law for my wedding that he shaped (I supplied the blank though, Clark Foam triple carbon/balsa/carbon stringer that I found for a steal) or a 6'1" by 21.75" x 3" Half Moon Bay Warrior from the late 70's that I inherited 15 years ago. I love that board, still rides solid. All the other short boards I've owned come and go. Seems like I bust 'em a lot. need to make a new one. An a fish, need to shape a fat fish. Wife says I can't get any new toys until we get a bigger place. I've always like Al Merrick's boards. I've snapped a Channel Island or two. And ripped out some fins. They sure are fast, but they don't layer on the glass quite enough for big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    What's with the passive-aggressive thread loaded with thinly veiled scorn for longboarders? The longboard thread definitely did not take that tone, so why are you getting so defensive about it?
    it didn't start out that way but it went there right about page three- before that it was a pleasant thread and I hoped to have something similiar here instead of turning that one into a melee- and it's a running interwebz joke to start similiarly titled threads... don't ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    it didn't start out that way but it went there right about page three- before that it was a pleasant thread and I hoped to have something similiar here instead of turning that one into a melee- and it's a running interwebz joke to start similiarly titled threads... don't ya know?
    Yeah I know that. I may well have misinterpreted the tone of your thread, but

Do I have to pump it somes times just to milk enough speed up to do one good turn- yeah I do and it's more fun than just standing there when I take the top off that mushy slop.
    Sounded like the whole thread started out defensive with a passive aggressive jab against longboarders who "take the top off that mushy slop" and "just stand there." I have no gripe about whatever you find more fun or less fun, but I thought the implications in later part of that sentence were at least a little mean-spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    Sounded like the whole thread started out defensive with a passive aggressive jab against longboarders who "take the top off that mushy slop" and "just stand there." I have no gripe about whatever you find more fun or less fun, but I thought the implications in later part of that sentence were at least a little mean-spirited.
    I'm saying the "I longboard" thread started out as a celebration of what he likes but when on about page three I saw this:

question is, can you handle a longboard, or are you a frustrated lil boy who bunny hops around all day looking frustrated during small summer swells? Can you drop in on double overhead on a 10 foot, 40 year old log?
    I started this one for funsies instead of turning his thread into a donnybrook. I can have more fun than I know what to do with on a wave well under 4 feet on my slop killer.

When I'm pumping on one of the weaker ones on a two foot day and hear some old fat load talking about how he "doesn't think that looks fun" I think: great, your dumpy ass couldn't catch this wave or pump down the line anyway and when you do catch one like it on your log you just stand there anyway which doesn't look like fu to me.

The saddest thing about longboarding is most everyone who rides one doesn't do so with any skill; they ride the logs because they can't ride anything else and the guys who ride them well are the ones who are in shape and athletic enough to ride a shortboard.

people are asses... ride what you want and don't give a crap about what anyone else is doing, just do you....

I have boards from 6'4" - 9'8". Where should I post ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inland View Post
    I have boards from 6'4" - 9'8". Where should I post ?
    LSTM......laughing silently to myself. Very cute

Yeah what the hell is wrong with riding whatever you like and think is fun. I think both of the threads are as useless as a 10'6" gun in WB shore break.