LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    i have a surfboard too. are you guys surfers too?

Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    i have a surfboard too. are you guys surfers too?
    Sometimes I pee when I fart

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Sometimes I pee when I fart
    No matter what Andre the Giant rides, it's a short board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    The saddest thing about longboarding is most everyone who rides one doesn't do so with any skill; they ride the logs because they can't ride anything else and the guys who ride them well are the ones who are in shape and athletic enough to ride a shortboard.
    I think you're absolutely right.

Longboarding at a high level takes as much skill as surfing a shortboard at a high level. Standing there on either one is sad. And you're right... the best longboarders I know are good shortboarders too, and they're athletic and in shape no matter their age.

BronzeWhaler I bet you are like most "shortboarders" around here are - not even close to having the ability to properly ride what they bring to the water. People who work in surf shops want to make a sale, and risk insulting the fragile ego of the walk-in customer by advising a less performance oriented shape----well that just doesn't put food on the table. A log is the call when it gets big and super (for here) long period

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    People who work in surf shops want to make a sale, and risk insulting the fragile ego of the walk-in customer by advising a less performance oriented shape----well that just doesn't put food on the table. A log is the call when it gets big and super (for here) long period
    2 things:

1. i can't think of a single place i've ever surfed where big, long period swell called for a log. a step-up maybe, but not a log.

2. a GOOD surf shop employee will steer you toward whatever type of board will work for your ability level & the manner in which you want to surf. contrary to the seemingly popular opinion, not all surf shop employees are brainless, clueless hucksters trying to sell you the most expensive board you don't need.

you, dave, are letting your ignorance show again.

BronzeWhaler I bet you are like most "shortboarders" around here are - not even close to having the ability to properly ride what they bring to the water. People who work in surf shops want to make a sale, and risk insulting the fragile ego of the walk-in customer by advising a less performance oriented shape----well that just doesn't put food on the table. A log is the call when it gets big and super (for here) long period
    I don't buy my boards from "surf shop employees"; I call my shaper in San Clemente and he ships them to me.

Images
    oh great... here we go... another argument about nothing...

Images
    A log is the call when it gets big and super (for here) long period
    Dave,

i totally agree with you. I might ride a longboard three times a year or so, but it will almost always be mid winter, hard offshores, long period swell dragging on the bars and breaking too fast (for me) to make sections on a shortboard, or do any turns anyway. Obviously this day isnt anything big, but its mid-winter, cold water and air, 20+ offshores, 12-14 second stuff unloading on the bars way too quick. Making waves mainly because of the log.

Last edited by mitchell; May 30, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

1. i can't think of a single place i've ever surfed where big, long period swell called for a log. a step-up maybe, but not a log.
    I don't know what to tell you, sucks to be you then I guess.

I don't buy my boards from "surf shop employees"; I call my shaper in San Clemente and he ships them to me.
    really. Who? I used to live out there, well, more accurately I was TDY at Pendleton, so maybe I know him????