LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

    Question Wet suit question

    We are now wearing storm troooper 5/7 hooded suits. They are warm for these waters 40-50 degrees. However, they are heavy and can restrict your paddling and manuvers (I hate my hood!) We are gtting by ok with them though.

    We are in the central jersey location. When is the best time of year to switch to a thinner wet suit? Do you recommend a spring suit or a full body suit but thinner?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    My Aleeda 4/3 has kept me warm last 2 winters in water 45 and up. I think for 40 - 50 a 5/7 is overkill. I'd look into a 5/4/3 or a 6/5/4 hooded. I am also crazy, pretty sure I wore a spring suit when it was 59.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    5/7 - i've never heard of such a beast. you can likely find a little thiner suit that will do the trick.

    we are way far away from spring suit weather, so you dont need to have those thoughts until june or maybe the end of may if were lucky.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    5/7 - i've never heard of such a beast. you can likely find a little thiner suit that will do the trick.

    we are way far away from spring suit weather, so you dont need to have those thoughts until june or maybe the end of may if were lucky.

    Just in time to head to Costa!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    Just in time to head to Costa!!!
    jealous...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    23
    WOW! 5/7 I didn't even know that existed! haha thats crazy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    975
    Images
    951

    5/7, Yikes!

    That's even more suit than the 6m Polar I once bought from Jack Crosby. I'm guessing you're moving a lot like Ralphie in the movie "Christmas Story." Just don't fall down, but then I guess you'd float like a cork. And I concur, I absolutely HATE hoods too. Give me warm water any day.

    Just out of curiosity, have you timed how long it takes for you to get into or out of that suit? That's another thing I hate about winter.

  8. #8
    I'm still not wearing my hood! SISSIES!!! I'm way nmore of a manly man than any of you!

  9. #9
    ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

    Unhappy X-mas Story wetsuit! LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    That's even more suit than the 6m Polar I once bought from Jack Crosby. I'm guessing you're moving a lot like Ralphie in the movie "Christmas Story." Just don't fall down, but then I guess you'd float like a cork. And I concur, I absolutely HATE hoods too. Give me warm water any day.

    Just out of curiosity, have you timed how long it takes for you to get into or out of that suit? That's another thing I hate about winter.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>

    LOL- You ain't kiddin! It took me about 20 minutes to put that suit on for the first time and its a 5/6 "womans" size..so you can't imagine. When I finally got the hood on, through help and desperation from my gf, I was walking around the house like C3PO. I took the suit to the surf shop, for help... they told me that I need to "stretch the sh** out of the suit" and I would be OK.,.. Well I have been stretching the beast for 4 months now...I think I am just destined to be the C3PO sponger until I can get into at least 60 degree water again!

    PS- " I can't put my arms down"

  10. #10
    ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

    Manly

    Quote Originally Posted by chong View Post
    I'm still not wearing my hood! SISSIES!!! I'm way nmore of a manly man than any of you!
    Manly well...you've certainly got us there