LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: el salvador

Images

el salvador

this is a question for all the travelers on here. i dont want rumors!

-ok so im thinking my next trip is gonna be to el salvador... ive been to puerto escondido twice, nica, costa twice, puerto rico, and panama.

-for anyone thats been there, what the sketchiness like? i dont stay in all inclusives or resorts, not my thing. so what am i to expect? (i slept in a tent in mexico for 2 weeks so we can start from there)

-cost for staying, eating, taxis, and all that jive

-and most important, WAVES! im not planning a certain month, so tell me when you've gone and how the waves have been!
    thanks guys, hope to get some info, if any of you want some of my advice from anywhere ive been, just ask!

Images
    We went in april and did stay at a hotel. We were in the east and other than a machete carrying local on the beach one night I felt safe. The country is not polished and ready for tourism. When you go you will be seeing a real place not glossy and clean with everything from roadside fires, people selling nuts at very corner, almost no traffic rules etc. The place we stayed had a farm right across the road with roosters crowing, cows moowing, pigs squealing at all times of the day and night. There were wild cats and dogs and scorpions, I personally thought the whole thing was awesome. The ocean is not blue like you would imagine more like tea colored but the waves were perfection.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    We went in april and did stay at a hotel. We were in the east and other than a machete carrying local on the beach one night I felt safe. The country is not polished and ready for tourism. When you go you will be seeing a real place not glossy and clean with everything from roadside fires, people selling nuts at very corner, almost no traffic rules etc. The place we stayed had a farm right across the road with roosters crowing, cows moowing, pigs squealing at all times of the day and night. There were wild cats and dogs and scorpions, I personally thought the whole thing was awesome. The ocean is not blue like you would imagine more like tea colored but the waves were perfection.
    doesnt sound bad at all. what town did you stay in? and how much a night/week?

Images
    La Libertad, town life, movies (English with Spanish sub-titles) Panama House (ladies in red) fresh fish for sale right out of the boats that get hoisted up on the pier, Gloria's smoothies by the river (using genuine polio river water) and a world class rivermouth point break just a short walk down a rocky point. But then that was back in 1974, I imagine it's changed a bit since then.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    La Libertad, town life, movies (English with Spanish sub-titles) Panama House (ladies in red) fresh fish for sale right out of the boats that get hoisted up on the pier, Gloria's smoothies by the river (using genuine polio river water) and a world class rivermouth point break just a short walk down a rocky point. But then that was back in 1974, I imagine it's changed a bit since then.

damn you've never been back since?

Salvador trip

I was there in Feb of this year. You can PM me if you want.

Do it. 2 of my top 10 favorite waves are there. Awesome. Sketchy as crap almost ten years ago but fast becoming a central American destination but probably still has a ways to go. There is a thread of El Salvador... I know I've responded to at least two of them.

I'll give you one tip, head east and you'll have a much better time.

You've been everywhere in Centro and it sounds like you know the deal so it will be fine. La Libertad is the sketchiest place you will go. Its fine during the day but not the night--- el tunco has much better and cheaper accomidation, a fun but rolly wave right in front, good food and a wee bit of nightlife and it is only 10-15 minutes from punta roca...you can just hop a bus for 25 cents--- If you hadn't traveled I would say go somewhere else first.

Other poster was right about go East except last time I was in the Flores region the only choices for hotel were 90$ all inclusive deal and the family that lives right on the beach that has SUPER basic rooms for 10$ or so----im talking a **** bed in a concrete box. Also, they only had a spigot coming out of the ground for a shower---yet they are super chill and cook great food for you and have cold brews. Actually, a rat ran on top of our neighbors when they were sleeping ---ah El Salvador!

PS. get some pupusas!