LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

How many breaks from Surfin' U.S.A. have you hit?

In a lot of ways, the Beach Boys Surfin' U.S.A. is a short list of some killer breaks.
    How many breaks from Surfin' U.S.A. have you hit?

Surfin' USA
    Performed by Beach Boys

If everybody had an ocean
    Across the U. S. A.
    Then everybody'd be surfin'
    Like Californi-a
    You'd seem 'em wearing their baggies
    Huarache sandals too
    A bushy bushy blonde hairdo
    Surfin' U. S. A.

You'd catch 'em surfin' at Del Mar
    Ventura County line
    Santa Cruz and Trestle
    Australia's Narrabeen
    All over Manhattan
    And down Doheny Way

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S.A.

We'll all be planning that route
    We're gonna take real soon
    We're waxing down our surfboards
    We can't wait for June
    We'll all be gone for the summer
    We're on surfari to stay
    Tell the teacher we're surfin'
    Surfin' U. S. A.

Haggerties and Swamies
    Pacific Palisades
    San Onofre and Sunset
    Redondo Beach L. A.
    All over La Jolla
    At Wa'imea Bay.

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S. A.

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S. A.

Everybody's gone surfin'
    Surfin' U.S. A.

I've got Del Mar (Reefs, 15th St. and River Mouth), Silver Strand in Ventura, Trestles, Swamies, San Onofre, Sunset, La Jolla (hate surfin' La Jolla, traffic sucks). Never surfed anywhere but Ka'uai in H'awaii. That's where I have family.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

awesome.

ventura county line is a spot - "county line". just north of leo carillo

i got:
    ventura
    trestles
    manhattan
    swamies
    sunset
    la jolla (if bird rock counts)
    and spots in hawaii, but, uhhh, not waimea

Cool question but did you know only one Beach boy (Dennis)had interest in surfing.Although they were pretty good,kind of posers to me.

Images

beach, boys?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Cool question but did you know only one Beach boy (Dennis)had interest in surfing.Although they were pretty good,kind of posers to me.
    well brian was afraid of drowning... dennis did drown. the others were in to cars, actually. they were from hawthorne, which is more inland

Images
    there's also a short list in surfin safari....HB, malibu, rincon, cerro azul, doheny, hawaii, peru, laguna... no songs aboiut ecuador...DAMMIT!!!

Surfed County Line, Trestles, San O, Sunset, Doheny, and Manhattan during college.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    no songs about ecuador...DAMMIT!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oodKrSy0zMo

"It's true for you I'd move to Ecuador..."

Images

*sniff* (wipes tear)

Quote Originally Posted by kielsun View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oodKrSy0zMo

"It's true for you I'd move to Ecuador..."
    thanks brother

Yep, only the one surfed. We can blame the BB's, Gidget and Moondoggie all for the commercialization of surfing. Dik (hey mod what's with crossing' out) Dale is innocent ofthese charges. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Smile and their psychadelic sound, than their whole Surf Culture sound, but hey, the tunes were damn catchy. I'm a sucker for pop music. Like Coca Cola, I know it's bad for me, but I just pour in some more Bacardi and squeeze in a lime. I was just listen' to Sounds of Summer today and thougt, "man, that's a great list of breaks to cross off my list, wonder how many I've been to? Wonder if that's anybody else's list?" So I posed the question. JBay is on there too. Wanna surf Sud Afrique. That and the Gold Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Yep, only the one surfed. We can blame the BB's, Gidget and Moondoggie all for the commercialization of surfing. Dik (hey mod what's with crossing' out) Dale is innocent ofthese charges. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Smile and their psychadelic sound, than their whole Surf Culture sound, but hey, the tunes were damn catchy. I'm a sucker for pop music. Like Coca Cola, I know it's bad for me, but I just pour in some more Bacardi and squeeze in a lime. I was just listen' to Sounds of Summer today and thougt, "man, that's a great list of breaks to cross off my list, wonder how many I've been to? Wonder if that's anybody else's list?" So I posed the question. JBay is on there too. Wanna surf Sud Afrique. That and the Gold Coast.
    What you can blame for the commercialization of surfing is the whole edgy image thing that the comment that you're agreeing with promotes. The whole "they're posers and we need to ridicule the posers to maintain our cool identity that we cherish" thing is what led to the commercialization of surfing. If you create a well-defined image that you embrace and walk around like the image makes you cool, people are inevitably going to want to come in and claim that image as their own . . .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    The whole "they're posers and we need to ridicule the posers to maintain our cool identity that we cherish" thing is what led to the commercialization of surfing. If you create a well-defined image that you embrace and walk around like the image makes you cool, people are inevitably going to want to come in and claim that image as their own . . .
    indeed, sjb....that's why i act a nerdy as sh!t to keep it on the downlow......