LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    indeed, sjb....that's why i act a nerdy as sh!t to keep it on the downlow......
    I'm not saying act nerdy as ****. All I'm saying is that if you embrace it as part of your image, others are going to see it as an image that can be had and want it for themselves, and if there are enough people out there looking for an image, someone's gonna sell it to 'em.

Images

hahaaha

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop John B. View Post
    I'm not saying act nerdy as ****. All I'm saying is that if you embrace it as part of your image, others are going to see it as an image that can be had and want it for themselves, and if there are enough people out there looking for an image, someone's gonna sell it to 'em.
    just doin my part to keep the crowds at bay

County line, various Santa Cruz spots (the hook). Funny thing is some of the other spots, like Swamis, I checked and they were too packed out so I found a less crowded spot. When I've been in CA the secondary spots are so good by my standards I prefer the smaller crowds of a spot like La Conchita (AKA little rincon).

Is it just a coincidence that Sloop John B. & South Jetty Bill both use the SJB in capitals? I could be on to something here.

The Beach Boys original name?

Always funny to me how the Beach Boys era cast surfers in an image of the all-american, clean cut athletes and that was either inaccurrate or has changed back and forth over the years.

I'm kinda out on trying to "be a surfer"- I'm an individual who enjoys surfing a lot but I could care less about having the latest $100 hyperflex boardshorts or only wearing surf brand clothes aside from the essential gear, a pair or two of reefs and whatever agrees with my style that I might pick out when in a surf shop.

My parents always told me : "just be yourself" and that's all I'm trying to do.
    Last edited by Bronze Whaler; May 30, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

What you can blame for the commercialization of surfing is the whole edgy image thing that the comment that you're agreeing with promotes. The whole "they're posers and we need to ridicule the posers to maintain our cool identity that we cherish" thing is what led to the commercialization of surfing. If you create a well-defined image that you embrace and walk around like the image makes you cool, people are inevitably going to want to come in and claim that image as their own . . .
    You got me wrong slim, I love it all; but I call 'em like I see it. I was commenting on it, not casting about moral aspersions. It was more about how the surfing culture evolved; I know some of the dudes who were there in the 50's, 60's and 70's surfing those breaks. They raised me, tossed me in the water, now I surf 'em. Surfing has been commercialized. I think it's awesome. Personally, I'm a big fan of makin' money and I have friends who are Pros or have been Pros or who shape or own and work in surf shops. Heck, I used earn extra scratch in college by buyin crap boards and fixing 'em up. I'd make maybe 10-50$ off each one. I certainly don't worry about the surfing image, although I do fit into the mold of the archetypical SoCal surfer. There are certainly worse things to be, but we're kind of a dime a dozen out here. Only thing I take seriously is the water.

I do take it that you've never surfed any of the breaks though? Which is kind of what this thread was about.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; May 30, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I do take it that you've never surfed any of the breaks though? Which is kind of what this thread was about.
    Fair enough. I kinda feel the same way, anyway. I don't really care about the commercialization of surfing. I mean, I worry about the environmental implications of having millions of mass-produced surfboards getting glassed each year, but other than that I don't have much of a problem with the commercialization of surfing. I was just surprised to see the anti-commercialization sentiment mixed in with concern about image.

You were replying to someone concerned about the "posers." I don't know, maybe that's just a trigger for me because it just seems like high school insipidity.

Anyway, no. I haven't surfed any of those breaks. Maybe some day. I've actually never been to California (or Hawaii for that matter). The closest I've ever come was some surfing in Cabo on vacation a while back. I live on the East Coast (not even that much of the time anymore, now that I go to college in Pennsylvania). West Coast breaks aren't too accessible.

Images
    the pendletons.

, but other than that I don't have much of a problem with the commercialization of surfing. I was just surprised to see the anti-commercialization sentiment mixed in with concern about image.

You were replying to someone concerned about the "posers." I don't know, maybe that's just a trigger for me because it just seems like high school insipidity.

Hey Sloppy,I didn't say anything about anti-commercialization.If you want to use surfboards as props because its the cool thing to do,by all means go for it.Its a free country.If you want to dye your hair blond and wear a nice bright yellow Hollister shirt and get a tattoo of a sea horse on your lower back so you can look like a surfer,knock yourself out.But thanks for your professional evaluation on my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post

Is it just a coincidence that Sloop John B. & South Jetty Bill both use the SJB in capitals? I could be on to something here
    Mmmmmm,Very intersting.You just might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    the pendletons.
    you are correct sir

Great ?. But man people get sidetracked on these forums.
    Del Mar
    San Onofre
    Swamies
    La Jolla Shores

I guess if the Beach Boys were more into waves and less into cars, Blacks would have made it. Best spot of them all. Except for the naked dudes.