LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me read a forecast!

Whats going on guys I'm fairly new to reading reports and I thought I had a pretty solid idea of what to look for but apparently not. I'm from Long Island NY, looking at the Fire Island swell forecast and there was a reported offshore wind with a SSE swell for this morning and when I went out, nothing was out there. The tide was the only thing off it was in between high going to low when low is better but I don't think it would affect it that much where waves were barely breaking.
    I read that there was a 4 foot swell with a 7 second period with 5mph offshore winds.. thought that would produce some solid waves but there was nothing. Anything I'm missing? What should I be looking for? HELP

Check the cam's my man. Many of us have been skunked by the reports and many of us have had much success when the reports** called for slop, bottom line is you can never solely rely on them because no one can 100% predict the weather.. Use the report/predictions as more of a guide line, and know how your surf spot reacts to conditions and tides. The best thing to do is go to the beach and see whats going on, second best thing (and more economical) is using the cams and other indicators to make a good guess.

I was debating going out but decided to wait and try for tomorrow. Where did you go today and what time? Ive been looking at the Gilgo cam all day lol
    Last edited by OldSoul; May 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: I typed cams where I ment reports noted at the ** marks

Welcome to east coast surfing my friend, fickle is the best term to describe our surf. If the swell your speaking is groundswell, then an outgoing tide will usually steal most of its juice. Incoming is more ideal

Yeah I ran out to gilgo this morning around 6am and it was dead, the reports called for waist-chest but they were barely peaking it was super depressing lol. I'm taking the day off tomorrow and going out to Demo so lets hope we got something there

Ill see you there dude!

Images
    nothing like the surf cam check!

Don't rely on 1 source I use Swellinfo, Surfline and The Surfers View for the cam

Where's Demo ?

green means go. Thats all you need to know

i totally thought this was a post by Micah.

ps i hate you beryl