LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 138

Thread: nomad

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    To those in college or just starting a career: You don't have to make the really big bucks to have a great life. The key is to avoid debt like the plague, be thrifty, work hard and play hard. If you're careful with money you will retire a multi-millionaire earlier than most and live more than comfortably even if you have only earned an average income.
    I 100% agree, it wasn't until 2years after college that I realized I do not need to be making a ton of money to live the lifestyle that I desire. I believe that we, as americans, feel that we need to out-do one another through material items. Cars, houses, toys, etc. I bought a Jeep a few years ago, because I thought it would be cool to have one, and I wanted a vehicle that would take me anywhere. Now I have over 10 grand extra to pay back to a bank, which limits my chances to take trips in my Jeep. More debts= more work= less water time= less happiness.

    As of right now, I make roughly 45-50k a year, I live less than 10 minutes from 6 good waves and I have the ability to at least look at the ocean everyday. All of which I could still have without debt. I would much rather make a modest living and be able to surf and travel when I want, rather then make big money and have to give my life away to a company because I cant pull my head out of my ass and simplify my life.

    Now if you can make big money and still live the life you want, then you are onto something.
    Last edited by surfingwasteland; Jun 2, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Monmouth County Sandbar
    Posts
    47
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Instead of calling someone a local how about the realization that there are communities where you visit and these so called locals are neighbors, relatives and friends. They have developed relationships and learned to live together after years of compromise both in and out of the water. And although knowone ownes the ocean the people that live in a particular place do have a higher stake and equally higher interest in the area, thats why they live there. If you lived inland and had a small community park where neighbors got together and had a pick up game of basketball everyday at 3 oclock, can the arguement really be made that anyone can show up (from another neighborhood) take over the court, displace the neighborhood people, change the rules etc just because it is public property? This and get all worked up that the "locals" arent exactly happy to see you and might have an issue with the sudden change of the social dynamic. For some reason the the idea that the ocean belongs to everyone gives people the right to invade it and forget that it is somebody's back yard or at least their community playground.
    This should be made a sticky and readily available to paste when someone starts *****ing about locals.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    2,805
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    I bought a Jeep a few years ago, because I thought it would be cool to have one, and I wanted a vehicle that would take me anywhere.
    my jeep has been the single best car decision i've ever made. i love that thing & even though i've got about 8k left to pay off, it still affords me plenty of opportunities that would be out of reach in a car.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    170
    Images
    2
    It is interesting that many of you think I am bitter.
    I am occasionally bitter about locals and their silly attitude but I am not bitter about working hard and being well rewarded.

    Also, I like to start controversial, well read and unusual threads.
    Right?

    I did not end up circumsizing my boy - this way he will have a slighly longer manhood which in turn will allow him to be more confident and to slap locals around.
    Just joking or maybe not - depends on the day and the local...

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    2,805
    Quote Originally Posted by eppeldaa View Post
    It is interesting that many of you think I am bitter.
    I am occasionally bitter about locals and their silly attitude but I am not bitter about working hard and being well rewarded.
    people think you're bitter b/c you SOUND bitter. the entire tone of your first post reads as if you're angry & jealous that other people get to live closer to the beach than you do.

    & what "silly attitude" are you talking about? you say locals have an attitude, but then cite no examples. explain.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    my jeep has been the single best car decision i've ever made. i love that thing & even though i've got about 8k left to pay off, it still affords me plenty of opportunities that would be out of reach in a car.
    couldn't agree more, paid mine off in December....but i still miss my CJ7 sometimes.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    "eppaldaa, what is good?"

    very solid first post; made me LOL.

    Here's a modified later Ahrnold quote that also works:

    "I am cool, I am badass, blah, blah, blah"


    I was also considering going with this...

    but opted for the more subtle approach.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Weekdays: RTP / Weekends: Morehead City, NC
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    What a douche! I have a 2.5 hour commute to the coast. I think every day of giving up my great paying job here inland and moving my familiy to the coast. I would def give up the $ for the waves but can;t force that on my wife and son.
    I moved from emerald isle to Raleigh, to make more money and regret it every day. I'd love to move back to the coast, but with a wife and kids, it's hard to just pack-up and go.

  9. #49
    This thread is worthless without a copy of your W2.

    Quote Originally Posted by eppeldaa View Post
    excellent points all of you made and I hear you.

    occasionally I do drive three hours, surf, and then drive home. It is hard and my balls shrink greatly.

    I am suprised by the objections of the income I pull... or maybe that I mentioned it. Sorry, it was tasteless, you are right! I am, however, proud of it. It took a lot of work to get there. and sacrafice. and more work. and work

    I think I object to the fact that locals think they have more rights just because of proximity or something like that and usually it is all talk.

    i dunno - i still think it is a decent thread. a bit counter culture but I do like to press the opposing view.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    2,976
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    my jeep has been the single best car decision i've ever made. i love that thing & even though i've got about 8k left to pay off, it still affords me plenty of opportunities that would be out of reach in a car.
    same here but mine's paid off its a real Jeep too. Another nice thing about owning a Jeep is that it pretty much forces you to learn alot about auto mechanics....Now if I can only figure out a good way to carry my downhill bike in it...