LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 138

Thread: nomad

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,511
    Images
    5
    I would much rather read so called boring threads punctuated by an occasional off topic post than one based on nonsense where an occasional real thread sneaks in. It was getting like diarrhea of the mouth, watered down nonsense without much substance. That said I wasn't complaining, I just wasn't coming on anymore. I figured its fine if that's what it's becoming just not for me. Also it's not difficult to become a top member if all the other potential posters refrain from posting. Ten people being banned will open the board to 50 people being willing to participate without more than a passing fear of being bashed. A little bashing = tough love a lot is just abuse.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I would much rather read so called boring threads punctuated by an occasional off topic post than one based on nonsense where an occasional real thread sneaks in. It was getting like diarrhea of the mouth, watered down nonsense without much substance. That said I wasn't complaining, I just wasn't coming on anymore. I figured its fine if that's what it's becoming just not for me. Also it's not difficult to become a top member if all the other potential posters refrain from posting. Ten people being banned will open the board to 50 people being willing to participate without more than a passing fear of being bashed. A little bashing = tough love a lot is just abuse.
    See I guess that is where I differ from a lot of you, I think if a person has fear of posting on an internet froum becasue some one is going to be mean to them, then they must be scared as hell to leave their house each morning let alone get in the ocean! They are just words, you can ingonre them, they can not jump off the screen and slap you in the face. You can ignore members like I did Tunerfish and Charles and Roy at one point or not respond and the "hater" is not going to keep typing stuff for too long.

    Like a few others said if this is what it takes to keep SI running then I am for that so I can check the forecast but seeing 1000 new threads on fin choice, wetsuit colors, and all the other topics we have in the archives is just boring.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    retracR just you so you know... online advertisers are not stupid. yes they go to appropriate sites but they don't just blindly throw their clients money around. they do read forums and if its a junk site (like all those banned were turning this place into) they will skip it.
    This cleaning of house was the absolute best thing to happen to this place.
    And you know how online advertisers work becasue....
    If you are in the industry great tell me so I know wether or not to value your opinion on the subject. This is why I asked Micah.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by retracR View Post
    And you know how online advertisers work becasue....
    If you are in the industry great tell me so I know wether or not to value your opinion on the subject. This is why I asked Micah.
    I had almost 10 years with monster.com

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I had almost 10 years with monster.com
    Cool good to know, but isn't Monster.com and online employment site?

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by ukelelesurf View Post
    ...Rent my crib out every summer and take a two month surf trip...
    Great idea for those that live in tourist towns!

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by retracR View Post
    Cool good to know, but isn't Monster.com and online employment site?
    are you suggesting that there was no knowledge about online advertising there???

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ethernet
    Posts
    2,611
    I dont get any adds, I use adblock plus. Retractinator, SI has 4 trackers that read your cookies and puts adds in the boxes. The tackers are 'google analytics', 'FB connect', 'scorecard research' and 'double click'. you can download and install ghostery to look for cookie trackers and adblock plus to block adds......but when that elderly/Asian/puppy dating site pops up, they read your cookies and know your preferences.

    and I have to say some of the surf post (wetsuit choice, fin choice, etc) are some of the most boring nonsense I have ever read. Rowdiness is part of surfing, unless you are British. I will admit, it was getting unruly to the point where it may have been socially unacceptable, but I feel bad that a lot of regulars left.
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Jan 27, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    are you suggesting that there was no knowledge about online advertising there???
    No, I am saying unless YOU worked in THEIR marketing and advertising department what knowledge do YOU have on the subject? For all I know you were the maintenance man for Mosnter.com and how would I know you truly know what you are talking about? I woudl venture to say that many of us here work for companies that do online advertising but that does not mean that person is invloved in any way shape or form with it. That is why I asked you earlier what qualifies you to say how advertisers work, you gave a cryptic one sentence response of "I worked for Monster.com for 10 years" so I gave my cryptic one sentence response of "Cool good to know, but isn't Monster.com and online employment site?" That is like if I asked about a medical question and you gave an answer, I then ask what qualifications you have and you say I work at a hospital. Well great many people work at a hospital, janitors, receptionists, food service workers, should I take medical advice from them?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    I dont get any adds, I use adblock plus. Retractinator, SI has 4 trackers that read your cookies and puts adds in the boxes. The tackers are 'google analytics', 'FB connect', 'scorecard research' and 'double click'. you can download and install ghostery to look for cookie trackers and adblock plus to block adds......but when that elderly/Asian/puppy dating site pops up, they read your cookies and know your preferences.

    and I have to say some of the surf post (wetsuit choice, fin choice, etc) are some of the most boring nonsense I have ever read. Rowdiness is part of surfing, unless you are British. I will admit, it was getting unruly to the point where it may have been socially unacceptable, but I feel bad that a lot of regulars left.
    Yeah the ads don't bother me too much but good to know there is an easy way to block them, especially so they don't see I was on the Elderly Asian Dating site! And I agree with you about the boring threads.