LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

2 New Customs finished for Spencer and Eric

6'6 Simmons Glass on walnut and maple fins, coke bottle green tint, Dark green pinline polished. for eric

5'4 grovler shortboard, 5 fin convertible for spencer .

Great looking boards!
    nice job on the gloss! that is so much work!

Really dig'n that shorty

Images
    Super nice work!

Images
    Thanks Phil, you got some more boards coming soon? i always love your designs.

Images
    Nothing but sweet there!!! Love the glassed ins and the way pulled in tail on the simmons and everyone needs a good groveler

interesting pulled tail on the simmons. what was the reasoning behind that rather than leaving it wide?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    interesting pulled tail on the simmons. what was the reasoning behind that rather than leaving it wide?
    i have surfed tons of simmons, i love them all but to me the pulled in tail is just more responsive, it works a bit better in all around conditions, it is more of a "modern simmons" if you can call it that. incorporating the old and new, as everything designs always change to what the situation entails. Just preference to each rider. The tail actually is still pretty wide, just not as parallel as more "Traditional" simmons.

Images
    The boards look great. I will say that what makes a Simmons a Simmons is that wide tail with the keels, fins or whatever set way out on the edge and a very parallel outline. Just like I never understood calling a wide short board a fish just because it had a swallow tail, I think calling any shorter board with a rounded nose a Simmons is not accurate. The wide tail of a Simmons forces the rider to learn control and ride it with style. Pulling in the tail to facilitate more of a short board style of surfing makes it a shortboard. I have ridden Simmons style boards for a long time and have strong opinions on them, lol.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jun 2, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

nice looking boards...

Images
    I'd be interested in learning more about what Bob Simmons himself said about the shapes he made.

How many boards did he actually shape and what were typical rough dims and rocker?

I'm just guessing that by now, 10 times more "mini" versions of his boards have been shaped by hundreds of shapers, than Simmons actually shaped himself...is there any real connection in these boards to any shaping concept developed by Simmons?

I seem to recall hearing that he surfed the La Jolla reefs a lot. If so these places don't even really start to break at under chest-head high and have lots of power. Yet his wide tailed design is perceived as a small wave design by most, has to be modified or "modernized" just to ride in many east coast conditions.. most of which are still weaker than a smallish day in LJ.

Lots of questions...anyone know of a good write up? Did Kenvin ever write up his take on the theory? Did Hydrodynamica ever get released in a full length ?

I love the shape, have made two ones myself, but personally hate calling them Mini Simmons because it makes me feel like I'm relating my shape to something I know very little about
    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 2, 2012 at 01:22 PM.