Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan

My opinion: Money isn't everything. Money doesn't buy happiness. When I look at my two boys and how excited they are to see me when I come home from work everyday... that's worth more than gold.

+1 on making sure the spouse is down with it. While I respect zaGaffer's opinion. Different people react differently. I was a military brat with my dad gone a lot... I accepted that as what needed to get done to pay the bills. My wife is in the Navy. From 2004-2010 the longest continuous stretch we had seen each other during that time was like 6 months. Sometimes it sucks but I accepted that as what needed to get done to pay the bills..... so making sure the spouse is down with it is key.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Being deployed sucks but it's good money. Not everyone is cut out for it though. If you do go, bring a lot of baby wipes also do research on what season it's going to be when you go and pack accordingly. You'll probably end up going to one of the big bases and have easy internet access. The way I see is that you dont have to go out on patrols or anything like that, so it should be a cake walk for ya.

I'm sure you can have one of your family members help your wife with the baby stuff. Also make sure you trust her and that she isn't a crazy spender or anything else. I've seen a lot of guys that came back to an empty bank account or to a cheating wife. Bring work out clothes cuz I'm sure you'll be working out a lot.

Images
    few thoughts:

Isn't it basically an unwritten understanding that once military couples are separated because one or both are deployed, they cheat on each other. Even the ugliest woman is hot after a month of staring at dudes. The woman to man ratio is staggering. Those women become meat over there.

Don't join the military industrial complex.

Is there surf over there?

Spent most of my adult life in that part of the world. Some of my best memories are in Afghanistan. Take advantage of this opportunity.

I have spent most of my time in the south and east (Kandahar, Zabol, Ghazni, Paktika and Oruzgan). By comparison Kabul is relatively secure. But wherever you end up you might be killed or seriously wounded. Living in that kind of situation is not for everyone.

If you want to go, go. If you stay because of your family you will resent them for it.
    If your wife would cheat on you while you are in Afghanistan she'll do it while you aren't. Your marriage is either solid or it isn't.

Just my opinion and I am by no means an expert. Just sharing my experience

Why would you come to a forum where people relish discussing dumping in the water, the benefits of babywipes, and being too hungover to surf (to pick just 3 memorable examples) for advice about how to live your life? Good luck to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    few thoughts:

Isn't it basically an unwritten understanding that once military couples are separated because one or both are deployed, they cheat on each other. Even the ugliest woman is hot after a month of staring at dudes. The woman to man ratio is staggering. Those women become meat over there.

Don't join the military industrial complex.

Is there surf over there?
    LOSTsoul-Glad to see you appreciate the sacrifices others (both military and non military) have made so that you can enjoy surfing and everything this country has to offer. I am by no means a war monger but show some respect dude.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by somuchsurf View Post
    LOSTsoul-Glad to see you appreciate the sacrifices others (both military and non military) have made so that you can enjoy surfing and everything this country has to offer. I am by no means a war monger but show some respect dude.
    er...um, where was the lack of respect? Geez talk about being over sensitive......you must be a chick.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Why would you come to a forum where people relish discussing dumping in the water, the benefits of babywipes, and being too hungover to surf (to pick just 3 memorable examples) for advice about how to live your life? Good luck to you and your family.
    I'm trying not to take a defensive stance because I asked for your responses. I kinda have made up my mind, I feel like it would be a great adventure with pay to set my family on a path where we will work but not worry. I just have to get the job first... the interview went well today and I should know in 1-2 weeks

Well, I have read each of those posts you mention and commented on many more. This is the only forum I'm active on so you guys are my online community. I'm not claiming all of you but I would say that there are some people on this site that share the same values and ideas as I do.

I feel confident in my marriage and our families are close by to fill the gap and help out. 9 months is really long in the short term view but really short on the long term. There will be danger and I found out today that if I get the job, it will require me to go "outside the wire" which makes it that much more scary and exciting at the same time. Statistically speaking I'm taking more of a risk riding my bike to work than spending 9 months in the desert. However, I don't run the risk of being taken hostage on my bike.

I am apprehensive about being away from my son and talking to my wife over skype for that long, not because of infidelity on either of our parts but just the time lost. The kid will be walking and talking and I'll be a guy on a computer screen. With that said, there are plenty of soldiers out there that are doing the same thing. I'll lose precious bonding time but he won't remember it a couple months after I'm gone. This part will be the hardest I think.

This could be much ado about nothing if I don't get the job and it's a risk with a reward. Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.