LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Afghanistan

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by somuchsurf View Post
    LOSTsoul-Glad to see you appreciate the sacrifices others (both military and non military) have made so that you can enjoy surfing and everything this country has to offer. I am by no means a war monger but show some respect dude.
    er...um, where was the lack of respect? Geez talk about being over sensitive......you must be a chick.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Why would you come to a forum where people relish discussing dumping in the water, the benefits of babywipes, and being too hungover to surf (to pick just 3 memorable examples) for advice about how to live your life? Good luck to you and your family.
    I'm trying not to take a defensive stance because I asked for your responses. I kinda have made up my mind, I feel like it would be a great adventure with pay to set my family on a path where we will work but not worry. I just have to get the job first... the interview went well today and I should know in 1-2 weeks

Well, I have read each of those posts you mention and commented on many more. This is the only forum I'm active on so you guys are my online community. I'm not claiming all of you but I would say that there are some people on this site that share the same values and ideas as I do.

I feel confident in my marriage and our families are close by to fill the gap and help out. 9 months is really long in the short term view but really short on the long term. There will be danger and I found out today that if I get the job, it will require me to go "outside the wire" which makes it that much more scary and exciting at the same time. Statistically speaking I'm taking more of a risk riding my bike to work than spending 9 months in the desert. However, I don't run the risk of being taken hostage on my bike.

I am apprehensive about being away from my son and talking to my wife over skype for that long, not because of infidelity on either of our parts but just the time lost. The kid will be walking and talking and I'll be a guy on a computer screen. With that said, there are plenty of soldiers out there that are doing the same thing. I'll lose precious bonding time but he won't remember it a couple months after I'm gone. This part will be the hardest I think.

This could be much ado about nothing if I don't get the job and it's a risk with a reward. Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

It sounds like you intelligently weighed the pros and cons on weather or not to go and if given the chance you will.

Is your decision to go based on finances or to serve the greater good of the country? God bless our troops but since i've had a family I realized putting myself in that kind of danger just to make more money isn't for me. i'd rather be poor and alive. There is a real life threat over there. Think about how your loss would affect the people who love you.

If you do decide to go, goodluck and i wish you a safe return.
    Thank you for the service you are providing for our country
    Last edited by Peajay4060; Jun 5, 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    few thoughts:

Isn't it basically an unwritten understanding that once military couples are separated because one or both are deployed, they cheat on each other. Even the ugliest woman is hot after a month of staring at dudes. The woman to man ratio is staggering. Those women become meat over there.

Don't join the military industrial complex.

Is there surf over there?
    i agree with you bro.money isnt everything.dont give your life to the military industrial complex.i served in afghanistan in 2005,13bravo.lockheed martin doesnt care about your families.halliburton(xz),kbr.these guys make millions,and yes they will pay you great,but if something happens,they are not there.only real soldiers who served over there all agree with me,and the ron paul supporters.we werent fighting for freedom.dont try to bash me saying im disrespectful,iv seen firsthand how it goes down.watch IRAQ FOR SALE for a little insight.im sure some post on a forum isnt going to change your mind,but joing the army was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.i should have joined the airforce.a close friend of mine,who i knew my whole life,we signed up together,deployed together,and he didnt come back.and it wasnt at the hands of the insurgents,it was our own unit that left him to die in the desert.i saw a recent show on tv,locked up abroad on nat geo,a contractor was driving in his truck with several other soldiers,they were driving down a hostile road,and when it happened the soldiers came for their own and left the contractors there all by themselves,where the guy was a pow for several weeks.they promise you a brand new life,all the glories,take it from me,it aint worth it.if you honestly think i fought for your freedom,well your welcome.

Like I said it is not for everyone.

Also be careful when taking the advice of people(including me I guess) who claim to have served in Afghanistan on these internet forums. A lot of stories are greatly exaggerated and some are fabricated. There are entire websites devoted to outing these people (reportstolenvalor.org) Don't believe everything that you read.

I am a current member of what many on this forum call the "military industrial complex". Which I guess would include DOD, Intel Community, Defense Prime and sub-contractors, and maybe Sate Department( I am not sure on that one and one of the Ron Paul guys might want to help me out on this). We are people just like everyone else. I care about the people I work with getting killed or seriously injured very much. We don't work in the dark and answer to "the smoking man". Most are just as patriotic as LOSTsoul or cepriano and we come from all walks of life and political ideologies. Some even surf.

Do your research, weigh the costs and benefits and trust your gut. When you come back take the whole family and a brand new quiver to Mexico or PR for a month. They will love the memories you make and soon forget about the time apart.

And above all stay safe. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    I am apprehensive about being away from my son and talking to my wife over skype for that long, not because of infidelity on either of our parts but just the time lost. The kid will be walking and talking and I'll be a guy on a computer screen. With that said, there are plenty of soldiers out there that are doing the same thing. I'll lose precious bonding time but he won't remember it a couple months after I'm gone. This part will be the hardest I think.
    Given the circumstances, no amount of money is worth being away from your wife & kid for 9 months or forever, if you should happen to get killed, unless it's mandatory to do so... Go to school and get a degree if you want to make more money, some colleges offer online courses. Or live on a smaller budget. I respect all of our service men and women out there and thank them for the sacrifices they have made for the citizens of our country, despite the fact that I don't think we should have been in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Images
    Hey thanks for everyone's support on this but the decision was made for me. I didn't get selected for the job but I'll be able to stay with the wife and kid and if we every get another swell I won't miss that either.

Right on bro, sorry your missin' out on the money, but the time with your boy is irreplaceable. Congrats and I'm sorry.

Before you make a decision, what this movie. There might be dangers other than guns and bombs.

http://watchdocumentary.com/watch/gu...c9db2fd29.html

All things happen for a reason.
    Bummer you didn't get selected, but count your blessings also.
    I had the chance to work in Iraq after Desert Storm. It was alot of money for 6 months, but there was only a % of cash you could bring out of the country.
    Enjoy your family, then go surf.