LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surf Contest

dude
    thats probably one of the sickest ideas ive heard in awhile
    i def think everyone would love that

Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    "Summer Surf Off Video CHALLENGE!" Here is the Deal. No Contest day AT ALL. All the surfers that register have to put together a video of local documented footage that has proof of local scenes. Art work, Choice of music, and presentation will be judged in front of a LIVE AUDIENCE (with BEER) sometime after the Hurricane season and everyone whatches and everyone judges

Now that's what I'm talking about! That is a really good idea. I would add that you could put all the submitted videos on DVD and sell them to help fund the same event the following year. Have different catagories, like best air, best wave, and best production, etc. So that prizes are awarded not only based on the best produced video, but also the best surfing. Only problem you may run into is licensing for music if you sell the DVD. People would have to get the permission of an artist to use their work before submission.

Music no prob!

If you walk through Hollywood and say, "Do you know who Any Irons is,?" Most people would say, "who?". So as for being attacked by a record company for a surf production with music, the surf media will tell you that no one will care about it. It's not going to sell that many copies nor would anyone make any real money off of it. Needless to say, I wouldn't quit a day job for this kind of competition. It's the only fair way to judge surfing in my mind. Categories would be excellent also. Power, ariel, tubes, loggers, boogers, standups etc...as far as music, there is plenty of local bands that are writing inainly good music and would love the lil bit of exposure they can get from a surf flick. Well Micah, it looks like you need to do this????????????

Quote Originally Posted by OBlove View Post
    I have been thinking about a surf comp for a while and one of the things you have to do is cater the competition to the conditions, not the surfers. Have a "Shore Break Shoot Out" in which the biggest pit and air wins in nasty heavy shorbreak. No Scoring, No judging, Video the whole thing so you can have a playback if need be. Have a "Third Sand-Bar Power surf MARGATE" where the surfers go totally 80's-no airs, but big power turns win and groveling is not allowed. Or better yet, MY Idea that I am throwing out there for you to have a registration period of 3 months and have a "Summer Surf Off Video CHALLENGE!" Here is the Deal. No Contest day AT ALL. All the surfers that register have to put together a video of local documented footage that has proof of local scenes. Art work, Choice of music, and presentation will be judged in front of a LIVE AUDIENCE (with BEER) sometime after the Hurricane season and everyone whatches and everyone judges (The video can be 3-5 minutes long. CASH PURSE is split between videographer/surfer and you could have every ligit surf company there to give away prizes and sell stuff. Local shops will love it. NO ONES SECRET SPOT WILL BE given away, and its a contest of Desire, COMITTMENT, Artist, Selection, and teamates. I bet that will get things rolling! DO IT and you will have one big ass party along with it!
    Great idea!

This would really benefit surfers and artists alike. I really think if this were put into motion it would better the riders skill and style, and the videographer/artist/musicians would be pushed to widen their horizons, which any true artist is always looking to do. Your run of the mill contest never interested me (and I'm sure there are many others that agree), but this is right up my alley. A great way to pull together creative minds.

I hope people are as enthusiastic about this as me.

Once again, really good idea Oblove...

The past couple days i have been looking at everyones take on this whole thing
    i honestly feel that if we all got together and put all of our ideas together
    we could definitely make something work out here.
    i say we get something going

Images
    where are you gonna have the contest?

im gonna try to have it in lavallette at my beach