LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Do cops like surfers

By no means am I disrespecting cops,but it just seems they are watching me a little to closely lately.I feel a couple times lately they would just sit there and watch me to see if im going to break the law.Im talking 2 Different towns.Like I said,no disrespect but man let me just change and go home.This isnt Point Break.

Images
    Cops hate EVERYONE...suspicious or not! Don't take it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by imperial View Post
    Cops hate EVERYONE...suspicious or not! Don't take it personal.
    couldnt have put it any better lol.cops look at surfers like a bunch of burnout punks.iv been stopped a few times coming home and they look at me like im out there buying drugs.theres no beaches in elizabeth.dont take it personal,its just a police state!

Answer: Sure, as long as you obey the law.

As long as you are not breaking a law there is no reason to fear a police officer. The police officer is a public servant that cannot arrest or detain you without cause. The Police Officer is governed by law just like you are. Helps if you know your rights.

I am amazed at TV programs when a citizen is given the "right" to remain silent & does not. The Police Officer will tell you; "Anything you say, can be held againts you." I have told my kids (now grown) if they ever were in that situation to shut up.

"The police officer is a public servant that cannot arrest or detain you without cause. The Police Officer is governed by law just like you are."....ignorance is bliss

Like every other profession some cops are cool, some are 8============D. Unfortunately the law enforcement business draws more of the latter than the former. I have had some horrendous experiences with the WB cops and some NHC Deputy Sheriffs when I was younger, seemed like having surfing and sailing stickers on the back of my Trooper meant "probable cause." That said, there were some stand-up guys too. Trey Benson in WB to name one. He's a private detective now--dude is a super nice guy and always has been for the past couple decades I've known him. I've had some good conversations and interactions with all the LEO's around here--especially on the water. It's especially nice when the Wildlife Officers and the Coasties already know you are competent, that way they never stop you.
    But, I have always found that a smile and good attitude go a long way. Don't give a **** a reason to be a ****!

Images
    Surfers have always been watched close in surf towns especially if you're young......I'ts all about the stigma that comes with surfing, some warranted some not. It's always going to be there so just watch your P's and Q's if you get confronted. Cops are taught to be suspicious of everyone. You are not innocent until proven guilty so don't show your ass in public.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Like every other profession some cops are cool, some are 8============D. Unfortunately the law enforcement business draws more of the latter than the former. I have had some horrendous experiences with the WB cops and some NHC Deputy Sheriffs when I was younger, seemed like having surfing and sailing stickers on the back of my Trooper meant "probable cause." That said, there were some stand-up guys too. Trey Benson in WB to name one. He's a private detective now--dude is a super nice guy and always has been for the past couple decades I've known him. I've had some good conversations and interactions with all the LEO's around here--especially on the water. It's especially nice when the Wildlife Officers and the Coasties already know you are competent, that way they never stop you.
    But, I have always found that a smile and good attitude go a long way. Don't give a **** a reason to be a ****!
    Spot on, Be Respectful and it will get you a long way, its summer now cops are looking for any reason to bring you down, they deal with a ton of bull everyday

It really depends where you are, and the environment you're surfing in. I live in a somewhat, as many would say (not that I like to use the word) 'ghetto' beach town area. It also depends on the kind of cops that are watching you.

At my local break, a major county beach park, there are both Park Police, which are sticklers for speed limit laws (etc. you WILL get ticketed for 27 in a 25 on the main stretch) but are mostly just looking out for people. There are fights that have happened here - locals and non locals, general public, as well as fisherman against surfers. There are also federal National Park Police at my break, but they are really not out to get people, especially not surfers - when they know we are among the most environmentally conscious people out there on the water.

Then there are the county cops, Suffolk PD...don't get me started about them. Although they are rarely seen at the beach - I'm not sure if they even have jurisdiction there, especially not down on the beach itself.

to answer the original question, I'm a cop, have been for almost 20 yrs. I surf, and I like myself. The real answer is this, the police could care less that you surf. I know quite a few that surf. What we do care about is this, as stated before, don't break the law, and if you get stopped in your car you probably committed a traffic offense. As far as not talking to the police when being questioned, it usually doesn't matter, if you are in custody I got you anyway, and I'm just trying to put the icing on the cake. But by not cooperating you could be jamming yourself worse. cooperation and honesty go a long way. Finally, yes there are a$$holes in law enforcement, just as there are everywhere.