LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    If You're Scared, stay out!

    So, just a bit of a blow off steam rant.... Out this morning on dawn patrol... just me and 1 other friend. no one else out for 1/4 mile left or right of us... plenty of space... we're getting great waves just the 2 of us for like an hour... then this old timer on a log paddles up and plants himself directly ontop of us for the next 30min. We move left, he moves left... we move right he moves right....
    My buddy thought that maybe he was scared to be out by himself??? but he was catching waves, 1 or 2 at our expense.. but he made the wide open beach extremely tight....
    ehhhh.. ok I feel better... hope everyone got some this morning...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Hmmmmm. Since he was catching waves, we know it couldn't be Gruvi. But Gruvi would make the most sense to me--the guy was obviously lonely and needed to bro down.

    Hope you scored, gonna do a dp tomorrow when we should be getting the peak of the swell.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Hmmmmm. Since he was catching waves, we know it couldn't be Gruvi. But Gruvi would make the most sense to me--the guy was obviously lonely and needed to bro down.

    Hope you scored, gonna do a dp tomorrow when we should be getting the peak of the swell.
    Might have been a disciple of Gruvi "attitude". lol.
    I think we'll have declining swell tomorrow on LI ny.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    VB via PR and HI
    Posts
    231
    I did that a couple of times at an outer reef in Oahu. Not becuase it was that big, but it was such a long paddle out and I was a little sketched to surf out there solo. I would usually ask if the 3 or 4 people out there were alright with me merging into the lineup. Usually they were o.k with it. Maybe he just thought you and your friend wouldn't mind the company.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    So, just a bit of a blow off steam rant.... Out this morning on dawn patrol... just me and 1 other friend. no one else out for 1/4 mile left or right of us... plenty of space... we're getting great waves just the 2 of us for like an hour... then this old timer on a log paddles up and plants himself directly ontop of us for the next 30min. We move left, he moves left... we move right he moves right....
    My buddy thought that maybe he was scared to be out by himself??? but he was catching waves, 1 or 2 at our expense.. but he made the wide open beach extremely tight....
    ehhhh.. ok I feel better... hope everyone got some this morning...
    Sounds pretty irritating!
    Did you ask him what his deal was paddling out on you? People wont change their bothersome breaches of ettiquette if everyone just lets it slide.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Sounds pretty irritating!
    Did you ask him what his deal was paddling out on you? People wont change their bothersome breaches of ettiquette if everyone just lets it slide.
    No, I didnt say anything to him, but I was constantly paddling away from him. the break was sandbar breaks and they were pretty much the same on every beach... so it really didnt make any sense other then he was sketched being out solo... We were nearing the tail end of our session due to time and I felt like if I knew I was going to be there longer I would have been more likely to say something....
    But it was really annoying, after this guy would take a wave he would make a huge effort to paddle right back to us and pretty much sit inbetween us....

  7. #7

    Amen to that!

    I can't tell you the amount of times that situation has happen to me. I think sometimes they simply think that is the spot which is why those out already are surfing there. No! It's because we live here and surf that beach every day. Most of the times trying to get away from people like you. In OCMD it's basically the same wave up and down the beach, except for maybe the Inlet.

    So to you noobies if you see someone already out in the water and no one for blocks, WALK DOWN or UP a couple blocks. Or even better go the F*CK back to Dundalk or PA where you came from. And if you're scared then surf the lame surf beach during the day so that the life guards can save you.

    Sorry to be hostile, it's just that happens way to often and I don't want to be mean out in the water. Surfing is suppose to be relaxing.

    Peace Out!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by OCSprout View Post
    I can't tell you the amount of times that situation has happen to me. I think sometimes they simply think that is the spot which is why those out already are surfing there. No! It's because we live here and surf that beach every day. Most of the times trying to get away from people like you. In OCMD it's basically the same wave up and down the beach, except for maybe the Inlet.

    So to you noobies if you see someone already out in the water and no one for blocks, WALK DOWN or UP a couple blocks. Or even better go the F*CK back to Dundalk or PA where you came from. And if you're scared then surf the lame surf beach during the day so that the life guards can save you.

    Sorry to be hostile, it's just that happens way to often and I don't want to be mean out in the water. Surfing is suppose to be relaxing.

    Peace Out!
    LOL... I feel like I could have easily written this too!

  9. #9
    happens to me all the time on dawn patrol, as i get out early... wide open lineup and someone will paddle out and sit right on top of you. people who are not comfortable in the water seem to act like lemmings. it used to bother me to no end, but why let it ruin your session? the probability of it happening increases exponentially in the summer, yet it seems to bother me more in the winter....when i would expect a more wide open lineup.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean View, DE
    Posts
    169
    Images
    5
    This happens to me with SUPers. Don't know what that's about but no matter where I paddle an SUPer will stay right with me and then take a wave and paddle right back to where I'm hanging out! So annoying.