LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    surf etiquette:watch out for other surfers.if you see someone in trouble and they end up drowning 15 ft from u,and u just sit there and shake your head,then u are a f'd up individual.only 2 guys out and 1 more comes,that doesnt sound that bad.i try to surf near others but not right up on them.if they are on the left of a jetty and theres waves coming in all over,il sit on the right side.people forget about the etiquette nowadays,people dropping in on u,people sittin on the inside just waiting to get ran over.whats become of this thing we do?too many people are trying to surf nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    surf etiquette:watch out for other surfers.if you see someone in trouble and they end up drowning 15 ft from u,and u just sit there and shake your head,then u are a f'd up individual.only 2 guys out and 1 more comes,that doesnt sound that bad.i try to surf near others but not right up on them.if they are on the left of a jetty and theres waves coming in all over,il sit on the right side.people forget about the etiquette nowadays,people dropping in on u,people sittin on the inside just waiting to get ran over.whats become of this thing we do?too many people are trying to surf nowadays
    I always look out for my fellow surfer.... but intentionally paddling into the 10ft space repeatedly while the entire ocean, left and right, is empty of surfers makes it annoying...

Images
    No ones letting anyone drown. The point is if there are 2 people out that clearly know each other you have no business sitting on them to the point that they have to take you into account when a wave comes. The guy could have sat 100 to 200 feet away, still been within earshot if he was in trouble and respected someone else's space. If that's too far for your comfort you don't belong out there and need to wait for the swell to drop or make a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    No ones letting anyone drown. The point is if there are 2 people out that clearly know each other you have no business sitting on them to the point that they have to take you into account when a wave comes. The guy could have sat 100 to 200 feet away, still been within earshot if he was in trouble and respected someone else's space. If that's too far for your comfort you don't belong out there and need to wait for the swell to drop or make a friend.
    well said ol'chap.

I'm convinced there is nowhere you can go on this planet where this will not happen. In fact, I think the more remote the spot is the more likely it is that someone's gonna paddle out and sit on top of you either because a. they're scared to be alone b. they think you have local knowledge c. they want to be your friend or d. all of the above.

Surfing is not a social activity for me and this is part of the reason I moved to Alaska but I'll be f*cked if it doesn't happen here too. I was out on a waist high day in Homer last week - sun was shining, weather was sweet - and a kayaker was literally chasing me up and down the beach. It wasn't big or scary at all (if it had been, that's a different story). I was giving him the stinkeye left and right but he just didn't get it. So finally I was like, looks like I have to talk to this dude - and I hate BSing with people when I'm in the water, I usually just paddle away and find my own peaceful spot - so sure enough he paddles up and is all dude I'm so glad to see someone else out here and I was like yeah cool, maybe we should spread out a little bit - plenty of room, no? And he looks all hurt and says wow you're a d!ck. I just laughed and paddled away - this time he didn't follow me. I mean wtf?

hey give the old time some respect. asshole

Images
    must have been a party out there. maybe he just doesnt like goin solo all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ridedasurf View Post
    hey give the old time some respect. asshole
    Nah you're off the mark on that.

Images
    i dunno
    he seemed like a nice older fella looking for company and to be friendly
    u should have said hi

Why tell us ? You should have said something to him if it was bothering you.