LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot

longest waves on the east coast

hey guys,

Im sure someone has asked this question before, but i did a search and didnt see one. anyway ive been surfing for two years now and i would like to start learning how to do more than just go left or right with the wave. however it seems that the instant you get up and drop in and get turned one way, you have about three to five seconds before the whole dang wave is over. i normally surf holden beach or folly beach. im just wondering where the longest waves in the south east are? basically any where from wilmington down to florida. if anyone could give me some help on this i would appreciate it very much.

Thanks AJ

Depends

The east coast (especially the mid Atlantic) is made up mostly of sandbars that are constantly shifting. That combined with swell direction, wind, beach direction, etc. make the east coast really dependent. So length of rides is also constantly changing. Just a few days ago we had some of the longest rights I've ever seen in Wilmington, but the day aterward was full of close outs. Its really hit or miss. I guess Florida usually gets long rides more consistently (especially reef breaks), but I don't surf there so I can't really say.

oh ok thanks for the info. a group of us are wanting to take a trip to somewhere in the southeast. we dont really care if they are really big or anything, we just want them to be longer than what we have here.

thanks for your help david.

Images
    3 to 5 seconds is the norm for much of the east coast unfortunately.

i was afraid that is what i might hear. it sucks seeing the videos on youtube, with people riding waves that go for what seems like a whole minute. what would be the cheapest place to go to that has some decent long waves?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by radripperaj View Post
    i was afraid that is what i might hear. it sucks seeing the videos on youtube, with people riding waves that go for what seems like a whole minute. what would be the cheapest place to go to that has some decent long waves?
    The entire west coast. From Washington, through CA and all the way to the end of Baja is filled with Points and reef, many of which have those 30 second+rides available quite often. Keep practicing and watch flights... once you are confident that you can surf well enough to not drown etc, as most of these points and reefs have no life guards etc, not to mention the very shallow reefs that often produce these conditions... Those big perfect waves you see in all those videos "look" prefect and easy, but when are are actually paddling in and riding them, they offer extreme challenge... You can play a lot of them safe, but if you are caught on the inside or go over the falls up against a reef point by the line up, you could be getting pounded on rocks, reefs and numerous other dangers....

So, they are all over the world really, but still plenty within your own country.... Once you get really good on beach breaks, reefs and points are a walk in the park, unless its big and sketchy like i mentioned above... Come to a place like San Diego in the summer and there are mellow beginner reefs that are deeper and not hollow that will allow you to cruise around for a couple hundred yards all summer long... Boring for some, but if you want a "long ride", you are guaranteed one

Guatemala is cheap. Can fly Spirit

Wink hahahaha

i could tell u but then id have to kill u loose lips

Images
    east coast doesnt really have those predicatable waves like other places have. almost all of our breaks are sand related, so like stated above, we have to rely on sandbars. some places, like RI have some rock or reef bottoms that may be a bit more consistant

Images
    they ain't gonna say
    don't u know?
    find a man made object for long waves
    thats ur clue