LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    any third shift position...im switching over to third shift for that reason alone.
    Well you're a cop so that doesnt count

Images
    shaping surfboards?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    yeah i know...you could always bartend if you live in a not so touristy location. the bartenders down here make bank all year round

Quote Originally Posted by darippah View Post
    Not that I'm a cop, but why doesn't that count? Just curious. Teacher, fire-fighter, life guard, cop; they're all great public sector jobs. They're unionized, they have excellent benefits and let's face it, most offer some pretty good opportunities to surf. My sister is an ER RN, she works 60-70 hour weeks. Her BF is a fire-fighter, I think he works 3 days on 4 days off, or maybe I have that backwards. She makes more, he has a pension and a lot more leisure time. Both are high stress jobs and very personally rewarding, one is clearly better for surfing. My Father-In-Law, teaches HS, has to get to work at about 6am, works untill 4pm, gets home about 5. Lives 15 mintues from a great break, only surfs on the weekends due to lack of time, except that is for the 3 months he has off every summer. When one factors in the time teachers don't work, it actually makes up for the lower pay, after all one could argue that they could seek extra income during those month's they're not working, there by making up for the low salaries that teachers perennialy complain about. Cops, I don't know any cops personally, so I can't form an opinion. I know that in San Diego, while in the academy, City cops make about 36k$ annually. That's pretty good money during "training". I imagine that they have a similar shift rotation as fire-fighters, maybe not though, they seem to lack fire-fighter's sunny dispositions.

There's a couple of thing about all these jobs that makes them less than the ideal surfer's job:
    1) Peein' in a cup.
    2) They're ain't no money for public sector jobs.

You can expect the competition for these jobs to get fiercer and fiercer and the openings to get fewer fewer. I have a feeling that working conditions won't be what they are today either. Pension "reform" is the political buzzward of the coming election cycle and it will gut a lot of public sector pensions.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jun 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

i dont understand "i went to college for really no reason"...one thing i hate in this world is seeing people throw away a great education.if you go to college,and party your whole time there,u are a loser.its cool to party,but if you got the opportunity to make something of your life do it!!!dont throw it away.if YOUR SMART,you would make something of your life,become an investment banker or some other easy ass job where u basically make millions for nothing,then youd have money to fly to anywhere in the world,wherever there is swell.dont worry about surfing your homestate and getting a bs job so u can surf ****ty waves on the east coast.if i were u,id start off with a bachelors degree,start off making over 100,000 a year,fly to hawaii on the weekend,good swell hitting tavarua,take a few days off and hit it.dont throw away your education so u can be another kook on the shore.make something of your life.not going to college was the biggest mistake i ever did,and now i work for scumbags on a very low wage.you probly think it doesnt matter now,wait 10 years down the line when your working 50+hrs a week(like me) making enough to get you back and forth to work everyday,and only get to surf when u actually have time.i dont know how some of you people have so much time on your hands,it must be nice liven at home with the parents.MAKE SOMETHING OF YOUR LIFE.surfing is great,but being able to be your own boss is greater!!!do the right thing,and learn!!!!

Pro Surfer

...or you can devote every second of your life to becoming a pro surfer.its not as hard as people make it out to be.look at rob kelly,kid grew up in pa,moves to jersey,has money to travel,few years down the line,hes one of jerseys best surfers,has a few stickers on his board and gets to travel the world.every pro/spnosorrd/freesurf at some point traveled in their life.if you think your going to get good at surfing,surfing knee high waves a few times a month,and a few overhead barrels a few times a year you wont make it!!!iv been fortunate to go on a few trips around the globe,and its helped my surfing a lot.hurricane swells are a walk in the park now

workin mans a sucker. with that said, yeah 99% of us need jobs. commuting sucks, i would avoid that. someone mentioned shifts, good call. i try to switch shifts if i see the forecast is favorable. sometimes i get lucky, sometimes not so much. last month i switched shifts with someone last minute and worked 6a-2p. i got off and wind went offshore, chest high, blue bird skies, 75 degress. it made my week. best advice i think would be to try and find something close to where you live and surf, that you don't hate. you'll adjust to the working world, and you'll find time to surf. just a part of life.

1 - work hard, save money and travel for extended periods of time.
    2 - live no farther than a bike ride to the water
    3 - there is no three
    make those two things a reality and it doesnt matter what you do for a career, you will get plenty of water time.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    become an investment banker or some other easy ass job where u basically make millions for nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    id start off with a bachelors degree,start off making over 100,000 a year
    Been writing financial software for a decade, none of the investment bankers I know ever take it easy. These guys work 24/7, they don't take vacations, they all get divorced. All they have are nice cars, fat bank accounts, hot girlfriends and alimonies.

There's no bachelors degree in the world that guarantees a 6 figure starting salary. Certainly not in this economy, unless you are already identified as a leader or potential leader in your industry before you graduate. Petroleum engineers make about 75K$ starting. I can't think of another job like that.