LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Aerial 360s

Aerial 360s

Is seems everywhere you look, be it a contest or video its the same thing, glorifying the Aerial 360. I personally would rather see a stall into a tube, bucket throwing gouge, power 360 or even a cool floater. No, I can't do them and I kind of think I don't want to. When they aren't landed they look like a kook flailing around. Whats your take?

Images
    Whatever it is your trying to do...floater, aerial, bucket throwing gouge...
    My take is dont worry about looking like a kook when you dont land it....if you arent trying things unsuccessfully and falling on your head arms flailing some of the time, then you're missing out on progression.

I see so many people just riding down the line and doing turns in a "balance" stance all day long and wonder why not falling is so important to them. If you're rarely falling, then you're on a real slow learning curve.

I'm not worried about falling. As far as progressing I progress in the size of the surf I can handle. I go to PR and get my ass handed to me every winter, but I know my limits. Got some massive barrels there Easter week(April 5th to be exact, check it on Rinconsurfreport.com, they have a calender). I surf double overhead with caution but when I went down there for Igor, I looked at triple overhead wilderness and knew I shouldn't go out, especially since there is a small door to get in and out of the water there. Went to schoolyards instead. I'm just saying that it seems in contests or video, the aerial 360 is all over the place and seems to be regarded as the end all. Here's a great example, go to surfline today and watch the Sinestesia video.
    Last edited by StuckontheGulf; Jun 21, 2012 at 05:41 PM.

It's the evolution of the sport, get used to it. Like any board sport these days, people don't learn the basics before moving on.....so it makes for a lot of cockroaches in the water. I see guys trying airs without even knowing how to generate enough speed to do them. Downright ugly. Is what it is yo.