I'm staying down in Avon over week of the 4th. I stayed up at KDH area last summer and got some excellent breaks that worked nearly all week. A few questions:

1) water temp in Avon - do I need to pack my 4/3 full suit? Last summer in KDH in mid July the water temp dropped to 58-60 degrees for the final 4 days of my stay and my 4/3 full & boots felt great and came in very handy. My spring suit shorty I tried was freezing in those temps. Any chance Avon water temps will drop below 65 degrees over the July 4th week? I think it usually stays quite warmer that far south near the Hatteras point but just was wondering what to pack. I'll probably bring all my rubber options anyway. It doesn't take up much space.

2) Rental logs - unfortunately I'm not able to bring my custom 7'2'' Tim Bassell funboard this trip (just too many miles on the highways...going from MD to Atlanta for a few days 1st..then back up to OBX) so I'lll have to rent a log for the week. I'm disappointed with that but I guess riding a rental is better than nothing at all (or my kids boogie board). Where's best place down in Avon area or nearby to get a rental board for the week?

3) How are the breaks in Avon area compared to further north in KDH/Nags Head? I found many good breaks in KDH just driving and checking the beach access stops last year.

Thanks!