LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

North Shore Oahu in Summer

Hey guys,

I am spending a week on the North Shore of Oahu for my honeymoon. Will be third week in August. Are there ANY waves up there at all that time of year, or will I have to travel to the South Shore to surf? Not looking for anything huge, maybe just waist-head high. Everything I read says its flat, but cant tell if that means flat as a lake or just flat by winter North Shore standards.

Also spending a week in Kihei in Maui which I understand is better in the summer months.

Thanks.

No, there aren't any waves there that time of year on that part of the island. Same goes for Kauai. You can find waves elsewhere, but it really depends on the day . Any island has the best surf from Dec-Mar.

Kihei is tourist central bro. Waves are packed with beginner surfers, surf schools, and SUP. REnt a car and go elsehwere in Maui.

Images
    If you're getting a car I would focus on South shore. The drive is less then an hour but traffic in town blows. North is pretty calm this time of year, but "smaller" swells show up sometimes.
    Today: Diamond Head is 3-5 and Pipe is 1-2
    Good luck and congrats!

Images
    It will be great for your girl as the North Shore will be much quieter in the summer without all the traveling surfers, but like these guys said, surf will be down. Its doesn't take that long (45-60mins) to get to the south shore for consistent summer time waves, and you may want to travel there anyway.

Images
    you know I was wondering this since I have to be on oahu for a wedding this weekend. We'll be at turtle bay and I was wondering if its worth the airline fee to shlep a board along. Like will it be east coast in july flat or chest high "hawaiian" flat?

south shore! baby haleiwa, ala moana, tons of fun! there are endless breaks on the south shore. best bet to rent a car and explore find what looks good and seshhhhh!

Images
    Flat is flat whether you're on the East coast or in HI. I was just in Kauai for 10 days and scored fun surf on both the South and North sides. South side was anywhere from waist to a foot overhead the whole time I was there, super consistent. The North was flat most of the time but there was a solid swell peaking at head+ for a couple days before I left. From what the locals were saying it is pretty uncommon for the summer months to get any kind of swell on the North shore of the islands. Doesn't mean it won't happen though, just keep an eye on the forecast and maybe you'll get lucky.

I was there for my honeymoon as well and to be honest there was so much to do and see that I really wasn't too concerned with surfing although I did get a handful of fun sessions in.

Images
    south shore... all kinds of waves... love the south shore... just rent a car and drive. diamond head usually always has a wave if everywhere is flat

yea, I spent the first half of my life in Hanalei. There usually isn't waves in the area over the winter, but once December hits, you can get 10-40 foot waves on a daily basis. Outside Tunnels is a sick break if you catch it right, just razer sharp and crazy.

Poipu has consistent waves in the summer: PK's, Acid, Shipwreck, Poipu Beach, etc, are all great over the summer months. Just not as big as the winter months.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    Everything I read says its flat, but cant tell if that means flat as a lake
    Yup... the swell is blocked because its coming from the other direction... hence surf the south