LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am definitely stuck on the North Shore for a week because my fiance wants to stay there (not that I am opposed), but I think I am going to change the location for the second week to somewhere more surf-friendly.

I initially wanted to avoid staying on the south shore of Oahu because I understand it is very commercialized / touristy, looking for more of a laid back atmosphere. Am I wrong? Any recommendations for chill spots to stay with good summer waves? Can be any island and I definitely don't mind renting a house or condo vs. staying in a hotel. Will be renting a car.

Many thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    Kihei is tourist central bro. Waves are packed with beginner surfers, surf schools, and SUP. REnt a car and go elsehwere in Maui.
    Thanks, have been hearing this, going to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    Poipu has consistent waves in the summer: PK's, Acid, Shipwreck, Poipu Beach, etc, are all great over the summer months. Just not as big as the winter months.
    Will look into this...

Kihea flat out sucks all year round. Cruise ships come in to Kihea and all the surf schools are in that area. The wave isn't even great and the tradewinds set in by 2 pm so it gets blown out fast. Hookipa and all that area is nice to explore, but there is 1-2 hours a day that Hookipa is surfable. All the locals know that, so it can get crowded. If you want to go to Maui, explore Linai. This is a small expensive island, but some of the waves are incredible and unspoiled.

I would still recommend Kauai. Kauai is a great place. Poipu is great this time of year - the cruise ships go into Hanalei now since the water is flat. You don't see too many tourists on the breaks in Poipu. There are a few good hotels right off of Poipu - Koa Kea, Sheraton, and the Grand Hyatt Kauai. You can surf Shipwrecks, PK's, Acid Drops, Poipu beach etc all day. Shipwreck beach is kind of nuts though, so just watch for a few hours before jumping in. Don't use a leash either, or you will hit the rocks and get ****ed up. Set your rail and thats it.

PK's is another great local spot, same with Poipu. You can drive 5 minutes to Poipu beach from Grand Hyatt. Poipu has a nice right and left on the same beach. Paddle is far out though and there are nasty critters floating around so you need to time it right on when to bail. Poipu can break similar to Trestle, just don't ride the wave forever. Speak to my buddy at the surf shack and he can tell you how to ride the wave. The left on Poipu is great.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    but I think I am going to change the location for the second week to somewhere more surf-friendly.
    I have stayed here http://www.ilikaihotel.com on the South Shore last year with my wife for our anniversary. She really liked the place. It is close to all the crazyness of Waikiki, but NOT in the middle of it. Check out Bing or Google maps to get an idea. They had the best rates. The rooms are awesome- overlooking the ocean - ask for one over looking the harbor and you will get to see awesome sunsets. Big, nice rooms with balcony- If thats your thing... If you like more of a roughing it kinda feel... this is not the place. idk.
    BUT one thing I do know- and half the reason I decided to stay- is that there is a great surf break right out front- Ala Moana. Walk right out front and surf...
    Even though I have been there many many times, I would go back in a heart beat...
    Although, if you travel all the way out there, it may be worth it to check out other islands... its just easier and less hassle to stay on the south shore... I guess it depends on what kind of trip you want...
    Last edited by walkingonh2o; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Images
    I agree with surftb15 - I would recommend Kauai. Lots of fun waves and really not that crowded, depends on the time of day but you can easily surf with just a couple other people. I stayed at Kuhio Shores on the south side, our balcony overlooked PK's which was sick since I could just walk out and get on it whenever. Also got to watch a lot from our balcony while we were chilling - could see PK's, Centers and Acid Drops which provided some entertainment. Saw Bethany Hamilton out at PK's a few times and a lot of local groms absolutely ripping.

If you're thinking of hopping islands I definitely vote for Kauai.

If you want to go to Maui, explore Linai. This is a small expensive island, but some of the waves are incredible and unspoiled.
    Didn't Larry Ellison just buy this whole island??

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Didn't Larry Ellison just buy this whole island??
    98% of it.

Does the Four season hotels stay? Crazy crazy crazy.