LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is crazy

Hybrid View

This is crazy

This year seems like their has been alot more drowning than normal in NJ. There has definitely been more swell moving though this summer than in past years. Me being a lifeguard it seems crazy i keep hearing about someone else drowning. Should we have been called to duty earlier?

Nah, people just need to learn how to swim proper and what their limits are. Even people in the water everyday who swim like fish are in danger really, all it takes is your breath to get knocked outta ya or something to catch you off guard and get some water down in your throat and lungs. I know I dont ever think about it that much, but its a reality that can suck anyone in in the right conditions.

Here in Pensacola Florida we have had three this year and Summer just started. Never underestimate the rip tide

Images
    all about knowing your limits, I guard at a beach similar to others, people with summer homes think they know the surf...its funny. Ask almost anyone from an inland state what a rip current looks like and they have no clue. I had a bad hold down in puerto rico last christmas too, never been more scared in my life, but I kept my head, held my breath and got out of the situation safely. Never underestimate yourself, but never overestimate yourself.
    Last edited by superbust; Jun 21, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

people, esp. summer people, frequently forget the 2 cardinal rules of dealing w/ the ocean: 1. never turn your back on the ocean & 2. when in doubt, don't go out.
    there's also the unfortunately high likelihood that at least some of the victims were actually quite strong swimmers...in the pool. i can't tell you the number of times that i pulled "good" or "strong" lap swimmers out of rips in my 10 years as a guard. people just don't get that all water is not created equal. flat water/pool swimming is nothing at all like open water/rough water swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    people, esp. summer people, frequently forget the 2 cardinal rules of dealing w/ the ocean: 1. never turn your back on the ocean & 2. when in doubt, don't go out.
    there's also the unfortunately high likelihood that at least some of the victims were actually quite strong swimmers...in the pool. i can't tell you the number of times that i pulled "good" or "strong" lap swimmers out of rips in my 10 years as a guard. people just don't get that all water is not created equal. flat water/pool swimming is nothing at all like open water/rough water swimming.
    Never turn your back on the ocean? Your a grade A f*ggot.

Quote Originally Posted by bbking View Post
    KOOK. Learn how not to be a d.u.mb. a.s..ss

Quote Originally Posted by bbking View Post
    how do you figure? it's basic common sense, moron.

btw, it's "you're".

oh, & mr. swellinfo, i believe i received a warning last year for this sort of language.

Too many people think life should be handed to them on a silver platter and walk through life oblivious to the dangers around them. Darwin is just cleaning out the gene pool.

Cleaning out the gene pool

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    Too many people think life should be handed to them on a silver platter and walk through life oblivious to the dangers around them. Darwin is just cleaning out the gene pool.
    Im sure you wouldn't be saying that to the kids parents.Show some respect!