LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What airline sites do you use??

So I'm trying to get a trip together for late November/ early December.. This would be my first surf trip so I'm looking to keep it cheap and was leaning towards California just for the sake of staying within the states the first time.. Anybody hit SoCal that time of the year?? What's the Swell like?? What's the best area to hit?? Is it better to bundle the tickets with the hotel or go seperate?? And (as stated above) what airline sites do you normally use to book it???

Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    So I'm trying to get a trip together for late November/ early December.. This would be my first surf trip so I'm looking to keep it cheap and was leaning towards California just for the sake of staying within the states the first time.. Anybody hit SoCal that time of the year?? What's the Swell like?? What's the best area to hit?? Is it better to bundle the tickets with the hotel or go seperate?? And (as stated above) what airline sites do you normally use to book it???

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Are you a college/grad student? If you are, you should try www.studentuniverse.com

They have deals only for college kids. They usually have better fares for international locations but it is definitely worth checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by somuchsurf View Post
    Are you a college/grad student? If you are, you should try www.studentuniverse.com

They have deals only for college kids. They usually have better fares for international locations but it is definitely worth checking it out.
    unfortunatly that does not apply to me. Thanks tho

I normally start out on kayak.com, but also check Southwest (depending on where I'm going). I'm assuming you're planning on flying out of New York. I try to avoid Newark at all costs and will drive straight to JFK whenever I have to fly out of there. You can fly American non-stop for $325 - $350 to LAX. I'm not sure what to tell you for hotels... Depends on where you want to end up.

EDIT: One note. I try to avoid Philadelphia unless it is the only flight left in the world. That place is a nightmare.
    Last edited by TM79; Jul 2, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

That's a great time of year for surf here. If you're still into the bar/party scene, stay in Pacific Beach. You can surf Crystal Pier, Tourmaline (a.k.a. Old Man's) or Bird Rock. If you're past that point in your life and are looking for nice hotels and ambiance, try La Jolla or Carlsbad. Both have great breaks to offer. I'm at the point in my life that I hate lugging around boards if I don't have to. They inevitably get messed up by the airline and the 100$ to 150$ it costs each way isn’t worth it. I’d rather rent a beater. Luckily, San Diego is a surf board buyers market. There’s a board for sale posted every 10 minutes on Craigslist here and 100$ goes far. I’ve scored brand nearly new boards that cost 750$ in a shop for a bill fifty, all ‘cause some foreign exchange student was headin’ back to Tokyo, or Berlin or wherever.

One more thing, I never wear more than a 3/2 and surf year round; but some people get a little chilly out here. Water rarely gets warmer than the mid-60's, air temps rarely above the high 70's on the coast. I'm usually one of the few cats out in board shorts, even this time of year. Come Novemeber, December; there will be a lot of people out in 4/3's with booties, hoods, gloves, the works. Each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    That's a great time of year for surf here. If you're still into the bar/party scene, stay in Pacific Beach. You can surf Crystal Pier, Tourmaline (a.k.a. Old Man's) or Bird Rock. If you're past that point in your life and are looking for nice hotels and ambiance, try La Jolla or Carlsbad. Both have great breaks to offer. I'm at the point in my life that I hate lugging around boards if I don't have to. They inevitably get messed up by the airline and the 100$ to 150$ it costs each way isn’t worth it. I’d rather rent a beater. Luckily, San Diego is a surf board buyers market. There’s a board for sale posted every 10 minutes on Craigslist here and 100$ goes far. I’ve scored brand nearly new boards that cost 750$ in a shop for a bill fifty, all ‘cause some foreign exchange student was headin’ back to Tokyo, or Berlin or wherever.
    How big do the swells get beggining/mid November???

I just realized you said SoCal, sorry I assume that SoCal ends at Uppers. If you are going North Of South Orange County, vaya con dios. Remember "No Life East of I5"

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    How big do the swells get beggining/mid November???
    I'm sorry man, I wish I knew. I don't remember too many days dragging the log out that time of year. Usually it's pretty darn respectable. I'd say you're probably in for some decent sized surf. It seems like we get some pretty big waves from September to March out here.

Post script: If you're looking to go rhino huntin', SoCal might not be the place. We only get monsters out here once or twice a year, but the swell is very consistent. There are very, very few days where there's not something to ride.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jul 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I'm sorry man, I wish I knew. I don't remember too many days dragging the log out that time of year. Usually it's pretty darn respectable. I'd say you're probably in for some decent sized surf. It seems like we get some pretty big waves from September to March out here.

Post script: If you're looking to go rhino huntin', SoCal might not be the place. We only get monsters out here once or twice a year, but the swell is very consistent. There are very, very few days where there's not something to ride.
    Cool. that's good enough for me. And no. Rhino's scare me