LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storing a Longboard Outside

Hi everyone,

I'm a surfer living in Brooklyn, New York and I'm desperately looking for an affordable way to store a longboard here for occasional use. I've got no room inside our building and locker storage is really expensive. I'm thinking about storing the board out back behind our building.

It would need to be locked for security and weatherproof as it would be outside year-round. Is it sufficient to store it outside in a typical board bag, elevated off the ground a bit, and locked with a board lock to the building? I suspect the board bag would take a beating, but would the board suffer at all? I wouldn't think so, but I've never stored a board outside and haven't seen any posts or articles that talk about doing it outside some sort of shed or enclosure.

Any thoughts? Or do you know of any special products for this purpose?

Many Thanks,
    Zak
    Brooklyn, NY

you would be better off hanging it from the ceiling.

Storing your board outside is a risky option, especially in Brooklyn. I would try and exhaust all possible options inside your room, etc. Have you seen the ceiling board racks? Might be worth looking into. Storing your board outside increases the risk of it being stolen / prone to wind damage. If you do store outside, make sure to invest in a bag with plenty of padding for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by kosturzr View Post
    Any thoughts? Or do you know of any special products for this purpose?
    A couple, a board's lifespan is determined by its exposure to the elements or freak occurrence. Avoiding sunlight and extreme changes in temperature will prolong the life of a board. A longboard is typically one of the more expensive surfing items one will purchase. Unless you're going to sport a WaveJet, in which case my metaphoric hat is doffed to you.

Whenever I’m heading into the liquor store after a good sesh, I look at the surfboard strapped to my roof or bike rack and I see the stack of hundred dollar bills that it will cost to replace it. I have not been to Brooklyn in many years, but I do know that one does not leave a stack of hundred dollar bills lying around in the streets of Encinitas, CA, they will get picked up (probably by Fabio, damn, long haired, Austrian hippy is always schilling protein energy drinks at my Whole Foods, I figure he needs the money). I have cut through solid steel locks in about 2 seconds with a good bolt cutter. A good bolt cutter costs around 25$; in my saturated market, I’d say a new longboard sells for 700$ and up, sound about right? Used in excellent condition, 350$ if you get a really good deal. It does not take a derivatives trader to realize that there is an excellent potential for R.O.I. Is there razor wire protecting your backyard? If not I recommend this site:

http://www.surfboardracks.com/wall-racks

Just remember with proper motivation (I need more surfboards), you can convince your significant other that surfboards are in fact not only works of art; but excellent choices in interior design. Yes, a surfboard hanging from every ceiling, wall or standing in every corner of your house is actually avant-garde and works for any room. Decorate your home office, bedroom, living room even the children’s rooms with surfboards. Back before our first was born, my wife wanted me to paint and wall paper her room with some combination of pink unicorns, yellow ducks and variously colored flowers; instead I put a 6.95$ surfboard sling on the wall and shoved a 6’6” with a floral print bottom through it. BAM, a day of physical labor and misery avoided, a day of surfing saved, child’s room decorated. I also put up a bunch of pictures of clowns from some circus called the Insane Clown Posse. Kid still pees herself; but I don’t think that the two things are in anyway associated. What I don’t understand is why people need an M.F.A. degree to decorate, it’s so easy. Bookshelves, surfboards, high-end electronic devices, bean bags and leather furniture from La-Z-Boy.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jun 27, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Images
    hang from the ceiling with two pieces of rope one for nose and one for tail. then use a screw and on the other side an eye hook into the ceiling to loop the rope thru. the board will get destroyed or stolen out side... your choice you pick

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I also put up a bunch of pictures of clowns from some circus called the Insane Clown Posse
    Bwahahaha! That's too funny!

zaGaffer's a juggalo!

Make friends with people who live near your surf spot and leave the board at their house. And what ever you do, don't become reliant on the city life, do yourself a favor and revolve your life near the beach.

The Dark Carnival is the only thing that protects us from the threat that Fabio and his protein energy drink pose. All one needs is black clothing (wetsuit, check), white face paint (White Zanka, check), black face paint (Black Zanka, check) and bloodshot eyes (check). Surfing with an ax is a trick though. *

* zaGaffer is a professional something or other and does not advocate either surfing with the dead, running with a psychopathic hatchet nor the Juggalo lifestyle. For a full explanation of all the dangers of Juggaloism, please watch Workaholics Season 1 ep.7 "Straight Up Juggahos". Do not try this at home.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Bwahahaha! That's too funny!

zaGaffer's a juggalo!
    lol that band/group/bunch of idiots sucks so bad

Pumpmaster said it right...hang that sucker from your ceiling. I used to do that with mine when I was a kid. You just need some eye hooks and bungees.