LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. Chopping down a fun shape?

    First off, Let me just say, I have never shaped a board so I have no experience in any step of the process. I am an experienced wood worker, so I'm not an idiot, but I wanna know some opinions/stories about the topic.

    I have this old 8'0 Brian Heritage funshape, that is about as fun as stepping in dog ****. Its got a thruster fin set up with a pulled in squash tail. I rode it for the first time today after many years, and realized I wanna cut the tail off and make it a thick roundtail single fin, length in the 6'6 range.

    All the research I have done, instruct you to de-lam the entire board. Question is, is there anyway to save the Fiberglass, and just glass over the tail portion that is reshaped? Also, I would like to cut a finbox for the single fin, Is it recommended to route out the existing fiberglass for the finbox, or to re-glass the entire section?

    Thanks
    -Ryan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manasquan
    Posts
    303
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    First off, Let me just say, I have never shaped a board so I have no experience in any step of the process. I am an experienced wood worker, so I'm not an idiot, but I wanna know some opinions/stories about the topic.

    I have this old 8'0 Brian Heritage funshape, that is about as fun as stepping in dog ****. Its got a thruster fin set up with a pulled in squash tail. I rode it for the first time today after many years, and realized I wanna cut the tail off and make it a thick roundtail single fin, length in the 6'6 range.

    All the research I have done, instruct you to de-lam the entire board. Question is, is there anyway to save the Fiberglass, and just glass over the tail portion that is reshaped? Also, I would like to cut a finbox for the single fin, Is it recommended to route out the existing fiberglass for the finbox, or to re-glass the entire section?

    Thanks
    -Ryan
    first off your in for an adventure... i would say strip all the glass and re glass it all if you want it to last. if you really dont care and just want an ocean floaty toy than chop your tail shape it to what you like than glass over the remaining area. have fun take your time and do it right the first time. dont let anyone tell you not to do it. you clearly have the idea in your head and ideas are the most powerful things in the world. this idea will be with you until you do it. so go at it. whats the worst that can happen it doens't work well and your down $100.00 not the end of the world.

  3. adventure it will be, and stripping the whole thing has crossed my mind numerous times.... I will take your expertise into strong consideration. I have 3 Months before I make a move across the country and I gotta get it done before that. Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,479
    Images
    267
    Did you consider just selling the board for 75 bucks which would pay for a perfectly good 6'6" blank?

    I think lopping the rear foot and a half off will result in a board that is massively thick in the tail and with no tail rocker and soft rails where you don't want them.

    I've stripped and reglassed three boards so I have a bit of experience and my suggestion is either to buy a blank, or completely strip the glass off the funshape and shape the new board properly.

  5. #5
    I agree w/Mitchell. Your best bet is to get a blank - just like a carpentry project is easiest with new lumber etc, shaping a board is best with a fresh blank.

    Chopping just the tail off will throw off 2 things that make/break a board, rocker and foil. I rode the single fins we had back in the late 70's, they got in to waves good but pretty much just trimmed and went straight well, not too much performance = a 6'6" single fin frankenboard probably wont be too much of a step up in performance from a well shaped 8'0" tri-fin thruster.

    On the other hand choosing the right blank with well designed rocker, and a bit of foil already in it can be turned into a decent riding board by a first time shaper (skin it, template, turn the rails a bit and sand it smooth) I suggest Swaylocks.com for tips on shaping or re-shaping .
    But it is your board and hell it could be a good time even if it ends up being a POS - take some pictures and good luck!
    Jim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,470
    Images
    1
    If you really want to do it right.... follow the above advise...
    If you just want to have fun with it- chop it up!!! I did this with an old longboard I had. I broke the board into two some time ago(while surfing)... I took the tail section- which was still about 6ft... and reshaped the nose. Sure it looks ugly, and every one stares at you funny when you first paddle out (until they notice that you can actually ride the thing...) but the board it one of my favorites! It catches waves like a longboard! the best board for summer, cause I don't care if it gets dinged... plus I have found with the way that the tail is shaped- I can ride the thing finless! My suggestion- cut off the nose and reshape the nose- its easier and you will not have the problem as stated above (a fat tail)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    2,047
    Not that it seems to be a problem with my older ones; ) but I have never even attempted to de-lam a board. I'm not planning on doing it either, I'm still just learning to shape and glass new ones, but how does one go about doing that? The correct way that is, going at it with a spackling knife, straight razor or just chipping away at the glass all strike me as being potentially the wrong ways.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: type like poo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,479
    Images
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Not that it seems to be a problem with my older ones; ) but I hav e never even attempted to de-lam a board. I'm not planning on doing it either, I'm still just learning to shape and glass new ones, but how does one go about doing that? The correct way that is, going at it with a spackling knife, straight razor or just chipping away at the glass all strike me as being potentially the wrong ways.
    Its called stripping off the glass, I've never heard it called delam. Delam is a whole other issue.

    Here's how I did it. Circular saw, masonry blade (sruper tiny teeth) set the cut depth to about 1/4 inch. Run the saw back and forth from nose to tail each groove about two inches apart and just deep enough to get through the glass and hit the foam. Also hit the nose and rails. The glass will peel off the blank like a banana peel and if you set the depth correctly you will just have a bunch of shallow groove lines that will sand right out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manasquan
    Posts
    303
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Its called stripping off the glass, I've never heard it called delam. Delam is a whole other issue.

    Here's how I did it. Circular saw, masonry blade (sruper tiny teeth) set the cut depth to about 1/4 inch. Run the saw back and forth from nose to tail each groove about two inches apart and just deep enough to get through the glass and hit the foam. Also hit the nose and rails. The glass will peel off the blank like a banana peel and if you set the depth correctly you will just have a bunch of shallow groove lines that will sand right out.
    sounds reckless and i love it... haha, usually i grind the the area or whole board down than use a razor slice the top and bottom, than do the rails separately. rails are the tough part, and if you are doing eps/epoxy it is going to rip huge foam chunks off as well. poly is cake, it just flies off

  10. I considered selling the board, but then I saw some video of some dude re shaping old boards. So being the recycling hippie loser I am I decided that I want to reshape one of my old boards.... but I like all of my old boards, until I rode this one today. So Reshaping it will be, stripping all of the glass off in the coming weeks.