LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Its called stripping off the glass, I've never heard it called delam. Delam is a whole other issue.

Here's how I did it. Circular saw, masonry blade (sruper tiny teeth) set the cut depth to about 1/4 inch. Run the saw back and forth from nose to tail each groove about two inches apart and just deep enough to get through the glass and hit the foam. Also hit the nose and rails. The glass will peel off the blank like a banana peel and if you set the depth correctly you will just have a bunch of shallow groove lines that will sand right out.
    Yeah, I'd always heard it referred to as "stripping the glass" as well, but I figured I'd stick with the nomenclature of the original poster for continuity's sake. I’m definitely familiar with de-laminated boards. I was ridin’ my beater long board last night, waiting for my other stick to dry out so that I could patch a ” ding on the nose. Half the deck on that thing doesn’t even stick to the glass. Still rides okay if you’re sentimental and I keep it for visitors and ding repair days. On that note, how long do any of you Pros wait for your board to dry out before patching a ding? I wait 3 days, I have no basis for choosing this number, just one I pulled out of the air many years ago.

I really only know two shapers personally and as far as I know, neither of them refinish old boards, they just make new ones. Thanks for the info, as a hobbyist, I'm gonna stick to making a board or two a year under the direct supervision of a master and keepin’ the ones I’ve got water tight.

Images
    i stripped down one and made this, 1st time i ever shaped and no template
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Yeah, I'd always heard it referred to as "stripping the glass" as well, but I figured I'd stick with the nomenclature of the original poster for continuity's sake. I’m definitely familiar with de-laminated boards. I was ridin’ my beater long board last night, waiting for my other stick to dry out so that I could patch a ” ding on the nose. Half the deck on that thing doesn’t even stick to the glass. Still rides okay if you’re sentimental and I keep it for visitors and ding repair days. On that note, how long do any of you Pros wait for your board to dry out before patching a ding? I wait 3 days, I have no basis for choosing this number, just one I pulled out of the air many years ago.

I really only know two shapers personally and as far as I know, neither of them refinish old boards, they just make new ones. Thanks for the info, as a hobbyist, I'm gonna stick to making a board or two a year under the direct supervision of a master and keepin’ the ones I’ve got water tight.
    sorry about the de-lam mistake on my part, regardless the point that I totally effed up has been made. haha

Mex, that thing looks real good, good work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingwasteland View Post
    mex, that thing looks real good, good work.
    thanks, i made that like 2 years ago but never glassed it because of the fin boxes and repairs that effed it up

I've never seen a re-shape that was worth the effort and expense that must have been put into it... soft foam, whacked rockers, crude foils... I'm sure there are a few good ones out there, but I've seen many, and the ones I've seen have been inferior products for the money and time put into them.

Although... I did see a beautiful "art board" that was a reshape done by Ronnie Jackson. It was unbelievable.

I was thinking of re shaping a 7'4" fun board into a 6'0" short, flat, and fat summer board..... Was thinking of leaving the fins and taking all the length off of the front. Anyone done something like this?
    thanks,
    M

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MNT View Post
    I was thinking of re shaping a 7'4" fun board into a 6'0" short, flat, and fat summer board..... Was thinking of leaving the fins and taking all the length off of the front. Anyone done something like this?
    thanks,
    M
    I think losing a foot and a half off the front of the board will leave you with so little nose rocker that the board will be a handful on any kind of fun wave (the forward rails and nose will dig or nearly dig while paddling, turning etc.) and the front of the board will be way too thick. It wont be easy to cut in the rocker you need from the flat front end slab your starting with. Broken record here: my advice - sell the funshape, buy a 6'0" fish blank.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 29, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Images
    I did this to a beat up Spyder board a few years ago. It wasn't for me, but my ex's little sister. I have no idea how it rides, but i can tell you that you'll learn alot in the process. This one i found in a dumpster and was just using as a coffee table, then decided it would be good to repair the broken nose and tail and delamed deck. I'd say go for it, then experiment with different fins.

board1.jpgboard2.jpgboard3.jpgboard4.jpgboard5.jpg

Images
    more pictures

board6.jpgboard7.jpg