LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best jobs that allow time for surfing

Alright so I thought I'd start one of these for people to post any ideas or anything anyone does that allows time for surfing / traveling or whatever. I went through college for basically no reason I guess, because every job seems miserable and doesn't allow enough time for surfing.

Images
    I don't know if certain jobs are the best as much as certain situations. Having flex time and limiting your commute can make any job conducive to more surfing.

any job that is in a coastal town should give you a chance to surf. btw, thanks for taking up a slot from a more deserving kid.

Telecommuting IT gig with flex hours. Work from a laptop anywhere with a good internet connection. All you need to qualify is to be a mofo code ninja. HIII-YA! I myself am tied to a desk, but I still seem to find time to surf almost everyday. I do a lot freelance work though on my own time in just the manner described. Just hard to find a telecommuting gig with bennies. Gots to be the responsible pater familias; but back in the day, prior to Father's Day neck-ties, that's the way I kept in burritos and surf wax.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

That's easy: any type of sales where you are an independent contractor for a firm. Depending on the industry, you could be traveling up and down the coast on a regular basis or you could work from wherever there is an internet connection if the position does not require face-to-face interaction (similar to my job)
    The best part, though, is the ability to set your own schedule. You're not going to be successful at anything unless you bust your ass and put in the long hours, it's just nice to have the ability to decide when you put those hours in.

Images
    any third shift position...im switching over to third shift for that reason alone.

Images
    Music industry here. Although I commute daily from Benny Beach Belmar to New York City, No one in my office comes in until about 11am- so that lets me get dawn patrols in any time there is surf. As well as leave at 2pm on Fridays. But now that college is over and "real life" has begun I have committed to being a weekend warrior. So it's dawn patrols, weekend sessions and free shows and concerts for me!

Cool Teach

Despite the supposition that you're a stoner, if what you want to do is travel and surf, teaching is a valid option. Regardless of the fact that smoking weed is illegal in most states under most circumstances, the truth is that many of my colleagues, and YOUR teachers over the years were clearly (and admittedly) potheads.
    If you get an endorsement/certificate in Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TOEFL, TESL, etc.) You can get PAID to travel abroad, (I suggest you not do anything illegal overseas - their justice system and jails are not like ours) either close to the waves or within a short distance to world class waves. In a summer off, you can either cover a lot of ground, or become intimately knowledgeable with other countries and cultures.
    Many of the most laid back surfer dudes I grew up with are, like me, teachers. After watching Red Bull's movie "School of Surf", I want to ask the principal to let me coach a High School surf team. Find your passion, get a teaching endorsement on your degree, and change careers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robt77burke View Post
    Despite the supposition that you're a stoner, if what you want to do is travel and surf, teaching is a valid option. Regardless of the fact that smoking weed is illegal in most states under most circumstances, the truth is that many of my colleagues, and YOUR teachers over the years were clearly (and admittedly) potheads.
    If you get an endorsement/certificate in Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TOEFL, TESL, etc.) You can get PAID to travel abroad, (I suggest you not do anything illegal overseas - their justice system and jails are not like ours) either close to the waves or within a short distance to world class waves. In a summer off, you can either cover a lot of ground, or become intimately knowledgeable with other countries and cultures.
    Many of the most laid back surfer dudes I grew up with are, like me, teachers. After watching Red Bull's movie "School of Surf", I want to ask the principal to let me coach a High School surf team. Find your passion, get a teaching endorsement on your degree, and change careers.
    Very good point. But right now, it's nearly impossible to get a teaching position (obviously depending where you're located).

Win big money and be a beach bum!!