LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    that makes sense. it is about liability.

im not trying to make you contribute. but a real citizens campaign group can work. it hits elected officials where it hurts.... the voting booth

its a personal thing with Surfrider, little too much enviro and not enough surfing, but thats my opinion.

its albout who is actively participaing on how an organization is steered. not much different then this forum really.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    its albout who is actively participaing on how an organization is steered. not much different then this forum really.
    agreed, there are some very good chapters. The ones I've been involved with were terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    don't let the door hit you an the way out stupid b!tch
    54321smom, your opinion is as valued here as anyone else’s. I'll probably take some flak for that, but without dissent, there is no discussion. Is not the purpose of a forum to provide a public meeting place for open discussion? Stranded, that's a pretty dystopian vision of the future, don't you think? It might end up being the reality, but none of us can forecast what world events may come to pass with 100% accuracy. Call me an optimist, but I hope my grandchildren live in a world where the relentless pursuit of a finite amount of resources by an ever growing population is no longer an issue. What can I say, I read Thomas Moore and Aldus Huxley as a kid. I am also a person, who although I appreciate the sacrifices that the military has made, I'm not blind to the fact that it is and has been used to further corporate and individuals’ profit motivations. Case in point, the annexation of Hawaii by the United States. This was done for two reasons, to provide a coaling station for the U.S. Navy (which they already had under a 1857 treaty and wanted to expand) and to help sugar plantation owners avoid a tariff on sugar imports to the mainland. The United States pursued an expansionary doctrine throughout the latter half of 19th century and first half of the 20th century founded on the theories of a Civil War Captain named Alfred T. Mahan. Look it up, it’s called The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783; it’s a great read if you're into U.S. History spanning from post-Civil War up to WWII. The theory was that to achieve a position of global influence a nation must control international commerce and that it was in a nation’s best interests to link military expansion with private business interests. One of the biggest proponents of this school of thought was Teddy Roosevelt, who presided over one of the largest expansions of the U.S. navy and was C.I.N.C. during the Banana Wars, which were the forgotten invasions of Central America at the beginning of the 20th century:

Panama – 1903
    Dominican Republic - 1903, 1904, and 1914; occupied by the U.S. from 1916-1924
    Honduras - 1903, 1907, 1911, 1912, 1919, 1924 and 1925
    Nicaragua - occupied by the U.S. until 1933
    Haiti
    Cuba
    Puerto Rico
    Guam
    The P.I.

So, what I’m trying to say here is that there is historical precedent for 54321smom’s opinion. I’m not even going to site the CIA’s self admitted involvement in the drug trade, the Iran Contra Affair or the fabrication of evidence to justify the invasion of Iraq; all recent enough. However, the manner in which he or she presented her argument was a bit akin to spitting on someone’s uniform and calling them a baby killer. Which is akin to pumpmaster’s response of “don't let the door hit you”. Knowing a lot of people who have worked for defense contractors and in the procurement arm of the military, you can’t say that there is not graft, corruption and outright thievery going on. My former Rep. Duke Cunningham was a prime example of how the noble purpose of the U.S. military is often supplanted by greed. I beseech all of my fellow surfers, let’s keep it civil, respect other people’s opinion no matter how lib-tarded or tea-partied out they are and please remember the words of Dwight D. Eisenhower:

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jul 6, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

i have a confession to make
    i thought purpleheadedyogurtslinger was someone with purple hair that worked in a frozen yogurt shop....

how gross

It just never ends does it, gotta be something in the water in NJ.... hope the kid is ok

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-collapse?lite

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    It just never ends does it, gotta be something in the water in NJ.... hope the kid is ok

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-collapse?lite
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...162916866.html

Tragic

Quote Originally Posted by 54321smom View Post
    calling it like I see it. anyone 'protecting our freedoms' abroad should re-evaluate their jobs and see what a controlled state we live in here.

defending military adventurism is akin to defending slave traders and pirates, to deny this is to lie to yourself.

I could argue this till I'm blue in the face, but its pointless, untill you see it yourself.

Adam Kokesh, USMC and congressional candidate explains it best

The last generation of combat veterans the world will ever know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRMwVvlmLgI

The fact that someone said 'no you cant go in the ocean' should be a wake up call to all, but keep keep eating Mc****t and buying iCrapp, I'm sure it will go away. I'm talking about freedom, not the rules.

good luck yall, I can see reason isnt welcome here.
    I suggest listening to Black Sabbath's "War Pig's"...it may help you realize that the man who once got off a tour bus and snorted a line of ants was smart enough to realize who the culprits of war are. It is about the highest form of ignorance to talk sh*t on a service member of our country, these people sacrifice their lives for your personal benefit, whether you want to admit it or not, or maybe you just have no clue.

I can understand exactly where your coming from, though, because I am also guilty of seeing the **** this country has become, all in the name of greed and power, and blowing up ranting on swellinfo forums...lol. It sucks! But you know what it's f*ckin' everywhere. Over the past year, I've given deep thought into relocating to Costa Rica, they don't have a military...at all. Nothing. None. The Tico's are some of the friendliest, caring and loving people I have ever met, but man is man, and a dollar is a dollar, and man wants as many dollars as he can get, some do anything to get it, even kill you for it....Respect The Servicemen and Women of this country, or like Pumpmaster said get on a plane and get the f*ck off U.S. soil, because with that view you are an ignorant excuse for an American.
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Jul 19, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Images
    The day they shut down assateague is the day i sign papers for a jetski. Im a easy going guy but thats crossing the line. I would just go out anyway.